->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:57 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Identify this Mahseer,
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi folks

Could somebody ID these fish for me. Couldn't get a better pic than this,

Cheers
Bops

Post subject: Identify this mahseer?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:40 pm 
Enlightened

I give up Bops. Give me the location - may help.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

Don, I took this picture a couple of weeks ago on an exploratory trip I made into the hills in search of wild mahseer. The location would be on the way to Mangalore from malvalli. About 40K out of Mercara.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:13 am 
Fishaholic

Congrats bops, great stuff! These look very much like pictures I have seen of baby nothern Mahseer. Hey I am no expert on Mahseer but just my two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:31 am 
Fishaholic

Mate, if you hadn't mentioned South and Mercara, I'd have said they look exactly like our Northerns- long, lean, dark lateral stripe and those red tinted caudals. You sure it's not from our hills up here?

Can't be wild fish if they're bunched up in clear water. Not a sanctuary (temple/etc) is it?

Cheers

Vedan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:36 am 
Site Admin

They seem to be protected at least in some places though I've been told that fish much bigger than these have been caught downstream from where these pictures were taken.

They look a lot like the northerns and are known as "Bommeenu" amongst the locals.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Bops,

Include me in any of your conservation and research oriented field trips. I have the time to devote to such activities and would love to learn more.

BTW what do you estimate the size of the fish in your photos??

Sandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bops,

Next time suggest taking a cast net so you can catch and photograph fish for ID purposes.

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:47 pm 
Site Admin

The biggest I saw in that group was about 3 kilos. I also caught some catfish on that trip. Pics below.

The catfish were for the pot, good eating :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:00 pm 
Fishaholic

That is a beautiful Cat Bops, what type is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

I think it's a shovelhead but i'm no expert :wink:

It protest loudly when hauled out so I call it croaker catfish.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:09 pm 

Bops / V,
Saw similar fish in a lake attached to a temple,near NH24 didnt know what they were! force fed by devotees and obviously NO FISHING.

Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Bops

That catfish is a Mystus punctatus, a cousing of our Northern Mystus seenghala, Shovelheads by another name.
The 'Mystus' has been renamed 'Aorichthys', I think.
Yeah, man, they almost beg you for mercy after consuming all the mahseer fry....

How big do they grow?

Cheers,

V.

Post subject: Identify this mahseer?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:52 pm 
Enlightened

If they are mahseer they could be what Bobby and Vedam say they look like. Who knows this could have been a secret hidden away for centuries till now. What would be the altitude and winter and summer temperatures and which river?

If they are mahseer similar to tor putitora of the north you have found gold. Requires more investigation Bops to establish the fish's identity.

Besides the deep body tor musullah of the Cauvery or Southern Mahseer a second species inhabits the river which I always believed was akin to the tor putitora of the north. Its slim and longer than a tor musullah of similar weight and except for the usual yellow and orange colour of the pectrol and anal fins it is a shimmering silver from head to base of caudal fin. They readily take a plug or spoon and one of their favourite haunts was Mosillihalla. Radcliff of Ooty, a regular visitor to the river in the past, landed quite a few of these at this spot. A 77 pounder was taken by a lady guest of WASI, on ragi, from a rock I had positioned her on.

Do you have the right normenclature for this fish?

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:29 pm 
Site Admin

These fish are long and very streamlined unlike the mahseer found at Galiborai. Look more like a torpedo!

The altitude is probably around 3200 feet approx at this location. Here's a picture of the stream.

Post subject: Identify this mahseer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:34 pm 
Enlightened

Beautiful country Bops. Did you take a fish out of the water and examine it or if you hadn,t is there a possibility of obtaining a specimen in the near future. I can not judge the size of the fish from the photos. Young mahseer (fingerlings) are also long in camparison to their girth and torpedo shapped.

As I said before your find requires more investigating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 11:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Guys,

I've caught the same catfish on the Cauvery at Haira and at Forbes. They'll take worm at night.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:38 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Bops .. I was at one of the fish aquarium shops and have seen the identical fish being sold there .. The aquarium guys call then Apollo Sharks -- they grow to a foot and a half long -- i saw one around 10 inches --- tried taking a pic with the Jasjar but the pics came out all dark --- guess the Jasjar was not built for photgaphy -- will take the DC and try to get some pics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Wich aquarium guy Fred?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Not Sheikh at SV road Bobster .. This is a new guy whose set up a large aquarium in Bandra called Nautilus .. has large marine tanks too .. he had some of the fish that looked like what Bops posted ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Bops from the colour of the water it is hard to be sure, but they certainly look like Tor Putitora. Wish you could have taken a picture of the mouth close up and open, that would have been perfect.
However if it is a putitora that's gold.
I don't see any reason why they should not be in a stream / river at high altitude in the south. After all Tata Power is breeding putitora, and a list of customers that have taken them is available in the article on breeding that they put out on the net.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

Owen, I wasn't allowed to touch the fish let alone take it out of the water.

I think the only reason the fish are still alive and doing well in that stream is because the locals do not allow any one to catch or kill the fish.

They have thick lips like other mahseer.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:14 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Bops
I’ve seen similar kinds of fish in very large numbers in my Visit to Kudramukh National Park, In the Nearby stream which flows in between the Town park, and again they are Protected by a Big Board which says "No Fishing" ,saw some really good specimen, also Noticed that these fishes are been fed & taken care by the local people.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:13 am 
Fishaholic

Suspect those fish are Katli, or Copper Mahseer. Visited some of the rivers in that approx area and saw plenty of similar fish. Even caught some up to 2lbs; pics at a later date.
Bit confused about the local name, I was led to believe by Brig Cariappa that Bomeen was a Coorgi/Keralan name for T. khudree. The Katli we saw were called Maarameen by the locals, which translates as tree fish for those amongst you who speak no Kannada. (Obviously, I'm fluent now ;-) )
Can be difficult to rely on locals for ID, as they will not draw fine distinctions between species.

Still doing the research, but hope they are Neolissichirus wynaadensis and not T. putitora. Given the way the Fisheries Dept hand out all kinds of alien species to anyone who wants them, it would not be a surprise to see any species of fish in any water body anywhere in India!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:46 am 
Fishaholic

This is what baby Katli from Thailand look like
http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/warm ... olepis.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:36 am 
Fishaholic

I'll be back home by next Wednesday, I'll post the pics then.
The wynaadensis species of Neolissichirus is as little different from the hexagonolepis, it definitely has a black stripe running the length of the lateral line.

By the time I get home and meet up with Mark to go through pics, we should be able to give some very clear pointers for recognition of a variety of species.