->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:48 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Fishing in Bhakra Dam
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:26 pm 

hi,
I had gone to bhakra for a few days , 1st week of feb .
After getting the fishing licence from the Local Guy called Kholi, we took a traller for few hrs and did most of the anglining from the traller .

I managed to catch 3 Silver Mahasher, not very big i guess 1.5 Kg approx.

Cheers,
Vinay[/url]

Last edited by vinay_c on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:42 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup! There go a few more mahseer. Obviously they were not released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Vinay dude - you look like a nice guy and am sure that it must have been a great experience for a novice angler, like you, to have caught a mahseer , but was it necessary to take it for the pot ??? Both of the fish weighed together would be about a kg in weight and am pretty sure that not much flesh would have come out from them to tingle your taste buds ... One suggestion to you, is that fish, in as many waters you want and catch as many mahseers as you feel, BUT ( and i cannot stress this enough ) release them back to where they truly belong...

Tight Lines....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Vinay well done on catching them fish .... but mate catch and release please.

Post subject: bhakra dam
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:06 am 
Enlightened

Words of wisdom from Gavin. All would be fish merchants,take heed. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:29 am 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Vinay dude - you look like a nice guy and am sure that it must have been a great experience for a novice angler, like you, to have caught a mahseer , but was it necessary to take it for the pot ??? Both of the fish weighed together would be about a kg in weight and am pretty sure that not much flesh would have come out from them to tingle your taste buds ... One suggestion to you, is that fish, in as many waters you want and catch as many mahseers as you feel, BUT ( and i cannot stress this enough ) release them back to where they truly belong...

Tight Lines....

I Ditto what gavin has said.

Congratulation for catching the best fish of fresh water and I know the thrill and joy of landing them must have been great but as mahseer is highly endangered species, kindly release them. Just a request.

Regards.

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice fish.

In the past I have also been guilty of keeping mahseer, but as Gavin suggested the two in the first pic would be nothing more than a choking hazard, more bones less flesh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:20 pm 

Hi Vinay, that must have been a long walk up from the edge of the water? Henry once did it in pitch darkness, with me huffing along-when he was 55 pretending to be 75...good show, keep on catching, but as the greybeards have said, keep on releasing too.
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:03 pm 

Hi Guys,
This was a exception , we had retained two , as my folks did not want the fishes to be released .

I have been angling for a while now , and 99% of the time the fishes caught have been released.

I am not a fan of cooking them,, How ever I do agree the fishes should be released

Vinay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:47 pm 
Fishaholic

The commercial netting of Mahseer in Bhakra would be reducing the numbers ? We cannot control that so the numbers will be in decline. Anglers would be putting little pressure on the mahseer numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Here we go again the local versus the angler who is more dangerous to the fish ? mate in case of mahseer lets all of us try and do our best. Catch and release, these guys are really endangered species

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:28 pm 
Enlightened

hey Vinay

Apart from the question of releasing the fish, which should have been done. They are the most godawful tasting fish on planet earth :):). Trust me on this I am a Bengali:):). The first time I tasted mahseer and mind it I had not caught it as mahseerken ( if u remember that first outing Ken) will testify, it almost made me puke. So put them back next time and get some grass carp, now thats one sweet tasting fish and i think they are not on the verge of extinction.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:29 pm 
Fishaholic

ashokpkl wrote:
The commercial netting of Mahseer in Bhakra would be reducing the numbers ? We cannot control that so the numbers will be in decline. Anglers would be putting little pressure on the mahseer numbers.

This is so typical, I don't know if I should Laugh of Cry, it is just like littering on the streets in India, every one complains that place is filthy and how the Government is not doing anything about it, but very few of those same people who complain, will even hesitate before chucking a wrapper or paper or anything like that onto the street.

Every Mahseer counts guys, we cannot just pass the buck and blame commercial fishing, we need to pitch in as well, one female Masheer can lay thousands of eggs. This is an endangered species we are talking about.

Our whole society needs an enema a real strong one, we need to rethink our ways.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:45 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
ashokpkl wrote:

This is so typical, I don't know if I should Laugh of Cry, it is just like littering on the streets in India, every one complains that place is filthy and how the Government is not doing anything about it, but very few of those same people who complain, will even hesitate before chucking a wrapper or paper or anything like that onto the street.

