->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:19 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: got my first mahseer !
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:37 pm 
Fishaholic

after a lot of cajoling and pleading this diwali it was decided that we would hit bhakra and try our hand at mahseer angling. i packed up what ever plugs i thought were ok and we reached bhakra on the 9th of november. we had rooms arranged at bhakra sadan and from there it was around 30 mins to the dam as such. seeing the clear blue water and the scenic route was really the stuff dreams are made of.
i had read that trolling was the way to go in bhakra and thats what i did after getting my permits. the boatman was a guy called Rajkumar and he was well versed in angling lore. as we reached the landing i thought i saw a lot of weeds in the water. closer inspection revealed them to be chilwa. i never saw so many small fish at one place prior to this. periodically they would leap out of the water and i was sure that they were being chased by mahseer.
one other angler was on the water and we exchanged a civil wave. then i got busy in setting up my rods and lost track of him. i was trolling two set ups
1) 30 lb braid with a short 50 lb floro leader on a penn slammer 560 coupled with an ugly stick bigwater tiger rod.
2) 20 lb braid with 30 lb leader on a silverado 4000 on a daiwa crossfire rod.
it was kind of pleasant for the first hour or so , feeling the sun on our face. the slight breeze but the lack of a bite played things down. i cycled through all the plugs i had and trolled each for over 20 mins but got no takers.
by now it was 2 pm and on one of our runs we passed the same guy i had waved to. he had a decent sized mahseer on tow behind him and had lost 2 more. i kept at it till 3 pm when i sent the rest of the crew(family ) as they were getting mutinous to visit the naina devi temple. after another hour proved fruitless i told the boat man reluctantly to head for shore. at the jetty the boatman and i made arrangements to meet up the next day. he then said that would i like to see how the locals caught mahseer. i said yes and he sent a guy to get him some pakora's . these he proceeded to cast and sent the chilwa into overdrive. they were soon joined by several mahseer which would just gulp down a chunk. i again started to cast spinners and spoons with no luck. then these guys started a blitz with their handline and caught a mahseer 2lbs or so and a pretty large mirror carp and couple of more fish within a span of 30 mins. i had enough by then and called it a day.
next morning we reached the spot and started trolling again. an exact rerun followed. since we had to leave for home by 12, we headed back to the landing and my brother told me to cast at a spot where the chilwa were particularly agitated. he had a halco wobbler tied in and his first cast got him a good sized chilwa. it was then a routine affair he and my better half catching a chilwa every other cast or so. i changed the wobbler for a mepps size 0 thunderbug and the the odds improved with every cast hooking up.
i was feeling that i would go back empty handed and noticed the only lure i had not tried a yozuri sashimi jointed 7 cm lure lying in the tackle box. i said why not and tied it on. on my 4th cast i felt a strong strike and could not believe it. fish on !
the fight was rather like a salty than a fresh water fish but the slammer reeled it in without any fracas.
the beauty was brought over the side of the boat and released after a photo session.

bro with his chilwa
the mahseer on handline.
the rest
head on
my haul
[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Congratulations! Mahseer are always special & in very short supply!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:42 am 
Fishaholic

Good going mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats Doc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:16 am 
Fishaholic

Great Going Doc... :D

Catching Your 1st Mahseer is indeed a memorable Moment

& Thanks for Sharing....& Congrats.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Congrats doc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:30 am 
Fishaholic

Ace-doc,

Nice pictures, they catch the joy of fishing !

I have fished the Bhakra quite often and I suggest that you troll with some deep diving lures - I caught most of mine on lures that ran at a stated depth of 5-8m.

The mahseer caught (and lost!) on these were the heavier fish (guesstimate
8 kilos).

Whenever I used the shallower lures, we only caught 1 kilo sized mahseer or smaller.

If you have the time, try your hand at the Sutlej barrage in Ropar. The
Halco Wobbler used by your brother got me a nice sized silver carp (?)
but this was years ago.

I have no idea how productive this area is now and would like to hear from any anglers who have fished there.

Regards,
Kingfish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:34 am 
Fishaholic

i used cd mags and x mags for trolling. these are rated for 5-8 mts. i even trolled with halco poltergeist (5mt) but got no takes. could it be that i was using 11 cm lures as opposed to 7 cm ?
i shall probably head out to bhakra again in feb or march and then shall surely try out your advice.

Last edited by Ace_doc on Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:07 am 
Fishaholic

Good going Doc. The Mahseer is surely an special fish. Wish you many more of them.

Congratulation on your first Mahseer.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:54 pm 
Enlightened

Well done Doc,
Bhakhra is very special. Pl try casting in early morning [ dawn] or just near sunset. Thats when the maximum activity usually takes place. But for that, either you will have to stay there in some diplated place or pitch your own tent. All the best and tight lines !!!!

Harryxs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:02 am 
Fishaholic

Ace-doc,

I do not think the larger size of the lure (11cm) makes a difference as
I have caught them on this size.

I just wonder what colour of lures you used ?

I found that lures with a gold belly,green top seemed to elicit strikes
(firetiger pattern and others - specifically RMG Scorpions and a parrot
coloured Deep Tail Dancer that I seem to find only in Australian shops).

Hope this helps.

Kingfish