->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:06 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Trolling
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:56 am 

Hello everyone!

I've just finished remodeling and rigging up my boat for proper fishing and trolling across the waters of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates. Being relatively new to trolling, I was hoping I could get a few pointers from amongst the vast group of veteran anglers here.

I need help in basic questions I have:

- When trolling, is it a MUST to use leaders? If so, should I use simple wire leaders or is there more to it?

- What are optimal speeds?

- should I start off focusing on artificial lures? Or should I go for skirted baitfish on hooks?

- Can i simply tie my line to the lure itself, without a leader?

I Hope anyone can offer me their advice, I would really appreciate help with this as I hope that this remodeling of my boat is a start of more fishing fun.

Thanks!

Z.

http://z-fishfinder.blogspot.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:08 am 
Fishaholic

Yes leaders are essiential when trolling.

Use wire only when the razor gang is about, especially fish like Spanish Mackrel and Wahoo. You could take Dogtooth tuna and Barracuda with Mono/Fluro leaders but you may want to opt for Wire leaders for these fishes as well.

Use Mono/Fluro for Billfish and Tuna.

Trolling speed will depend on the Lure you are using and the species you are after. A lot of lipped lures tend to leap out of the water when trolled fast, this may look attractive and to me it does but for some reason I have only hooked a fish once when the lure was doing that.

For me, 5 - 8 knots seems to work best with, 5 - 6 knots being the most productive with Minnow/Bonita lures and 5 for fresh baits and 7 - 8 knots with jetheads. You need to expeiriment with speeds and depth, on certain days fish will take faster moving targets or slower moving targets.

There are times when you know the fish are there and can feel them in your bones but they do not take. They could just be shy of the boat and you need to troll your lure further back, gradually you can coax the fish to come closer to the boat.

Look for birds, low flying can circling birds are a sure sign of activity, watch for changes in water colour. I have seen what only can be decribed as clouds of fish, the water gets dark in clouds like rain clouds above.

Hope this helps

Post subject: WELCOME ABOARD
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:46 am 
Fishaholic

Salam Malaikum :)

Chief,

It is the rule of the forum that you should introduce yourself on the Introduction Thread:

http://www.indianangler.com/viewforum.php?f=5

By the way I was there waiting for your call on Friday. I even sent you a text. I did fish the spot I told you. Looks very promising. Did not manage to hook up anything buy spotted a few dolphins and yes there are pelagics in that area as one of my catch was reduced to a quarter. I tried lures and poppers but no hits. Well I guess I'll get lucky next time :)

For trolling what Bobby has said is precise. In Abu Dhabi Water I would suggest you use wire leaders as most of the hook ups are pelagics including the black tip. Your trolling speed -> try not to exceed 9 knots as we have had no go trying to troll above 9 knots. Flashy Yozuri's have proven to produce good catch rate but not limited.

Cheers Mate,

DeZZ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi there,

What Bobby told is true but I will recommend 3-4 knots for your Kayak fishing. You can use tight action lures and you can manipulate the lure action by rowing your kayak at slow with sudden forward burst. It is better to row the kayak in a sinusoidal wave pattern rather than rowing it straight.

Regards,

Ali. :-)

PS - Just drifting your Kayak over some reef or structures with live bait may produce some amazing results. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Z,
Bobby and Ali have summed it all up, all I can add is move in, around and parallel to whatever structures you see sure hits all the time.
Have fun trolling mate and have some good fights Image