->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:55 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Sea Sickness.......
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:22 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Some of us fish in the sea and some of us fish rivers and lakes. Some of us have been on boats and some of us haven't. Being anglers we're all going to get onto that boat, head out and have a great day of fishing. There's a certain number of us who are going to feel sea sick. It's an awful feeling when that happens, ruining a whole day of fishing that may have been planned weeks or months in advance.

What to do to try and avoid sea sickness......

1)Get plenty of rest before you go out on the water. Weariness and exhaustion can make you more susceptible to other things that can bring on motion sickness.
2)Prepare your terminal tackle on land. Concentrating on tying elaborate knots with braid aren’t helpful and bring on sea sickness.
3)Do not eat greasy or acidic foods for several hours before your fishing trip. This includes having coffee also. You don't want to have a lot of acid or heavy, slow to digest foods rolling around in your stomach while you are rolling around on the sea. Heavy, greasy foods like bacon and eggs, sausage, waffles or pancakes with syrup, alone or combined with acidic juices like orange juice, can wreak havoc on your system and end up recycled as lunch for fishes
4)Avoid carbonated drinks, if the gas doesn’t get you the pesticide will. Carbonated drinks includes beer :twisted:
5)Do not skip eating before a fishing trip. An empty stomach can be almost as bad as one with the wrong types of food in it. Give your stomach acids something to work on other than your well-being.
6) Do not drink alcoholic beverages for several hours. Alcohol tends to dehydrate the body. Its other symptoms are not desirable either. You may feel tired and not alert from just a few drinks, two qualities not conducive to safe boating. If you do plan on drinking, make every third drink a glass of water. It will reduce dehydration and your chances for a hangover. :roll:
7)Avoid gasoline or diesel fumes. They can put you over the edge literally and figuratively. Stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible. Avoid becoming overheated and dehydrated.
8)If possible, avoid the cabin and other enclosed spaces. Sometimes, a breezy spot in the sun may be preferable to a shady spot in a stuffy cabin.
9) There will be less motion towards the center of the boat, both horizontally and vertically, and it will increase with the height of the waves. The more sensitive to motion sickness you are, the closer you need to be towards the center, which is the calmest part of the boat.
10) If you are beginning to feel a bit queasy, stand up and look out over the horizon. Despite what you might think, sitting or laying down is the worst thing you can do at this point.
11)When the boat is rolling with the waves rather than moving under its own power and you are standing on deck, possibly getting hot, your resistance to motion sickness diminishes rapidly. Reduce that exposure time to an absolute minimum.
12)Have some water and fruit before. It can help by rehydrating you.
13)If someone in your party is overcome by sea sickness, get away from them at once! Unfortunately, many of us can do fine until someone else loses it. Then we have a sympathetic reaction and succumb as well. It could be the sound, the smell, the sight, or a combination of them that triggers the same response in us.

Hope that helps the newbies [smilie=happyspin.gif]

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:25 pm 
Fishaholic

If there's a Doc out there maybe you could prescribe something to help prevent/cure sea sickness that doesn't have terrible side effects like rashes, uneven heartbeat, fuzzy vision, fits and seizures :wink:

Mighty Marlin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

Avomin should do the job. It worked great for me in Madras.

Bops

Post subject: sleeping w the fishes
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:43 am 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin,

So have you ever donated lunch to the fishes?

I hear avomine puts one to sleep?

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:59 am 
Fishaholic

Nice stuff MM

I normally take an Avomine about 2 hours before getting on a boat irrespective of conditions, I do not want to screw up the trip.

I know there are also some patches available.

Bit of a contradiction here:
"7)Avoid gasoline or diesel fumes. They can put you over the edge literally and figuratively. Stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible. Avoid becoming overheated and dehydrated.
8)If possible, avoid the cabin and other enclosed spaces. Sometimes, a breezy spot in the sun may be preferable to a shady spot in a stuffy cabin."

just taking a piss

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Wolf,
No I haven't fed the fish yet 8) apparently it happens to all so am dreading the day my number comes up.
I've spent upto 20 hrs on a small boat, it did get pretty uncomfortable, no shelter, wind picked up and the icing on the cake was it began to pour at 2am. The worst night I've spent recently..... drenched to the bone, half asleep, wet cigarettes, rocking boat and needed to take a piss. Atleast the fish were biting.

