->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:42 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:13 pm 
Fishaholic

thanks for the input ashok. count me in. i am going to write a letter to the conservator of forests.

i know this is highly controversial but there should be a different fee structure for indian anglers. for overseas anglers even 1500 /- is a miniscule amount. just recently british anglers landed in pancheshwar in choppers and it was all over the local news papers.

regards,
aamir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:56 am 
Fishaholic

Hi
I personally feel that there should be no discrimination between domestic and foreign anglers. All rules and fees should be the same, an equal fishing ground for the same fish
regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:17 am 

I am intrested in knowing more about this fee structure. Do they want to make this an elitist sport for maximum 'under table' revenue? :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:31 am 
Fishaholic

Well I “kind of agree” with different fee structure for locals vs foreign anglers, it depends on how you look at it. Consider this however, most foreign anglers will hire a guide to fish, so in effect they are spending more money on just their fishing trip, charging them extra for a fishing permit may not be fair. We also need to look at the total amount of revenue the country will make out of one foreign angler. The air tickets (if they choose a local airlines), airport taxes, hotel (boarding/lodging), food, fishing guide and other incidental expenses. At the end of the day you need to make a calculation based on the entire fishing trip expense what catching a fish costs a foreign angler. If we choose to look at just the fishing permit as a means of revenue then we are being tunnel versioned. So in retrospect, if we keep the licence fee the same it is not really a bad idea at all or you can take it one step further and say no licence fee for foreign anglers, just because of the revenue we make from other sources but I don’t think local anglers will like this.

I remember watching a 60 minutes program on the Aussie Barramundi some 10 years ago, they made a study on the “total expenditure” per angler that comes to catch Barramundi and it worker out to a staggering AU$6000 per angler (or was it per fish) and these was from local Aussie anglers who came to the northern territories to catch the Barra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 12:21 pm 
Fishaholic

What fees- What fees structure. Its just a joke :evil: .

There is no fees for the locals who net and hand line and then sell the fish. The fees for yearly fishing rights for commercial fisherman was something like 150 INR a year (In Paonta Saheb) and on top of that the government was giving them life insurance.

In the backdrop of Indian lifestyle, this is a sure way of discouraging the sport of local Angling. We as a hardcore converts may consider paying any amount for the pleasure of fishing but no newbie will ever take up this sport. I am afraid, the Pancheshwar is fast becoming another Jungle Lodge where some gentleman from the Raj will book all the space available and we Indian will sit and admire their record catches.

Best of luck INDIAN ANGLERS.... :(

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 9:37 pm 
Fishaholic

i totally agree with you alibhai. the increased fees will not benefit mahseer conservation in any way. its just a way of milking a source of revenue till it goes dry.

i have been to pancheshwar many times and i can assure you the fish numbers are really low and bites are difficult to come by. this is the situation here which is still considered to be a good place . i dont know about other places which are not supposed to be that good.

the only efforts at conservation are by private outfitters and NGOs.

regards,
aamir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:27 am 
Fishaholic

The permit costs Rs 750/day/rod now at Pancheshwar. Its Rs 1250/rod/day for Ramganga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:34 pm 
Enlightened

pancheswar was a holy place one time. every angler went to pancheswar with reverence.

there lived a baba in the temple and he had a lot of pets - big fish who lived in the pool next to the temple. every day the baba would feed the fish. these were temple fish and they were massive.

for any angler a visit to the baba and see the fish was a ritual. the baba was a gentle soul.

sure we all salivated over catching some of them, and sure we did on the other side. but no one fished from the temple side of the river though many a devious plans were made. noone wanted to mess with the baba. it was holy.

then one year the baba went away - stories go that the villagers shooed him away on some trumped up charges.

the temple fish were left with no one to protect them, times changed, the fish got killed.

now you know why the fish are no more in pancheswar.

thats the truth ... Pancheswar baba and his Fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:00 pm 
Fishaholic

hi bagiganga, have heard stories of the previous baba and his fish:D ,but i think his pets are still there :D . last year we went to the temple to see if we could get the blessings of the (new)baba :wink: . luckily he had gone somewhere and one of us cast a rubber plug from the steps. BANG... a 30+ pounder took the lure within seconds. the fish was quickly landed and released before the baba came back. that was really exciting :-)

aamir

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Honest anglers with a passion for the sport would be the best long term "Baba" for Mahseer! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:56 am 
Fishaholic

Lovely pics and beautiful fish.....

Can u shed some light on the rubber plug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:31 pm 
Fishaholic

hi shapan, as the name suggests rubber plugs are lures made of rubber. the wheight is built in and the tail has all the action. in fast rivers you just cast the lure and let it bump on the bottom. but be carefull, one of the bumps could be a mahseer :D . to see a picture open www.stormlures.com. hope this helps.

regards,
aamir.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanx Amir

Post subject: Re: himalayan monsters
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:15 pm 

Is fishing still good in Pancheswar? I know this an old thread, all replies would be greatly appreciated.