->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:39 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:52 am 

Hi: I'm considering a trip to the Sangam area of the Kaveri River in later October, but I'm concerned post-monsoon conditions will make for poor fishing. Has anyone out there had successful angling experiences on the Kaveri in October?

Thanks,
Pete
Edmonds, Washington

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:07 am 
Site Admin

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the forum.

Post monsoon is a good time to fish on the cauvery provided the water level is down to normal. I know that the Sangam part of the cauvery holds a lot of Carp. Mahseer are found upriver and below Sangam.

If you could tell us what species you are targetting we could give you some more tips.

Cheers
Bopanna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Pete,

October might be a bit early this year on the Cauvery. I've caught a lot of mahseer earlier in the year but most fish were post October 15th on the Sangam stretch of the river.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Pete,
November / December the Bheemeshwari stretch (up river) and December till the monsoons the Galibori stretch are good for mahseer. The water needs to clear up and go down a bit after the monsoons.
October can be OK only if the rains have been very poor, and therefore the outflow from the dams upriver brought to a minimum. Don't count on that happening. Plus there are interstate politics involved, where Karnataka is supposed to let out a certain quantity of water during certain seasons of the year, and Karnataka does find it more convenient to do this while there are still chances of rain. (Some spill over from the monsoons rains that hit Tamil Nadu in the monts of October & November).
Hope this has been helpful.
Regards
Owen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:32 pm 

Thanks Bopanna, Mighty and Owen for the replies. Sounds like Galibore/Sangam area is a questionable proposition for mahseer in October.

How about farther up-river? I'll be in the greater Mysore area in 3rd week of October. Are there known, fishable sections of the Kaveri north/northeast of Mysore, where I can get above the dams and have a better chance of finding larger mahseer (40 lb.s and up)? Best setup for me is to lodge in Mysore, then hook up with a fishing guide for day-trips to the Kaveri. I plan to have car & driver hired, so travel up to 2 hrs to fishable water is not a problem.

Thanks again for your help,
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Going to Bhimeshwari this coming weekend. Will let you know what it's like. Bear in mind though that they let out water from the dams at odd intervals.

I don't think you will be permitted to fish off the KRS dam. It's a restricted area now.

Rustam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:04 am 
Fishaholic

pete wrote:
Thanks Bopanna, Mighty and Owen for the replies. Sounds like Galibore/Sangam area is a questionable proposition for mahseer in October.

How about farther up-river? I'll be in the greater Mysore area in 3rd week of October. Are there known, fishable sections of the Kaveri north/northeast of Mysore, where I can get above the dams and have a better chance of finding larger mahseer (40 lb.s and up)? Best setup for me is to lodge in Mysore, then hook up with a fishing guide for day-trips to the Kaveri. I plan to have car & driver hired, so travel up to 2 hrs to fishable water is not a problem.

Thanks again for your help,
Pete

Hi Pete,
Send Bops a PM, he knows all about the Kaveri in malvalli. I hear that this is about the only place it can be fished as early as October, and some very good catches too.
Rustam will probably have bad news regarding the Bheemeshwari stretch this coming week end. Rains perdicted in the Mysore region for the next 5 days and beyond.
Check out this link it has worked pretty accurately for me in the past.
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... ery=Mysore
Moreover the water release from the dam is very high at the moment. Have been in contact with one of the WASI guy's who visited the WASI lakes above the Shivasamundram falls late last week, he says he has never seen so much water in the falls before, and that is saying a lot, because we visited the same spot just a month back together, and i thought the amount of water being released then was phenominal.
Regards
Owen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:41 am 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
Rustam will probably have bad news regarding the Bheemeshwari stretch this coming week end. Rains perdicted in the Mysore region for the next 5 days and beyond.

It certainly looks that way. However, I'm just tagging along with a friend who is taking some U.S. visitors out for the weeked. If nothing else, I can practice my casting. :mrgreen: Get to see Bheemeshwari as well.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:44 pm 

Rustam: looking forward to hearing your report. I came across some photos of mahseer catches...not clear which river/s but am guessing at least a few of these are from the Kaveri:

http://www.indianbeat.net/index2.phpopt ... id=5&pop=1

Note photo in upper right corner: 45lb. fish landed early November from river in spate!!

Am I just torturing myself thinking I could have similar success in late October on the Kaveri?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Rustam: looking forward to hearing your report.

Will do, Pete.

Quote:
Am I just torturing myself thinking I could have similar success in late October on the Kaveri?

You never know. If nothing else, it will only make you more keen to return. The predicted heavy showers haven't materialised, at least not in Bangalore and the weather gods may just smile your way.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:02 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Pete,

The river is still quite high. Needs to go down by another 24" to 30" according to the ghillie. However, it wasn't too muddy but neither was it crystal clear.

Though heavily overcast on Saturday, it did not rain barring a very mild drizzle around sunset. Sunday was quite hot.

My friend Sahadev hooked into a mahseer using light spinning tackle within 30 minutes of the first cast. It must have weighed between 1.5 to 1.75 lbs. Couldn't get a pic as Sahadev released it immediately.

The rest of Saturday was a blank for everyone. On Sunday most of us had a nibble or two in the rapid section but that was about it.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:50 am 
Fishaholic

Rustam,

The gillies who fish, what do you honestly reckon they do with a Mahseer when none of you guys are not around, do they release them or take them home for a meal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:05 am 
Fishaholic

They could get lynched for doing that Bobby. Moreover the camps are far from their homes, and they all live at the camps, visiting home once a month or once a fortnight.
All gillies are under observation, and i don't think any of them would risk loosing their jobs for a fish or two.
However there are always a couple of bad apples, but by and large the gillies don't do these things, as they know that their livelyhood is assured as long as these fish are around.
This is just my opinion, after many years of interaction with them.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:27 am 
Fishaholic

Good to know Owen, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
The gillies who fish, what do you honestly reckon they do with a Mahseer when none of you guys are not around, do they release them or take them home for a meal?

Bobby,

I don't know much about all the Jungle Lodge & Resorts ghillies and guards but suffice to say some of them are ex-poachers. The one who was ghilling for me was an ex-poacher.

Considering that on two of the three occassions I have been to the JLR stretch of the Cauvery, there have been instances of JLR guards being caught red handed by the WASI guards (we still have six guards on that stretch), I would be less inclined to look at them with rose tinted glasses but neither would I tar all of them with the same brush.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:07 pm 
Fishaholic

The best poachers make the best guides..... now wait a minute :shock: OR is it the other way around :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:57 pm 
Fishaholic

I guess a little tipple in the afternoon is in Vogue these days if youre not fishing with MM