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Nice stuff MM

Bit of a contradiction here:
"7)Avoid gasoline or diesel fumes. They can put you over the edge literally and figuratively. Stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible. Avoid becoming overheated and dehydrated.
8)If possible, avoid the cabin and other enclosed spaces. Sometimes, a breezy spot in the sun may be preferable to a shady spot in a stuffy cabin."

just taking a piss

Ha ha Bobby,
I didn't notice that!! It'll keep them confused.....damned if you do, damned if you don't kinda scene.
I was hoping someone would post a simple remedy, avomine makes one groggy.... hmm I'll look for something.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,
After foraging on the net for some info I found this....

Ginger is a natural preventative. It soothes a queasy stomach and has no side effects. You can get it in pill form, tablets or powder. Some doctors recommend that you can take it 12-24 hours before, as preventing sea sickness is easier than curing it. Somewhere from 1 gram up to 4 grams per day of powdered ginger is recommended. Some studies seem to indicate that ginger is more effective in the reduction of vomiting and sweating than nausea and vertigo, although they reduce those symptoms as well. You can try gingersnap cookies and ginger ale, although their lower ginger content may not be as effective. They do work for many sailors though.

Eating peppermint in conjunction with ginger is reported by as being even more effective. Since mint does have some of the same calming qualities as ginger, this may be true. Perhaps it is just the belief that it works that is effective. Regardless, it is an inexpensive and pleasant addition. An added benefit is making your breath sweeter.

Here's an interesting treatment that was found. It is a treatment that works on some after they are feeling queasy, rather than as a preventative. Immerse your feet in ice water. Anecdotal reports indicate it helps some people.

I've heard of people sucking on limes as a prevention of sea sickness. I guess that would work on a boat as it does work on land :-)

All for now.....

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Wonder where Doc is? Must be busy catching his first murral.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:54 pm 

IndianAngler wrote:
Wonder where Doc is? Must be busy catching his first murral.

Bops

I think you mean Dr Asif..he did venture out and what he caught he can best regale beginners luck :wink:

navdeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:34 am 
Fishaholic

So the foolproof way to avoid donating lunch to the fish is to eat a ginger, peppermint, lime salad with a sprinkling of powdered avomine and a basin of cold water to put your feet in. The remedy sounds worse than the upchuck.

I was in australia recently in a boat on a very, very choppy sea. I ate a couple of ginger tablets (i think theyre locally available) and was fine though a bunch of Japanese tourists upchucked all over the place and donated the sushi they had back to the sea .

p.s. I think it was yellowfin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:47 am 
Fishaholic

The best advice is "Hug a tree" to prevent sea sickness.
If that fails, theres quite a bit of advice here http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/inde ... =10981&hl=

Post subject: Avomin
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:48 am 
Fishaholic

On that avomin bit, take a tablet the previous night.You will be less groggy while at sea the next day. This should work for most people. If you are very prone to sea sickness follow up the overnight dose with a half or quarter tablet 3 hours before going to sea.

Outrigorsandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:42 am 
Fishaholic

Sea sickness or motion sickness is basically a inbalance of fluid in the semicircular canals in the Ear,Avomine is a temporary measure but if you venture out a few times you start gettin immune to seasickness.Its a bit embarasssing and doesnt help but look at the bright side maybe puking overboard may attract more fish?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:31 am 
Fishaholic

heliox1965 wrote:
maybe puking overboard may attract more fish?

Niel, you remember my younger bro, the ruffian?

He has grown up now, and is a real good angler. Probably caught more fish than me. We were fishing off the Gateway of India at the ShipWreck. And were hauling out fish like crazy, using mackrel for bait. It was a bit choppy and my bro was puking but hats off to the guy he did not want to turn back and kept fishing (and puking). I dont know how he did it..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:40 am 
Site Admin

According to an old mariner the best bet to prevent sea sickness is to drink as much coke (coca cola) as possible before going out to sea. Any of you try this as yet?

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:44 am 
Fishaholic

The results are the same. you still hurl with all your might. except then it's called pesticide poisoning and not sea sickness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:18 pm 
Fishaholic

The following medications may help prevent symptoms of motion sickness:
Scopolamine patch (Transderm Scop) or pills (Scopace)
Promethazine hydrochloride (Anergan, Phenergan)
Antihistamines, including dimenhydrinate (such as Dramamine), diphenhydramine (such as Benadryl), cyclizine (Marezine), buclizine (Bucladin-S Softabs), and meclizine (such as Antivert)
People often try alternative methods of preventing motion sickness such as taking ginger or wearing acupressure bands.There is little scientific evidence that these methods work, but there is no harm in trying them.