Every Mahseer counts guys, we cannot just pass the buck and blame commercial fishing, we need to pitch in as well, one female Masheer can lay thousands of eggs. This is an endangered species we are talking about.

Our whole society needs an enema a real strong one, we need to rethink our ways.
[smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=coolup.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:14 am 
Fishaholic

arrrgggghhhhhhh................. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:54 pm 
Fishaholic

ashokpkl wrote:

Ashok ji... you are now putting yourself on the same plane as those commercial fishermen who are largely uneducated about conservation of an eco systems and the various species.This is sometimes out of circumstances and sometimes because they choose to be so...but either way, the very fact that you are a member of this forum means you should be taking more interest and spreading awareness rather than following in the footsteps of the uneducated brethren !!! After all, all of us understand the pleasure a large, fit and fighting Mahaseer gives us... and we hope to enjoy this for many more years and not deprive future generations of this great experience. So come on... and remember that it is lots of drops of water that make an Ocean... and we are the drops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:49 pm 
Fishaholic

shouldnt we be publicising the endangerment of this magnificent fish... perhaps pushing for a ban in fishing for them for a few years to allow the species to stablise..
we almost had a similar state of afairs with the salmon in scotland... then they found they could farm them commercially... the salmon are returning in numbers to the scottish rivers ... and a number of english rivers they have even been reported in the river don... once the most polluted river in europe so why cant the mahseer be bred and reintruduced....
and another silly question, if the mahseer tastes so revolting..... why are the locals taking them???? :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:57 pm 
Fishaholic

trancer wrote:
shouldnt we be publicising the endangerment of this magnificent fish... perhaps pushing for a ban in fishing for them for a few years to allow the species to stablise..
we almost had a similar state of afairs with the salmon in scotland... then they found they could farm them commercially... the salmon are returning in numbers to the scottish rivers ... and a number of english rivers they have even been reported in the river don... once the most polluted river in europe so why cant the mahseer be bred and reintruduced....
and another silly question, if the mahseer tastes so revolting..... why are the locals taking them???? :oops:

Basic problems vs Basic solutions...

The locals take it for one reason and that is food. Its the much needed meat in diet cause he can't afford a prime rib. You have to see the average non veg diet in a himalayan mountain village...

as far as creating awareness goes, JLR and other camps on the cauvery have doen a brilliant job of generating revenue from the deccan mahseer. One has to understand that there are many a different types of mahseer found in different parts of India. to begin with, there are no "silver mahseer" at Bhakra. It is the golden mahseer, which unlike its deccan counter part is not silver by far.

There are a few places in Uttrakhan and Himachal which are comming up or have come up and are trying to do their fair share of creating revenue and awareness at the same time, thus help save the mahseer. There are a number of camps on the Kali, Ganges, Sutlej and Beas which are doing it.

Some thing needs to be done about the plight of the red finned mahseer in Central India. No publicity yet...

Cheers,

IG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 11:47 pm 
Fishaholic

I.G. is the red finned mahseer, the deccan mahseer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:18 am 
Fishaholic

thanks IG and as long as people like you and i talk about it then it is being publicised however weakly...perhaps its not the people who are taking the mahseer as food that need educated but the people responsible for THEIR welfare... so we can only keep rattling our tins and hope that someone somewhere sees our comments and says "oh"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:24 pm 
Fishaholic

trancer wrote:
perhaps its not the people who are taking the mahseer as food that need educated but the people responsible for THEIR welfare...
Bro that is the problem of not only with Mhseer cause put practically everything which is wrong in this country and unfortunately we have to live with it and its a shame :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:44 pm 
Fishaholic

no my friend we dont have to live with it... i'm a relative stranger to this wonderful world called india... but i'm sure in your lifetime you have witnessed many changes... this is life, the things WE want changed seem to take forever, but dont just shrug your shoulders and walk away, you are an angler, and your very nature must be to conserve... i admit in the grand scheme of things most would say conserving a fish is very low down on the list of things but we all have diffrent lists... you dont have to convince me about conserving fish and their habitat... but what about the guy sitting at the next desk or the guy on the bus or train or plane... you dont have to bore them, just let them know how much you want your grandson to catch a mahseer... and how wonderful it would be if their granson was with yours when he caught it, instead of hanging round in the city... who knows who might be listening... perhaps the next gandhi... enjoying your ellequence but learning what you already know... tight lines, doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:53 am 
Fishaholic

When I saw the fishing in Bhakra first hand it was very clear that the Mahseer was not threat even from Anglers who take out fish!

