->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:08 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Some fish off the boat
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:40 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Pals,

A cuple of pictures. The grouper was landed by my son using a red & white Rapalla Plug. The Golden Trevally by my fly fishing fiend.

Tight lines
Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:30 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Jeen,
While trolling for grouper what speed are you at?Do you find that the water clarity makes any difference?what lure colours work best?
One question i have always thought about is how important is lure colour anyway?any thoughts on this?

Post subject: Boat Fishing
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Godfrey,

Well the speed to trawl for grouper is 4to 5 Knots. Talking about lure colour... i might set off a storm in a tea cup here...

Frankly speaking I really dont think it is the colour that attracts the fish. THe flashy lures i feel are more to hook the angler than the fish.Do fish see colour I wonder !. THen what could it be?. I think it is the shape and size of the lure that matters.Fish look for familiar size and shape of natural bait that they are familiar with .
THe reason why silver spoons and Rapala minnows work, I persume is because of the light it reflects like a live minnow( the silver flash).
Well now the reson why angling has got us by the b---ls the fact that we cannot see under water and our imagination if free to run wild . Some of the stories I hear about anglers catching carp on special foods laced with booze to get the fish addicted and such stuff makes me wonder!
I have no doubts about these professionals catching more fish than the rest.However coming to think of it are we guys not guilty of attributing human qualities and traits to simple creatures of nature.

Tight Lines Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Jeen , man from Munnar , u are one wise cookie , I agree with your hypothesis , just like the ole man and the sea , Life is but a dream .. reality is on the other side . here today ... there tomorrow . like someone told me " every time you go to sleep , your body dies so that you may wake up once again ,fresh , inquisitive , awake and , ALIVE ". Tight lines and happiness always

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Stuff Jeen,

I do believe fish a lot of see in colour, otherwise they would not they would not be so colourful, blaze and light up depending on their moods, it is a means of communication.

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:32 pm 
Enlightened

Hi Jeen,
I can see we have a few thinking men here!Thanks for the info.As the saying goes-lures catch many more fishermen than fish!
I feel that size and action,and depth are more important than colour.
Have had occasions when two of us have been fishing the same lures but different colour and they would go for only one colour.This other guy was pulling them in hand over fist and i was left holding the gaff!!
Anyone have any similiar experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Just to add some more.

I agree with Jeens suggestion that lures catch more fishermen than fish. As far as colour goes I have found that iridescent lures work better as they reflect light like a baitfish would.

My favourite colours are Yellow/Greens and Red/White.

I must relate an incident with a red/white lure, I was fishing with a Yo-Zuri Red/White Alle Magnet lure a the fish were going crazy, I had take 3 fish in 10 casts, the 4th one took the lure down a hole. I then took out a SureCatch lure that was identical in colour, size, weight and dynamics or so I presumed…

Believe it or not, for the next half hour or so nothing happened, I checked the action of the lure in the water, all was fine, still nothing, from the hot crazy action I was having to nothing. I changed the lure to a Gold Black, nothing then I changed back a Red-White lure Yo-Zuri exactly like the one I lost, and first cast landed a fish and the action was hot again.

I would not believe this story if it had not happened to me.

On my last trip, I hooked into a large Mangrove Jack that ran with my Red/White lure around some rocks and cut through 80lb leader and got away, I put another lure identical in all ways and nothing happened for the next 40 minutes or so, the moment I changed to a blue/mauve lure slightly different in shape, it was taken on the first cast, this time I landed the bugger.

Bobby