Physical therapy may help people who have significant problems with motion sickness. Your physical therapist will guide you through repeated motions in a controlled situation to help your balance-sensing system adapt to motion. No large studies have been done to test this treatment.

Another thing is that, these all drugs are antihistaminic mostly, and their most common sideeffects are dizziness and dry mouth...
thats all
regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:33 pm 

HI gang, kinda sniffed the action, so am here;)
Naaw, no such luck with marral-end of year issues, am busy fighting for funds and enhancements and capexes...
Marral come next week-as Neil says, when the going gets tough, eljefe runs away to bangalore for a spot of solitude and fishing!

Most antihistamimes also cause sedation-so watch out.This includes the 'airline pilot safe' antihistamines- people react differently to medications-whats right for you may not be ok for the next person on the boat.
As drugs go, I wuld go for the patches -personal experience- had a bad case of SS once off goa, on my first open water scuba outing-I was a damned sight better IN the water and was very regretful when i ran out of air.YoYo ed quite a bit and my dive master didnt let me go back for a second dive that day :(
Re motion sickness Patches-just the OTC stuff, most things that advertise motion sickness are fine.So ok
One method I've used very successfully is put a pea sized bead on an elastic and wear it as a wrist band.
Just so tight that the pressure is obvious-but not painful.
This is an old acupressure technique, used to be quite common in UK as a preventive method for post operative nausea vomiting.
The spot you should target is one thumb width (your own thumb!) below the wrist crease-any side, left or right.Where your palm ends? look for a horizontal skin crease below the palm,on the wrist.usually there are 2 lines, about a cm apart.The pea/bead should be in midline,at or near the 2nd crease from the palm ending.Pressure should be strong enough to create a small indent in skin, yet NOT PAINFUL.
caveat is this wont work if you have already developed nausea! so wear it an hour before getting on the boat/plane.
Ginger is fine and is a time tested remedy.
There are a couple of subscription medications available.If you need it seriously, go to your doc and get it after you've explained to him.Start at the lowest dosage.Use sparingly and let your body adapt-which it does in just a couple of trips.If yours is an intractable case-rare-then try the patches.
'Doxinate' is Vit B6, usually given to pregnant women having nausea, but works well here too.Its water soluble, wont stay in the body, and a couple of tabs the night before and before the trip should help out.

Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Asif

Can you tell me where these patches are available and what they are known as at the chemists?

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:59 pm 

Bops,
Sorry, I should have mentioned that the patches are usually imported -With Cash Pharmacy now history,check with a biggish pharmacy like Apollo or 98.4 I'm sure you have them in Blr.
Plain jane sea sickness or air sickness patches.
Till then suggest a light dinner, no alcohol on board and 4 mg tab EMESET...

Anyone know if they have come into India yet? I usually depend on Heathrow 'Boots' or John Bell & Croydon in London town
Dont know what the chinese are churning out now :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:44 pm 

here's a US modified version of the chinese acupressure pea-on-a-rubber band antiemetic device.

http://www.aeromedix.com/aeromedix_arti ... index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:47 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

not sure if anyone has mentioned this, as I have not yet been able to read through the lengthy posts that have been put up.

I usually suffer from motion sickness, no matter if bus, boat or ship.

I found 2 great solutions......

1) avomine (already mentioned), which I take @ 1 hour before departure, as it takes min 1/2 hour to take effect. This lasts for @ 8 hours.

2) sourlime - when ever I forget about the avomine & need to travel by bus or boat I just put a piece of sourlime in my mouth. Theres no need to really squeeze off all the juice, but just suck on it slowly. This will stop you from from feeling sick for @ 2 hours.
It works for me & seems like the easiest accessable option.

Regards,
Keyur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Akshay, I have sent you an email, about the benefits of ginger/vodka. You can pick this up from any homeo shop, or ask you medical store(not the vodka) . Regards bobbee. :P :P :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobbee,

I tried ginger sweets while out on a boat and almost got sick. Ginger and I just don't mix. I'm fine in a boat and have been out in a meter + swells for over a couple of days and survived.

Thanks for the mail.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:04 am 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,

try the sour lime next time....maybe it will work for you.

