->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:29 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:35 am 
Fishaholic

Hi guys,

I'm intrigued that no one has posted anything in this section, so here's me having a go!

For the last few years, my friends and i have been going to Cauvery for the big mahseer. We're a bit worn in the tooth now, and have been thinking of other rivers in India. Came across websites waxing lyrical on the northern rivers especially on the golden mahseer.

Currently, we are interested in trying for the mahseer and goonch in the Ramganga area. Any tips from you guys? Some issues:

-best time of year
-which operator?
-tackle
-weather issues (we're equator guys!)

Thanks in advance!

><<:>

Post subject: Masheer Fishing
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys!
Kaveri boy i am, don't know too much about the rivers in the north, but do know that large spoons 4 to 6 inches with fish scale pattern on the back work well in the north, as do Rapala deep diving plugs again 4 to 6 ".
Green colour bodies with yellow & red around the gills work well.

Funny the Masheer in the Kaveri dont take a second look at plugs.
Chilwa (Gudgeon) type are always the best bait on the Kaveri and i think they should work pretty good in the north indian rivers as well.
Take a 20ft net with small holes along. The spacing should be just right for chilwa or you will have anything but chilwa for bait.

Have heard of Atta paste mixed with Haldi powder being used in slightly sluggish waters with good results (if you are so inclined).

Then natural baits like crabs work when nothing else does. I always believe in trying something different when things get slow.

Keep in touch
Owen

"Born to fish Forced to Work" Hehe!
My boss threatens to turn me loose whenever he sees this statement.

Post subject: Masheer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Forgot to mention tackle.
Well a little lighter tackle than we use on the Kaveri is what is usually used i guess.
More of the spinning type and less of the bait caster.
Line should be monofilament of around 25lb BS transparent, light blue, light green /dark green (that yellow stuff sends the shivers through my spine).
Soon after the monsoons which should be October to December and after the snow melts March to May should be a good time, though i could be wrong and my learned friends from the north could throw a little more light on the angling season in the various rivers in the north.
Tight Lines
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Dear Aznir, for any info on mahseer fishing up north please contact my old friend Misty. He's a very experienced river guide and all round great guy! mahseer.info@mailcity.com.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 1:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks guys, for the tips!
Bopanna, I've already emailed Monsieur Misty, waiting for reply.

><<:>

Post subject: Cauvery and the north
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:11 pm 

hi guys,
Have been fishing the cauvery for many years , and sadly found that like every other indian river its downfall has begun a few years ago. Jungle lodges does not care about the fishing. They are only into making money and putting as much pressure on the fish .There is no catch and release on any other fish apart from Mahseer. They have eaten all the murrel, and made the river into a commercial hotel. If you check data there are less and less fish caught every year and the really big fish have more or less dissapeared.
If one goes North there are still patches where fish are there, but these are hard to reach places and need logistic support.
Most of the Northern rivers hardly yeild fish, and one has to be there at the correct time or one catches nothing.
The Cauvery had some superb fishing and some great action till five years ago. Very Very Sad state of affairs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Hotshot,

I agree with you on that one. Its a real shame that its happening (degenerating) so fast...

Weather wise last year was tricky in terms of fishing. I seem to think there is a shift in the season...... with more action happening earlier in the season. Its still too early to draw any conclusions yet. In a couple of years maybe.... by then hopefully it won't be too late.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:00 pm 
Fishaholic

I agree that this season was bad by Cauvery standards, but i did have a fantastic 2 days of fishing in early Dec 2004. It was quite unbelievable catching a total of 14 Masheer on one night alone at Haira. The biggest being 45lbs and the smallest 22 lbs. It was pretty cold and misty with high but clear water, and the fish just kept coming. The last one i pulled in at 3 am before my back gave in. I went down to the Hiara rapids just before i left the same morning and was broken by a very big fish.
I also agree that JLR is screwing the place up, and making a circus out of it. I have seen guests sitting on the beach at Galibori banging tins and creating a real din trying to entertain themselves in the evenings. If they don't stop this type of activity and other exually crazy ways of making a buck, the fish are bound to move away to quieter waters.
The catch and release must also be extended to other species like the Murral / Silund / Mulley that are becoming more and more rare each year.
I have posted a picture of a Silund caught in the Cauvery years back, that should raise some interest.
Hoping for better times and help in belling the cat (JLR).
Regards
Owen
Mighty Marlin wrote:
Hi Hotshot,

I agree with you on that one. Its a real shame that its happening (degenerating) so fast...

Weather wise last year was tricky in terms of fishing. I seem to think there is a shift in the season...... with more action happening earlier in the season. Its still too early to draw any conclusions yet. In a couple of years maybe.... by then hopefully it won't be too late.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:25 am 
Fishaholic

Dear Jungle Bum,

If you want to rough it out stay at Ramnagar [35 kms before Marchula, on Kashipur-Ramnagar-Ranikhet road, but branch off at Mohan] at the KMVN Rest House [www.kmvn.org] drive to Marchula everyday for fishing on the Banghat - Marchula beats. The ticket is now Rs.500-00 per beat per day and the management is with village commitee. The ticket seller(s) sit in Punjab National Bank, Marchula. There is a forest rest house in Mohan [near Marchula] and in Marchula too. I feel its high time that villagers in the area built cottages to rent out to anglers with basic facilities, but they are not there at the moment.

For the resorts[expensive ones] very near to Ramnagar on Kosi there are some pools well preserved by the resorts which offer decent Mahseer. Otherwise Kosi is blank. Do a "Google" search for <Corbett National Park Mahseer Fishing>.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:17 pm 

IndianAngler wrote:
Dear Aznir, for any info on mahseer fishing up north please contact my old friend Misty. He's a very experienced river guide and all round great guy! mahseer.info@mailcity.com.

Bopanna, did I just miss a crafty plug for Himalayan Outback?

Aznir, there are several operators 'up north' besides Misty which I can recommend from first hand experience. I'm sure Misty's very competent and everything, but he's not the only one, and he certainly aint the cheapest.

If you pm me I'll happily refer you so at least you get several quotes & make your own mind up (the free market & all that ...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Andy,

Let me quote your own words from another forum....

please go do something more than constructive than winding people up who you know nothing about (i used to do it when i was 18, but i grew out of that a long time ago) .. -andy_youngs

You know where this came from....and you know what this ended up like.

I suggest you read the forum rules before posting. This forum is meant for people to share information and not for purposeless inflammatory posts.

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:51 pm 

IndianAngler wrote:
I suggest you read the forum rules before posting

Two further points :

1) I fail to see how pointing this out could possibly be construed as purposefully inflammatory, after all, it was you that wrote the rules in the first place

2) I fail to see how an entirely unrelated posting several months ago on a different forum has any relevance to this discussion. I haven't, nor would I, criticise Misty or any of his colleagues. I'm merely pointing out they're not the only operators up there and different people look for different things in a fishing holiday.

My only concern is to get Junglebum up to Northern India so he can catch a big mahseer with an outfit that he feels comfortable with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:22 pm 
Site Admin

Andy, you're welcome here as long as you don't try to make any trouble. If you want to get a message across to somebody in the forum use a PM. There's no reason for you to say anything more than that.

How do I know that you're not here to PM other members on the forum about angling guide services that you want to advertise?

Let's get on to more important matters like fishing shall we?

Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:22 am 
Fishaholic

[smilie=chongin.gif] [smilie=meow2.gif]

Let's talk fishing!!

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]