->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:34 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Fish Id needed
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Was wondering if any of you have come across the fish below. We had one recently..... the first, on a light surface lure. Looks like some kind of a trevally/amberjack?

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:55 am 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,

Nice one...got me in a bit of a spin.

Both fish like GT's and Amber Jacks come from the Carangidae family.

Noted that fish like Amberjack have a short pectorial fin where as fish what we reffer to Trevallies have a long/extendended/pronounced pectorial fin, so Trevally (caran/caranx)

I am pretty certain it is a yellowspotted trevally Carangoides Fulvoguttatus or a Carangoides bartholomei

Bobby[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

I had a funny feeling you'd be the guy to answer this one. I also think its a gold spotted trevally, only with this fish I couldn't see the gold spots :lol:

Thanks,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:31 am 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:
I also think its a gold spotted trevally, only with this fish I couldn't see the gold spots :lol:

Hence the "Spin" as I too could not see the spots :lol: however I have noted with a lot of these spotted fish the larger ones tend to loose them spots

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi guys,

Thats a lovely fish. Looks more to me like a bludger trevally.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:08 am 
Fishaholic

ooops

Last edited by Mahaseerken on Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: watching what
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:52 am 
Enlightened

I like it Ken, Ilike it
H.G.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:09 pm 
Fishaholic

lovely fish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Another one for you, but this one's simple. Had this on an amazingly successful lure by Strike Pro, nicknamed 'Swimming Fish' for some strange reason by the angler who used it here.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject: Titan trigger fish
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:28 pm 
Enlightened

hmm....probably dont need Bobby's expertise here....thats a Titan Trigger Fish isnt it ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:37 am 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,

Did not log on last few days, enjoying Chinese New Year holidays

That is a lovely fish..

It's a Black Lipped Triggerfish Balistoides viridescens

They grow quite large 25 - 30 inches...

I have never caught a trigger fish on lure, I recall trying to catch a queen trigger a pins minnow, she used to chase it right up to the point where I took the lure out of the water.

I had a few in my tank, they have very sharp teeth and do nip on your fingers, which they can bite clean through, I have know triggers to bite right through some small hooks...

Intresting leader but Mono braided twists a hell of a lot and can ruin the action of some lures, try making it out of spiderwire, they fall really well.

Bobby

Post subject: Re: Titan trigger fish
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Sudhir wrote:
hmm....probably dont need Bobby's expertise here....thats a Titan Trigger Fish isnt it ?

Correct mate, Blacked Lipped/Titan Trigger same fish :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

Another one for you mate..... this one was landed on jig, in about 50 meters of water. This pic was taken by Wolf who was out with us last month for a couple of weeks.....

I've got a couple more.... will see if I can find them since I have a couple of days free.....

Sudhir should have a picture of what I think is a Bludger Trevally.... if he see's this post I hope he adds the picture to this thread.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:08 am 
Fishaholic

This is a Long-Nosed Trevally or Grunting Trevally Caranfoides chrysophrys

The pronounced shout, spot on the top of the Gill Plate, Blunt tail Fin and wave like structured body point to this.

She should have croaked or Grunded when she was landed, did she?

It is a good table fish, tastes like Mackrel for those who want to know. The fish is a fully grown adult may even be a record of some sort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

You're a star!! Have you seen these fish before? It's the only one we've caught. What's the average size of these guys?

I will be fishing with a 'specimen hunter' towards the end of the month..... may land some interesting stuff then. Will keep you posted once I'm back...

Bobby wrote:
The fish is a fully grown adult may even be a record of some sort.

Ahem.... could the local IGFA rep comment on the above :wink:

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,

Yes I have seen them before, I stroll through fish markets and net catches a lot to see what kind of fish are present. Fish take on different colours and sheen once dead for a while, I am sure you know that. Ryan has done a fantastic job capturing the light.

This fish grow to 19" tops from my books. The ones I have seen were a lot smaller, about half the size, net caught.

Specimen and location hunting is really great, there is nothing like catching a new fish and in a location you find. The feeling of satisfaction is immence.

Sometimes there are places staring people in the face and they just don't see it. I like to keep quite about these places I find and about the techinques I use to catch fish in these places now. As I have seen a few places literally raped. Sometimes just changing the leader or taking off a clip is the difference between success or failure.

Let me know with what you come up. All the best.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Bobby,

I was trying to keep this post with fish from the Carangidae family but I strayed with the Titan Trigger I guess....

I managed to dig this one out from a trip earlier in the season. A little chap caught on jig.

Also have a picture of a Gold Spotted Trevally which will follow later tonight.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

Bobby wrote:
This is a Long-Nosed Trevally or Grunting Trevally Caranfoides chrysophrys

The pronounced shout, spot on the top of the Gill Plate, Blunt tail Fin and wave like structured body point to this.

She should have croaked or Grunded when she was landed, did she?

It is a good table fish, tastes like Mackrel for those who want to know. The fish is a fully grown adult may even be a record of some sort.

Bobby did you mean "Carangoides chrysophrys" ? If you guys have this fish ID correct, then there is no IGFA record for this species yet.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:32 pm 
Fishaholic

That is correct Bops, forgive my Typo..

