->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:32 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: off to bhakra
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey All,
I am off to bhakra for a three day trip. I keep going there and elsewhere (try and make a minimum 10 trips a year and will fish anything anywhere. I have fished and caught fish in the Defence Colony nala but that was in the early 80s as a kid).

The next trip will have a three day warning from me. If anybody is interested they can come along, as long as it is strictly catch and release.

Will keep you posted on the results of this trip. maybe to early but I have a good feeling (i always have a good feeling). :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Where the fluff is bhakra ???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Mken,

Say hello to Bhagwan Das and his dad at the dhaba if they're around.

GRC,
Bhakhra is the mother of all Indian dams, the first in the country. It's at the tail of the River Sutlej, one of the great 'Five Waters' of the Punjab.
The baitfish there is 6" and nobody's landed the bigger mahseer (30-35lbs plus) there despite evidence (mangled titanium-vanadium hooks, and more telling- 300 feet long gillnets disappearing because big fish get entangled and drag it away.) Also home to boar sized rohu which you can see cruising sometimes, but they're not taken in nets either.

Mahseer population going down here because of grass carp and silver carp.

Locals and several anglers from Delhi have landed 50lbers from the Sutlej canal near Ropar.

Cheers, Mken, have a good time. DOn't tell me you do the Singhara Scene at Pong too??!!

Cheers

V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Big rohus [smilie=grayball-intent.gif]

How do i get there ???? What do I need to do to fish there ?? Answers people...... :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear M Ken

Do post the results of your Bhakra trip at the earliest. Pong Dam too is pretty close. Pay a visit to the dam if you can manage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:55 am 

Good luck Mken, have fun and post lots of pics.
I fished at the najafgarh canal-bloody nala -today-will try and join you sometime...
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Gav, Havent you heard of the Bhakra Nangal Dam, in the Punjab. One of the highest dams, in India, between Chandigarh and Jullundar. The River Sutjej is one of the tributaries of the great Indus. The largest hydroelectric dams of India, during Nehrus rule and the effect it had on the green revolution of the Punjab, was enormous

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:16 am 
Fishaholic

Bobbee ... Gav needed to go to school to know that :evil: :evil: :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Fred, all the dam(me)s that gav knows about is the ones he has to `cross`. :oops: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Ok, enough of slagging the poor guy off, can some tell the bloke how to get there :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:17 pm 
Fishaholic

All ready have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Gav, knowing what a hom `in` pigeon, u are, here goes one last time, lat. 31 5 N long. 76 50 E. Go get it man.

Post subject: I'm back!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:08 am 
Fishaholic

Hey All!
Got in late last night form the dam dam. It was another trip that got me really pissed off.
I have been doing this little circuit for the last 10 years and each year I see it going further down the drain literally. I remember we always had a good catch here with one or two fish above 40 pounds. But each year the number of fish and their weight seems to go down.
This year was the same. Here is the tally.

Sat 3rd jan. Reached at 3pm. First line in at 3:01pm. Fished till 7 at the 'boom'. 1 6lbs Red Fin. Three bites (none big). All the hits on a Lil Cleo.

Sun 4th jan. Lines in 5.45am. 1 6Lbs red fin at 6.30. No bite till lunch. 9lbs at 1:00pm. Trolled for two hours - no bites. back at the 'boom' at 4:00pm. Two good fish - ten pounders. Taken on a Barra Deep Diver and a Shad Rap, both Silver. One more fish at 7. Very small and probably suicidal.

Mon 5th jan. up at 5.45. No fish till 10. Trolled the entire south bank and finally got two 6 pounders. No fish till one. And then another healthy 10 pounder. Had one last bit at around three while trolling back to camp. The fish hit, took over 100mtrs of line and then snapped 40lbs Powerline.
Yes there are still a few monster mahseer in there.

Lures : Shad Raps, Husky Jerks, Barra Deep Diver, Count Downs, Medium Tobies and Lil Cleos.
Colours : Silver/Shads in the day. Yellow/gold/fire tigers when the light goes down.

Route For those who need to know. Delhi-ambala-amritsar road till sirhind-fatehgarh sahib-kiratpur sahib-anatpur sahib-nangal-bhakra.

Remember : Catch, Kiss & Release

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:28 pm 

Mken,
Wot news of Pong and backwaters ?
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:34 pm 
Fishaholic

pong is another sad story. Only singara re being caught. All the mahseer are near the dam and they will not let you cast there.

"Backwater" I do not know of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Vedan/Ken

What is the scientfic name of Singhara? Or if any body know what are they called in Kannada? For those who don't know they make gr888 fish pakoras.

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:17 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Inder,

Our friend the Singhara is known as Aorichthys seenghala.
The singhara cousin down south is the A. punctatus. Check out Bopanna's pics.

Dang right about the fish pakoras- they taste especially good from Pong because you're helping mahseer by removing them. Mulley not bad either, especially from a river. Apparently like the silver carp (Hypopthalmichthys molitrix) is the cause of decline in mahseer populations in Bhakhra (habitat takeover, juvenile predation), singhara are the cause at Pong.

Cheers

V.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:50 pm 

Inder,
I saw a 'goods' auto full of them and they were 'croaking'-figuratively and literally...
Called Dev and Abhijeet to show them.Enjoy your pakodas mate, me? am looking for my holy grail-clean waters-then , any damned fish will do!
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Vedan wrote:
Hi Inder,

Dang right about the fish pakoras- they taste especially good from Pong because you're helping mahseer by removing them. Mulley not bad either, especially from a river. Apparently like the silver carp (Hypopthalmichthys molitrix) is the cause of decline in mahseer populations in Bhakhra (habitat takeover, juvenile predation), singhara are the cause at Pong.

Cheers

V.

Thanks for the names Vedan.. Lets see if somebody knows what they called in Kannda..

The Mulley you are talking about i think is Malhee as called in Punjabi.. Yep..its even better than Singhara when it comes to Pakoras.. Man you had my mouth watering.. :D

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:54 am 
Fishaholic

Vedan wrote:
Hi Inder,

V.

Can you point to thos pix Vedan
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:10 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

The catfish pics are here:
http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=531

Cheers

V.