->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:05 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Angry Fish !!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello folks,

Been a while since i put anything online, and just having returned from a nice weekend trip, with some IA stalwarts, from Bhakra, i thought it might be a good idea to share the experience.

Firstly the anglers: MKen, Indian Gypsy, myself,Ali Bhai and Babloo Bhai, the last two giving us the pleasure of joining us from Bombay. And Gypsy's friend, a non angler by the name of Mohit

After meticulously planing to leave at 9 on Friday night, we eventually ended up leaving at about 1 a.m from Delhi. Stayed up the whole of the 7 hr drive trying to give M Ken some company. Finally made it to Nagal, and picked up enough groceries to feed an army for 3 days, ( courtesy my eyes being much larger than all our stomachs put together) !! Anyway, got to IG's lovely hut by the dam and set down our gear, and started the impatient wait for our boat to arrive. The only way to fish was to be trolling as the heavy monsoons had filled the dam to the brim, leaving no space to actually cast from the banks. MKen had taken his canoe along, so that was going to be a novel experiment.

We fished for about 6 hrs on the first day and decided to call it a day. I got on Mahaseer of about 3kgs or so ( all wights mentioned in this report are products of pure guessing :p ). This was caught on on a fluorescent green deep diver, which while trolling dives to about 25ft or so.

By the afternoon, everyone was getting restless and we got down to the basics of how it all started and fished out some chilwa with minute hooks and a hand line, which was to be dinner. Dinner in the bag, we headed back to the pad, and enjoyed the evening on the porch, with generous quantities of vodka to refresh us and fresh fried chilwa to go with the evening drinks. Simple dinner and we were ready for bed, which was laid out in the fresh open air, which was for me at least, coming from Delhi, one of the highlights of the trip. Within a matter of minutes, the only thing one could see were the stars in the sky and the only noise was that of blissful snoring ( which for some of the crew is akin to mopeds and 350 cc bikes :p)

Woke up the next morning to a beautiful day and after breakfast of parathas and eggs, we were ready to hi to the Mahaseer. Ali Bhai and Babloo Bhai were going to arriving soon, so one of us had to wait. Mken was the 'chosen' one for waiting for Ali Bhai. So, Gypsy and myself headed out to hit the water.Considering the poor action the previous day, we were hoping for better luck today.

First fish hooked on was by me, on a shiny golden deep diver, while trolling, but the beauty got away before i could land it, Next one to be caught was baby, who was immediately put back. Gypsy landed the next one of a good weight, who hd decided to get curious about a firetiger deep diver. By this time Ali Bhai and M Ken had hit the water on a 2nd boat, and so Gypsy and myself decided to attempt some bait fishing. Eventually we were once again reduced to fishing for the chilwas, and i was pleasantly surprised as to the size of some of the 'Puthias' or Tin Foil Barb that we caught. After fooling about for a bit, it was our boats turn to try to land something once again, and this time Ali Bhai joined us in the boat. Maybe it was his presence, but i hooked onto a nice fish, which gave a few heart stopping moments by rushing towards all the submerged undergrowth on the banks, but eventually after a good amount of resistance, he gave in and came aboard. A rough guesstimate would be 4- 4.5 kgs, not a monster but enough to give me the thrill that i as an angler need. Some more trolling and i hooked onto another fish... and of course i was being sworn and cursed at, and put under pressure to do illegal things .... all because the fish happened to chow down on my lures !!!!

Anyway, so that was pretty much, the end of our trip. But we noticed a few things...

a. The bites seemed like they were more aggressive than for feeding. This due to the fact that instead of the inside of the mouth, the plugs seemed to penetrate the outside bit, around the eyes, gills and the underside of the gills. Views on this will be appreciated.

b. The plugs that worked were the really bright dazzling types, which could also suggest poor visibility in the water, or alternatively that the fish are very strung up and are aggressive towards all alien things in their environment at the moment.

c This is more of a question... but the depth of the water was about 700ft. Whats depth do you think fish such as the mahaseer generally feed at? I know this is a tough one as the mahaseer generally don't live in water that deep right, so any insights maybe useful.

So in the midst of all this, and the inevitable discussions that happened at the end of the days fishing, i have also come to realise the brilliant ideas that experience like that of Ali Bhai's can come up with. He come up with an excellent idea for a rig to catch some monsters at Bhakra, but its already a patent and since it is in the R&D phase now, pls be patient about the details ;)

So thank you once again gentlemen, for driving, hosting, teaching and the company of course, The good things that come of IA...

M Ken the Hero !!!

1st Fish of the Trip

On the Water

For the drinks

Morning at Gypsy's Pad

Gypsy's fish on a Fire Tiger

Squeaky Clean Whites !!!

The fighter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:46 pm 
Fishaholic

great fish ! i plan to hit bhakra in nov so shall be grateful if u could share tips.
landing a fish like what u guys catch is my dream and i shall certainly try my level best to do so.
great angling. btw what line were u running.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:08 am 
Fishaholic

Awesome Trip Bro :D ...& Great Report

Thanks for Sharing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:30 am 
Fishaholic

Fantastic report! Felt like I was there. hahahahahaa

I did not catch anything. Not even a plastic bag. Did get a small take trolling on the kayak but it was so slight could have been my imagination.

Bora was the man of the hour. Followed closely by IGypsy. But we all learnt a lot. Including a very clever rig thought up by Ali. I think we have to try it.

I did have a lot of fun with a microscopic spinner and the chilwa. On ultra light tackle they will be great fun.

Thanks IG, Bora, Ali and Babloo for making it. And Mohit for keeping it sane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:09 am 
Fishaholic

Amazing pics. Great catches. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Mken,
The kayak that you were using, it seems that you were seated much below than an average seating height. Was there a air cushion or something supplied with the kayak?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:46 am 
Fishaholic

A great trip!!

Next trip may you all get bigger and bigger - fish!!!

Whats good is that Gypsy is there most of the time and I have always enjoyed his hospitality.

Cheers!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice report, those mahseer glistining in the sun sure look fantastic.

Vodka and Chilwa sounds great guys, wish i was there :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Gr8 report Vikram and nice catch as well.

Post subject: Very Nice report
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:03 pm 
Enlightened

An excellant place and a very good report. The pics are also very nice. Thnaks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Thank you every body.

@ Sam - You should have joined us man!!!

@ Ace Doc - Good to know that you will be hitting the place soon too. To be honest i can only give insights regarding tackle. For the logistics, fortunately or unfortunately, i have had the good fortune of just having to get into a car or train and the rest takes care of itself, courtesy of the company i was with, so i cant help much with that. But i know that there are none or very limited places to stay at the dam, but the boats are readily available.
As for gear, i was using 20 lb braid, with a 10ft long 13lb mono leader, trolling about 25 feet behind the boat. As for lures, it changes so quick, i would suggest carrying a selection of shallow and deep divers, 3-4 inches long, in both natural and bright colours, and some spoons and spinners

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Oh so nice to see so many pics after ages. Thanks to you got darshan of shri gypsy after ages. Well done and keep it up.
Loved Mr.Bond's canoe. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

It was a pleasure to accompony you guys and enjoy the hospitality. It was not possible to assess the water body of Bhakra in a short visit but I am sure, it holds tremendous potential.

Soon, very soon, I once again will visit there ,and except for the curse of Powai gods (Indirectly casted by Ken :lol: :lol: ), I am sure we will land something good.

Thank you IG, Ken and Dev once again.

See you guys soon.

Regards,

Ali. :D