->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:31 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Doddamakli Feb.17th-19th
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:55 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,

Went camping on the right bank ie. opposite the JLR camp. Jude,my brother-in-law, landed a 3 kg murrel on a Mepps (released). Beginers luck!! Two eels and a small cat fish on worm while bottom fishing. And two under 1kg Mahseer of the 'blue fin' variety one on a spinner and the other on worm.

I hear that anglers are harvesting Doddamakli of the Murrel. I will verify this with the JLR Camp Manager when I am there on March 3rd.

How many of you are in favour of setting a 'bag limit'?? Can it be enforced??

Are Murrel a threat to Mahseer?? Any research or scientific evidence to prove or dis-prove this?? Owen you had issues about stocking Murrel in the Cauvery on another thread. Any reasons for your concern?

Looking forward to some lively debates on this post.

Cheers!

Outrigorsandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Sandeep,
Just came across this old post that i had missed.
Yes there should be a limit to the number of fish that any self respecting angler should take for the pot. Of course trying to monitor this on a river is out of the question.
On the other hand how many fish a day does one need for the pot ? I guess that would depend a lot on the number of people in camp (if you are camping independently). Taking fish home is where there needs to be some rules laid down.

On the subject of murral the amount of baby mahseer they will get to eat in a river is debateable.
However in a lake with significant numbers of murral, the odds could be stacked in favour of the murral.

They both prefer very different habitat, and that usually keeps them apart when they are bigger. However the mahseer fingerlings live in slower waters till they can fend for themselves, and that's where the depletion of mahseer fingerlings by the larger murral begin, and that's where i have an issue in stocking rivers and lakes designated for mahseer protection with murral.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Thanks for your post.

I totally agree with you that fish for the "pot" and "home" should be regulated although it is difficult to monitor and enforce this. The WASI permit does mention a 'bag' limit within a specified weight range and all self respecting anglers should honour this . I am trying to intoduce something similar through JLR.

As regards the Murrel and Mahseer I would imagine they have co-habited in the Cauvery for a long long time and will continue to do so as long as we do not harvest one species 'indiscrimately'.

Regards,

Sandeep