->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:13 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: GT bonanza off chennai
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:51 am 

Did anyone in Chennai join in this harvest?? from todays Times of India. Prithvi & Robert, get ready ;)

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... 789604.cms

CHENNAI: In Hawaiian history, the giant trevally ( Carnax ignobilis), commonly known as rock fish, is known for its strength and warrior- like qualities. For fishermen in Chinna Neelankarai, a hamlet on the East Coast Road (ECR), these fish are a gold mine. One fish fetches anywhere between Rs 150 and Rs 300 at the local market, depending on its size and weight. On Thursday, they caught over 5,000 giant trevally at Kanathur, a few km from their hamlet. .........................................

Read more: Fishermen along ECR turn lucky - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city ... z133QI9dP0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Damn :shock: thats murder man...... I have just shifted to Madras (Chennai) Looking for some game over the weekends... Lets hope they leave some for us.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Sad to read things like this happen. I wonder if they get together in such large numbers before they breed? Or if it's after bait or some sort of an annual migration? The largest shoals I've see are 200 to 300 and that too only twice.
No Wonder the species is declining?!

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:27 pm 
Fishaholic

There could be a lot more money to be made from recreational fishing, what a pity. It would take a lot of education and some marketing but it could be done.

I was watching a CNN Australia program some years ago about banning commercial fishing on some Aussie rivers and only promoting recreational angling, they did a study where people spent some AU$ 5000 or was it 6000 to land one barra (which was released) on average (this included transport/tackle/housing etc.) v/s what was made from barra sold for the table, it was a considerable difference.

Another good documentary to watch is called “Shores of Silence” it is and award winning documentary made by an Indian guy called Mike Pandey there is one seen in Gujarat if I recall correctly where they just butcher these creatures and sell the flesh for just a few rupees a KG, there is a comparison made with some other countries where people spend up to US$ 200 for a ticket to just see these creatures and it is not guaranteed.

I just managed finding this link for those interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZVZ_jOoaWk