MM I believe that the small felow is also a Long Nosed Trevally - juvenile
another Carangoides chrysophrys but I am not 100% sure. The Anal and Dorsal fins in very young Long Nosed Trevallies tend to be longer and pronounced. They shorten as the fish grows.

The open mouth is throwing me off.

I dare say, could even be a juvi GT I dare say. But quite unlike any I have caught or seen. The colour is a bit different and Lateral line ridge is a lot less pronounced than a Juvi GT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:19 pm 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:

Bobby did you mean "Carangoides chrysophrys" ? If you guys have this fish ID correct, then there is no IGFA record for this species yet.

Bops

Hi Bops,

I guess there must be so many fish there that don't have a 'record'... that's the interesting thing with fishing here with bait or jig. You just never know what you'll pull up. With the popping it's a little less exciting in terms of catch, cos we're specifically targetting GT. 95% of fish caught on popper are GT.....would be different if people tried different areas, size of popper etc....

Bobby wrote:

MM I believe that the small felow is also a Long Nosed Trevally - juvenile
another Carangoides chrysophrys but I am not 100% sure. The Anal and Dorsal fins in very young Long Nosed Trevallies tend to be longer and pronounced. They shorten as the fish grows.

The open mouth is throwing me off.

I dare say, could even be a juvi GT I dare say. But quite unlike any I have caught or seen. The colour is a bit different and Lateral line ridge is a lot less pronounced than a Juvi GT.

Bobby,

I guess it's always going to be a problem with juvenile fish... esp ones that change as they mature. Was wondering if this would be a juvenile Gold Spotted Trevally?

The open mouth Bobby is probably the weight of the jig?!

Juvenile GT look like their grown ups.... I've seen little 3 inch fish attack schools of small bait fish at the jetties.... Will post a picture of a little guy who was probably trying to make friends with a popper and got too close :lol: .

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby,

This is one of the smallest GT we've had. They look exactly like their grown ups.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject: Gold Spotted Trevally
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:48 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby/Guys,

It took me awhile to find this pic. We don't have many of these fish on popper but catch quite a few on jig.

Same fish as the first pic I posted in this thread :?: :roll: :?:

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:52 am 
Fishaholic

I was referring to some of my books and they show species of fish where the Juvi looks different. While I am almost certain that the small one is a juvi Long Nosed Trevally. It also looks quite close to a juiv GT (in one book) but I have serious doubts it is a Juvi GT. I have caught smaller GT's than the one in that picture and they did not look anything like the one in that picture. I am recollecting smaller/palm size GT's that I have seen in the market and they look different from that pic too.

You would have known if it were a juvi GT as you saw it with it's mouth closed.

Post subject: Fish ID
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:35 am 
Enlightened

MM,

The photo is in my last post...
http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=1470

cheers,
Sudhir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:53 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Sudhir,

Don't know how I missed that photograph. That's the suspect fish I was talking about. I hope all's well and you're fishing more than ever now.... It's Yellow Fin Tuna season here and we're having some great action here... will send you some pics when I get a break again.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,

What are the sizes or Yellowfin and Wahoo you can expect to chatc where you guys fish in the Andermans?

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,

BIG :lol:

PM me your email id..... think I have it already. Will send you a mail of some YFT and Wahoo.

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject: andermans
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:44 am 

A new member here ( so apologies if I mess up on the protocols! ). I have joined the site to read through as much info as possible on destinations and plan a trip with some mates. We have a strong desire to flyfish in the andermans and would love to hear from you if you have experienced the area, know of any good operators and what costs may be experienced.
Appreciate any help / advice offered.

retro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:58 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Retro,

Welcome to the forum!

I have posted somewhere on the forum with regards to flyfishing in the Andaman Islands in the past. Firstly the Andaman Islands are volcanic in nature.... meaning you don't really have flats where you can wade out and sight fish. There are a few areas it can be done but they're small.
Fishing off reefs from a boat would be better but at best we've had fish fit for an aquarium :lol: multiple species but not large in size.
Using teasers/chumming to bring fish up to a boat are things that have never been done so there is room for experimenting if one is interested, but I'd be a bit skeptical.
Hope this has been of help.....

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject: Re: andermans
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:54 pm 

retro wrote:
A new member here ( so apologies if I mess up on the protocols! ). I have joined the site to read through as much info as possible on destinations and plan a trip with some mates. We have a strong desire to flyfish in the andermans and would love to hear from you if you have experienced the area, know of any good operators and what costs may be experienced.
Appreciate any help / advice offered.

retro

On my last trip to Andamans I discovered a spot on Havelock where you could fish sand flats, they are quite extensive but the fish are few and far between except for one area.

The best area is next to the reef and is a channel where the fish move onto the flats as the tide rises. You don't have long to fish though as the tide comes in quick.

I fished with soft plastics with spinning gear and landed small GT, bluefin trevally and queenfish. I did see what I thought were bonefish but not 100% sure. I lost lots of tackle due to biteoffs from long tom.