->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:13 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Which freshwater fish would you prefer to catch
Rohu 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Mahseer 63%  63%  [ 20 ]
Trout 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Murrel 13%  13%  [ 4 ]
Mrigal (Mori) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Singhara 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Grass Carp 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Catla 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Goonch 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Mulli 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 32
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi guys, as an angler , if given a choice which fish would you target most of the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:11 pm 
Fishaholic

Sualeh!!
This is not a fair poll. Each fish has something different to offer. Which makes every single one special. Honestly I could add even those small 'pooti' (minnows) to the list, they have given me so much pleasure and have taught me so much.

And most importantly. Why the fluff have you not included turtles in the list. You know how I feel about them. :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mahaseeken
I fully agree that each fish has something different to offer but still one has his own preferences. Like whenever given an opportunity, i would always go for lure fishing( trout and mahseer to be more precise). Actually i needed this data for an article that i intend writing. How can we make this poll more fair? Any suggestions.

And for the turtle thing!!! THOUSEND APPOLOGIES. it was a big mistake. [smilie=smack.gif]
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:06 am 
Fishaholic

Sualeh Sahib,

Is the article for the PGFA?

As you know Im a lure fishing fanatic, so my top five would be trout, mahseer, singhara, mulley and sowl.

Any reports about the situation at Marala? I have an old friend who once caught a fifteen pound mulley on a plug there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Fateh
I believe you have not casted your vote for trout. Yes, there are lots of mulleys in marala and i have seen much bigger than 15 lbs being caught (not by me though). October will be prime fishing time in Marala. See my PM.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Sualeh,

I hope you are not trying to eliminate the goonch ! Just kidding. Mine would be Masheer ,Trout, Murrel and Mulleys. I would like to mention Rohu and Catla but i to have no idea how to catch them.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:33 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Jeen
I had an educative discussion with KenL on releasing/not releasing Goonch. Interestingly, i have only caught two goonches so far in my angling career (i did not release both but did not take home either because of low quality meat;gave them to locals).
As for the polls, I also have almost the same preference as you except that i would prefer a large size trout over a Mahseer. Reason is not just the fighting ability of trout/mahseer but the grandeur, scenic beauty and hiking pleasure that is often part of trout fishing in Pakistan.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:23 am 
Fishaholic

Am caught in between the Mahseer and the Catla.. Both having a different and equal appeal to me.. The experience to catch a mahseer will forever be with me.. trekking thru some rough terrain, camping in the jungles, wading through waist deep water , standing on slippery rocks.... all for that perfect pool or run of water and rapids where the big ones swim.. And the fight is something to experience to know the thrill...

For catlas, its all about stalking and being very stealthy.. The fish are very shy and wary. You need to use some real good groundbait to get the catla to remain in your swim without any fear. Since catlas' diet differ from the diet of other carps, its a challenge in getting the right groundbait to keep the other buggers away.. Easier said than done.. However once you have caught a catla of above 10kgs, you know u have arrived as an angler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:44 am 
Fishaholic

I have never caught a mahaseer, But a lot of Rohus, mrigal and a few catlas. I am not sure which one i should vote for. [

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Am i the only one so far who voted for trout???? :cry: :cry: Is trout not a popular gamefish or lot many anglers do not get an opportunity to catch trout??? [smilie=huh-ani.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Sualeh, if we had trout accessible like you do, I would have voted for trout. Unfortunately not all of us are lucky to have locations as nice as yours. As Mken has said, this is not a fair poll due to location restrictions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:11 am 
Fishaholic

I voted trout.

As Sualeh Sahib mentioned, its the whole experience of trout fishing that makes it wondeful, trout always happen to live in beautiful places!

To be fair though the fight of a mahseer is the best their is and singharas and mulleys are great to catch on lures. In fact I'd prefer to catch a twenty pound mulley than a five pound trout.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:52 am 
Fishaholic

Thats indeed a good preference Ali but not really fair. I would also like to catch a 20 lb fish of any specie as compared to 5 lb specimen of another. Hope you got my PM.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:49 am 
Fishaholic

Not really, I'd prefer to catch a 5 lb. trout than 20 lb. common carp or even a 20 lb. rohu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Am caught in between the Mahseer and the Catla.. Both having a different and equal appeal to me.. The experience to catch a mahseer will forever be with me.. trekking thru some rough terrain, camping in the jungles, wading through waist deep water , standing on slippery rocks.... all for that perfect pool or run of water and rapids where the big ones swim.. And the fight is something to experience to know the thrill...

You forgot to mention about wetting your chaddis when you heard the crick crick sound that turned out to be a monkey walking over dead leaves :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:38 am 
Fishaholic

rulerofsun wrote:
I am not sure which one i should vote for. [

Hi rulerofsun, vote for the one which you always like to catch. Rohu is one of the best to catch on any day and catla probably the most difficult.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:49 am 

Hi..

As far as the the thrill of fishing is concerned, every and any catch is worth it. Can not single out any one fish on that count.
But, I voted for Murrel..maily because, it tastes great and can go to the pots legally...

Arokiaraj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
You forgot to mention about wetting your chaddis when you heard the crick crick sound that turned out to be a monkey walking over dead leaves

:lol: :oops: :lol: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:20 pm 
Fishaholic

No experience about Mahseers at all...:((

I'll go with the Catlas.....:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:47 am 

Ok a bit biased, being a carp fan but I still have to go with the Mahseer. Never knew a carp could run with that much drag on a reel! Also basing this on it's aesthetics, game, growth potential and adulation received over the century. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:03 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,
I do not vote for any fish that thats bait! I vote for fish species that that are caught on spinners or plugs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Hie Michaelaga, may vote for trout/mahseer/mulli/murrel/goonch then. :wink: they are all caught on spinners/plugs. 8)
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Dont forget singhara!

Call me a blasphemer, but I enjoy casting and trolling(especially casting) lures to singhara and mulley almost as much as spinning for mahseer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:17 am 
Fishaholic

Sorry Ali :oops: Singharas included in the list with honours.