->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Speared !
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:34 am 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... _a_source=

Quote:
Angler speared by a giant fish
Daily Mail Reporter
9:25am 4th August 2006

When he saw a companion on his boat hook a giant fish during a sea angling contest, Ian Card was delighted.

Next second, the scene of triumph turned to horror - as the 14ft blue marlin leapt out of the water across the vessel and speared Mr Card through the chest with its spiked bill.

The impact of the 800lb fish knocked him overboard into the Atlantic off Bermuda.

Then, with a thrash of its tail and with the 32-year-old still impaled and bleeding profusely, it dragged him underwater.

Terribly injured, he somehow stayed conscious as he struggled to pull himself free of the marlin's 3ft razor-sharp spike before he drowned.

Finally, he wrenched himself away and was rescued by his companions on the boat - who included his 58-year-old father Alan.

Yesterday, he told how his son surfaced with blood pumping from his wound. 'He put his hand up to his chest and his fingers disappeared,' he said. 'He had a wound about as big as your fist.' Mr Card was rushed to hospital, where sur- geons carried out an emergency operation and yesterday he was in a stable condition.

But doctors told him that if the marlin's spike had struck a fraction of an inch higher, it would have severed an artery and killed him.

The bizarre accident happened as he and his father took part in an international fishing tournament 15 miles south of Bermuda.

They were aboard the 42ft yacht Challenger, owned and captained by Mr Card senior, a professional skipper, with his son serving as mate. As the marlin was hooked by angler Leslie Spanswick - who was strapped into a fishing chair at the stern of the boat - Mr Card junior was standing up about 8ft away. 'The fish all of a sudden changed direction and jumped,' said his father.

'It was airborne going across the full width of the boat and Ian just happened to be in the way. All in one motion, the fish flew across the cockpit, impaled him with its bill and took him out of the boat.

'He landed in the water about 15ft away and the marlin was on top of him.

'He was underwater and he had his arms wrapped round the fish and the fish was pushing him under. I lost sight of him for a few seconds. That's a sight I'll never forget. I knew there was no good going to come out of it.'

But Mr Card eventually surfaced 50ft behind the boat. 'Once we got Ian up, I cut the fish loose,' said his father. 'My main concern was not the tournament.'

Family friend Dennis Benevides radioed emergency services and stuffed a towel into the wound to staunch the flow of blood as the vessel sped for the shore.

It reached land 40 minutes later and Mr Card was taken to Bermuda's King Edward VII Memorial Hospital. A 14ft fish would normally take up to two hours to reel in, but the fish leaped at Mr Card after just ten minutes - when it was still fresh and strong.

His mother Elizabeth said: 'He was very lucky - it was a very serious injury. I was very surprised that a fish could make such an injury.'

Tournament organiser Dan Jacobs said: 'Fish have jumped into boats before and people have been hurt dealing with marlin, but it's very unusual for a fish to leap completely out of the water from behind the boat and come right across the boat.

'Ian is very lucky to be alive. I'd say that we have probably witnessed a miracle.'

One lucky man and one luckier Marlin! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Best-Vikram

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:15 pm 
Fishaholic

I have read 2 similar incidents:

1) A Japanese fisherman was speared through the eye and killed by a Marlin or Swordfish, I cannot remember which one.

2) An American fishing alone on his boat was speared by a Marlin he had hooked, the fish jumped into the boat and speared the angler through his stomach, such that he was impaled to the boat, the bill having penetrated the woodwork. He survived, the coastguard found the guy a day later still skewered fish and all.

Post subject: speared
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Regarding fishing accidents I recall a time when two friends, lets call them K and R had run ins with pointed objects.

K's head ran into a spinner hook cast by P and a hook ran into R's finger and lip at the same time while he was trying to tie a knot by yanking on the hook with his teeth.

Made for good conversation later on and a murral was heard laughing hysterically as well.

Last edited by Wolf on Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: other accidents
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:26 pm 
Fishaholic

A lead weight flew into this guys eyesocket. He survived but wont be looking too hard at the water anymore.

Then he went fishing again and look what happened.

Also, last I heard an angler got "speared" in the palm by a cat fish at Galibore. We are awaiting developements and his family has been notified. He was unable to eat, tend to his toilet, gesticulate, pick his nose, scratch his ear, flip pancakes, point accusingly at other anglers across a table, or fish with that hand (though his other hand was operational).
The catfish is recovering.

Post subject: Re: other accidents
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:50 pm 

Wolf wrote:
[img]Also, last I heard an angler got "speared" in the palm by a cat fish at Galibore. We are awaiting developements and his family has been notified. He was unable to eat, tend to his toilet, gesticulate, pick his nose, scratch his ear, flip pancakes, point accusingly at other anglers across a table, or fish with that hand (though his other hand was operational).
The catfish is recovering.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:24 am 
Fishaholic

Wolf,

Honestly that was one of the most entertaining (from a humorous angle) reads I have had so far on this forum. For a laugh there is nothing to beat your last post.

You really cracked me up mate, I am still in splits!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Wolf,
Kapoor saab has it in for you. Your timely arrival at covent road while we were unloading my gear, caused badda saab to take his eyes off his prized water can, and says it was swiped off the road.
He says "if that bugger Ryan haden't distracted us, i would still have my can".
Watch out dude, Mrs may also be gunning for you. - No drinking water at home.
Regards
Owen

Post subject: can can
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello Owen

Today the can tomorrow the rod.

I didnt see any shady characters around except for all of us :wink: but i do apologize if I was the distraction that let some wandering bihari mendicant whack the water can.

Best,

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:46 pm 
Fishaholic

Don't apologize mate! just do the rod. What a beauty.... A Rapala 10.6ft built for a multiplier and 30lb line, and the dude was using it to catch 2 pound masheer.

Post subject: can can
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Its not the size of the rod that matters, its what you do with it ...

:D