->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:50 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Poor Fish
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:00 pm 
Fishaholic

"So you see," concluded the Professor of Biology, "the female fish deposits her eggs, the male fish comes along and fertilizes them, and later the fish are hatched."
One of the girls held up her hand. "You mean, Professor, that the father and mother fish - that they - that before that nothing happens?"
"Nothing," said the professor, "which doubtless explains the expression, 'Poor Fish'."

Come to think of it - the birds do it, the bees do it, even the monkeys in the trees do it; but fish ? Poor fish !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice one

But you got to see Siamese Fighting fish at it, or Gouramis. Even the horney guppy seems to have a good time :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:04 pm 
Enlightened

Bobby,

you know well about this. Are you into aquarium fish keeping too?

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi,

I used to keep fish for years. It started off with the mollies and sword tails as a kid and then to the cichlids. Finally gave up when I spent most of my time fishing.

Mighty M

Post subject: Fish
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys ..

Im into fish American and Asian Arowanas .. real beautiful. Got one 26 inch South American Silver and one Asian RTG ( imported from Singapore )

Fred

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:50 pm 
Enlightened

Ahh... it's always the same. Many fishermen like to catch fish but several of them are keeping them at home too.

Dear Fredfish,
seems you selected a very expensive way of fish keeping. Arowana are one of the most expensive species around. Here in Germany you mostly get cheap versions, but in China in very small shops or on ornamental markets I saw them with prices up to several thousand US$. I'm mostly into American life bearers -the more rare ones- not molly or guppy and have a nice big tank for cichlids as well.

Did you ever notice that India is also famous for it's ornamental fish? Even species found in Cauvery get sold here at good prices. Spiny eels for example are rarely to be found at less as $20.00.
Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:14 pm 
Fishaholic

dibu wrote:
Bobby,

you know well about this. Are you into aquarium fish keeping too?

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Yes I keep fish. Now only Marine Fish and Corals, very beautiful but challenging.

I had posted pictures of one of my fish on this site.

I will be building a new 300 - 350 gl tank, but I am having the problem with letting out the exhaust from my chiller, I have to mantain a constant temperature of about 26 deg C because of the corals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:21 pm 
Fishaholic

This is my Maroon Clown fish in a coral

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:26 pm 
Fishaholic

This ones a Majestic Anglefish:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Royal Grama:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Damsel:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:06 pm 
Fishaholic

WHERE ARE THEM MERMAIDS ???? :twisted: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Those a fantastic fish. I guess it must take up a lot of your time maintaining a saltwater aquarium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Not really, once the tank is setup and properly cycled, it basically looks after it's self, you just have to change the lights regularly to mantain the correct spectrum of light, 20% - 25% water change weekly, and put the necessary additives.

The only thing that is time consuming is the watertests, calcium - Nitrate - Nitrite - Ph - silicates/ammonia (occasionally).

You never wash the tank or you kill the cycle (same thing for freshwater).

I have had several invertibrate spawnning in my tank, micro stars, ablone, snails....even asexual reproduction in soft corals, it is a very interesting hobby...also help's you understand how fish feed and how temperature effects thir feeding making you a better fisherman :D

I even kept Barramundi Cod, a kind of Grouper once but he grew too fast so I returned him back or he would eat all the other fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:53 am 
Enlightened

Dear Bobby,
great pictures and fine to know that you're involved into that great pasttime activity as well.

I've added a few photos for you (as well as for the other members) from FEHMARN Island Aquarium/Germany. They're famous for being the biggest aquarium worldwide in keeping sharks. My shark pictures -made during the visit- are not really good, but I added a few of the other tanks.

Cleaning the tank: You never change water in your saltwater tanks? For my freshwater tanks I do it on regular base, every two weeks I replace 1/3 of old water. I thought saltwater to be more complicated and never touched it seriously as it is really expensive over here, even simple fish and invertebrate never get offered at prices below 50.00 Euro.

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

Nice pics Dirk. It truly is an amazing world on the sea bed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Dirk,

My pictures are not very good (all from my fishtank), especially that of my Angelfish as she is very shy even though she has been with me for almost 4 years now.

Balancing a reef tank is very critical and you need to know and understand what creatures you wish to put in your tank, sea creatures are very aggressive, they feed on each other and produce toxins especially invertebrates that can kill or damage others, some are even toxic even fatal to humans.

If you dont understand them your hobby will be very expensive, as they will kill each other or feed upon one another. So you need to start slow and be cool...

Some examples just from your pictures:

The Tube anemone in your first picture, I had bought one and placed in my tank, I was aware that they feed on small fish but I risked it, however the next day it was destroyed, turns out that the Mantis Shrimp in my tank ate it. I have had this Mantis Shrimp in my tank for a few years now but have never seen it, I can hear the clicks it makes though. I built a trap to catch it but all I caught were the crabs in my tank, anyway some of the crabs are also destructive to corals so I got rid of those crabs.

The blue tang, I have never kept one as they are pure herbivores and suffer with “hole in the head disease” very easy if they are not given a good diet.

I have kept Bangi Cardinals (last pic), you can breed these fish, they carry the eggs in their mouth like cichlids…

The Elephant Ear mushroom corral that the Bangi is in front is a carnivore, like an anemone, at night they can feed on small fish while they are sleeping, if a fish ventures near them the basically close up and engulf the fish.

I weekly change about 25% of my water. Only clean the class with a algae scraper, the biggest problem with a reef tank is controlling phosphates. With a “fish only” tank you can use chemicals to get the phosphates out but not with corrals. A protein skimmer is a MUST. Give it a go…try “fish only” first, go with Damsels to start with. Do not buy any angelfish till you have at least 2 years experience, they are very challenging and expensive.

The secret to keeping a saltwater tank is patience, you are a fisherman, you will succeed. If you need any advice I can help, besides there are some very good forums on the net to guide you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Stuff Bobby!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:55 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Bobby,
I'll have a try for saltwater one day. At the moment I'm still happy with my freshwater tanks. As I'm travelling on a very regular base -because of business- I also feel that I cannot give the needed attention to a saltwater tank.
But a saltwater aquarium is the most beautiful way of keeping tropical fishes at home. The colours of the fish are just unbelieveable and as you have the amemonas plants are not missing at all. Several times I had the idea to set up a tank for cichlids from the great African lakes. Finally I never realized that idea as I thought I might miss the green of the plants.

Dirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:59 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Dibu,

The problem with African Cichlids (a lot of them) is once they start to breed you cannot stop them and they make a mess of your gravel bed.

South American Cichlids are a better option, I have kept Discuss in the past I will post some pictures of a breeding pair with eggs later..