Btw, Bobbee.... [smilie=hello.gif]
you sent me the mail & addressed it to Akshay... [smilie=smack.gif]
& I was trying to figure out who the heck sent me that mail about ginger & vodka....... [smilie=upyeah.gif]
thought it was some spam...lol :lol: [smilie=holyshit.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Keyur, Bobbee,

:lol: :lol: :lol: I was wondering where that mail had gone? Am wondering if it had anything to do with vodka? I'm fine on a boat, but apparently it gets everyone one day. So am dreading the day my number comes up.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

googly mail :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey I sent the mail to both of you. :lol: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Give you an article from the Readers Digest, July 07 edition.

`GINGER. Studies have demonstrated that ginger is effective in preventing the symptoms of motion sickness, especially seasickness. In addition, it can be useful in reducing nausea and vomiting brought on by prgnancy. To get the stomach-calming benefits,, simply steep about 50 gms of fresh ginger root in a cup of hotwater.

Ginger also contains an inflammation-fighting substance called gingerol, which may help reduce pain and improve function in people who have arthritis.` :P :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:38 pm 
Fishaholic

wondering if Bobbee is a brand ambassador for seven-thirsty & Ginger .. :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:06 pm 
Fishaholic

i was sea fishing out of whitby,england...and i was violently sea sick....my friend asked the skipper of the boat if he had any suggestions and his reply was "eat bread and sweet jam before going out in a boat" my friend asked if this would stop seasickness and the skipper replied "hell no, but it tastes not too bad on the way back up"...
my suggestion is to tap the inside of your wrists together... this works for all motion sickness's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 12:14 am 

Hai friends,
Sea sickness is not the problem, use some cotton to close your ears and chew some bubblegums at traveling. Try it and reply.

SHANMUGHA SUNDARAM.SR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Was watching Mythbusters on Discovery channel the other day and apparently the only effective way to deal with sea sickness is pharmaceuticals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:10 am 
Fishaholic

if that means staying on dry land then i agree...lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:14 pm 
Fishaholic

I take a small gulp of salt water if at all i feel sea sick. Normally I dont do coz got used to it now.

spoonangler

Post subject: Saltwater
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:54 am 
Enlightened

Hi,
Gargling with sea water might help. Might not work for everybody but it's worked for me after a late night drinking binge, one and a half hours of sleep and out fishing at 4 a.m. Never get sea sick under normal circumstances though. I've seen fishermen do this with sea water as well. So if you can reach for the water get a couple of mouthfuls, gargle and swirl it around and spit it out ,I reckon you'll be fine.
If you get the boat going it might help as well.... most get sea sick when the boats at anchor or drifting. Going for a quick spin usually helps.
Hopefully no one gets sea sick but if you do try this next time around.
Cheers
Wingz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:01 am 
Fishaholic

Many times we get caught in rough weather and its sad to see some of the Newbies Throwing up.The most common remedy is to eat here is the catch the foods that stay down are rice and rasam or plain toast with pickle.If you dont eat youll get progressively weaker and dehydrate.There are also pranks that are played on the poor seasick patient by suggesting them to wear a big potato on a cord round there neck and believe me many wear it and feel better ha ha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Keyur wrote:
Hi Guys,

not sure if anyone has mentioned this, as I have not yet been able to read through the lengthy posts that have been put up.

I usually suffer from motion sickness, no matter if bus, boat or ship.

I found 2 great solutions......

1) avomine (already mentioned), which I take @ 1 hour before departure, as it takes min 1/2 hour to take effect. This lasts for @ 8 hours.

2) sourlime - when ever I forget about the avomine & need to travel by bus or boat I just put a piece of sourlime in my mouth. Theres no need to really squeeze off all the juice, but just suck on it slowly. This will stop you from from feeling sick for @ 2 hours.
It works for me & seems like the easiest accessable option.

Regards,
Keyur

There's another remedy that includes lime and works wonders. It even gives you sudden urges of a big strike on your ROD. Here's the recipe.

"Tequila Shots - One shot tequila (Hose Cuervo), salt, and a lime wedge. Fill shot glass with tequila, grasp the lime between the thumb and index finger of your "off" hand, lick that little pudgy area between the two fingers holding the lime, sprinkle some salt on the aforementioned pudgy area, lick the salt, slam the shot down, and bite the lime."

That's it you are done. What sickness were we referring to by the way :)

DeZZ