I say locals using handlines with bait and catching Mahseer in the (below) 500 gms range which were, well, immediately put in the pot. A license fee of Rs.40/day does not help either. There was no one from the Fisheries Deptt to stop them.

I reckon about 100 small Mahseer would end up in the pot in one area where the boats are parked! In the whole Gobind Sagar dam just extrapolate and adjust for the nets!!!

If only this lake was managed professionally!!! We have big Mahseer (2-15 kgs) in tens of thousands!

I will be there on September 29-30 so more posts then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:30 pm 
Fishaholic

It was really nice to study all the posts in this thread. After my second trip to Bhakra where we caught 5 and released 4 Mahseer back it became amply clear that its only the angling community which cares about Mahseer.

Also, there could progression from a hunter (of fish) to a sports fisherman which may take some years. Well, the sooner the better and its good to see how fast its happening now. I remember which I started fishing in YamunaNagar (1984) I took out many Mahseer but I returned a lot too. I started removing barbs from the lures not because of any law or input from anyone but just because it looked wrong and it was clear it would damage the fish.

Management of the water body done professionally by the fisheries department can a game changer yielding more and bigger Mahseer but looks unlikely.

Today, the shortage of Mahseer stocks makes it important that we conserve them and hope the Govt does its bit too.

Here I would like to add that catch & release means releasing the fish in good shape. We must be educated on the do's & do not's so that the Mahseer we released is good shape when its swims back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:20 am 
Fishaholic

Agree Ashok..nice post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:00 pm 
Fishaholic

i agree with bobby... its a nice post
the simple truth is that anglers must progress from hunter to conservationists
the waters in England are full of fish and anglers are fishing all the time, but only catch and release.. if we took them home then within a month the fish stock would be gone, not just depleted but gone...
we are having to watch the immigrants from eastern Europe, as they do take the fish for the table which is against most fishery rules.. mostly they set lines fastened to the bankside and return after dark and pull in their prize
but they will learn hopefully... after they get prosecuted...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Trancer regarding catch & release in Europe, US & Canada I am under the assumption (correct me if I am wrong) that fish are taken out in numbers and released also. This is because of good fish stocks and correct management/catch & release viz. you are not supposed to take out fish depending on specifics like less than this length or/and greater than this. Its science I suppose which yields results.

To give you an example more than 6 million deer (out of 30 odd million, 2008 figure) are shot in the US by big game hunters each year without a drop in deer numbers. Habitat protection and scientific management can yield big results for fish & wildlife.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Yet, in India all out activities have to be seen against the backdrop of mismanagement, destruction of water bodies, rampant poaching et al.

So, we anglers have to set the pace and commit to the maximum catch & release and safe handling of the fish.

Hope we can take the sport from where it is today to a more popular one with more sport fish stocks and better managed water bodies. Its also time anglers / association interact with the fisheries departments / tourism department to give suggestions for time bound improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:58 pm 
Enlightened

along the lines of conservation.......i would like to suggest for qualified anglers on this (our) forum to take initiatives for mahseer breeding and share the same to all on the forum, so that with proper guidance an angler like me can also implement the same in my state.
Please suggest as i am really interested in breeding and for release in wild.

tightlines
mchishi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:56 am 
Fishaholic

In my town, we have a local pond where we are developing some good murrell... Many people following me to takecare those murrell... also catch them and release them...
I am really happy that, some part I am able to tech my frnds reagrding angleing...

Happy Fishing...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Probably, there is low demand for developing ponds / small lakes for sports fish. Species such as carps, catfish & snakehead would be easy to breed in such water bodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:13 am 
Fishaholic

Yes ashok.. you are absolutely right...

Murrel is a very good species to develop in local pond or lakes. Right now we have 7 or 8 good murrels (Size btw 1 to 1.5 kg) and everybody waiting for monsoon season when they will breed and populate our pond... :D

Happy Fishing....