->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:49 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:38 pm 

hello all. whilst compiling my india holiday snaps for the forum , a friend (thomas ,came fishing for mahseer and then to the andaman with me)) emailed me from nepal. next week he will be doing a 5 day rafting trek down the SUN KOSI and the KARNALI rivers. he asked me to ask you wonderful chaps what species around ? what style? and what tackle! thankyou all. and sorry for being slow with my report. internet down and broken pc!! regards greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:32 pm 
Enlightened

Greg,
I have just returned from that area, flew back to the UK yesterday. I rafted down part of the Karnali - from Chisapani bridge - but ended up fishing on the Babai River instead.
There are mahseer in the Karnali but it is quite a big river so finding them could be hard work. It is also quite deep in places - upstream of Chisapani the rivers passes through gorges so is narrower and deeper - so he'll want some deep diving plugs, spoons, and maybe some rubber shads with fairly heavy lead heads. I took a 2.75 lb test curve carp rod and a 4 lb test curve spod rod with me and a big pit style reel loaded with 25 lb line - I've found that if you go too heavy you can't work the lures properly. Livebaits will also be well worth a go.
If possible he'll want to stop the raft upstream of any pools that he is going to fish as I'm sure the fish won't put up with disturbance as these areas are quite remote and away from villages, etc.
It is a beautiful area with lots of wildlife - we found tiger pug marks near where we were camping and a herd of elephants crossed the river one nighty about 40 m or so from where we were camping. There is also a chance of seeing gangetic dolphins and garial crocodiles.
Sorry i don't have more info, hope that helps a bit.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:18 pm 

cheers gary you star!! i came back from india 3 weeks ago and want to go back!! hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:48 pm 
Enlightened

No problem, your friend might also want some heavier tackle for bait fishing - no point going too light as this is only really of benefit when lure fishing.

I only fished for 2.5 days as the main purpose of my visit was to attend a friend's wedding in Delhi, but had a few days to spare so thought I'd do some fishing. I'll be going back for a longer trip next time, probably spending a couple of days on the Babai, then a bit of time on the Karnali and then maybe ending with a few days on the Ramganga (it isn't much out of your way on the way back to Delhi, only about an hour-and-a-half from Rudrapur to Ramnagar).
Am also missing India, although can't complain as also had a month on the Cauvery in December!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:52 am 

month on the cauvery! no you cant complain! .. hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:02 am 

Good fishing for small mahseer on the Babai, with several spots easily accessible from the road.
The Karnali - Chisapani Gorge is good. Further upstream I've had success at the confluence with the Seti, but it's tricky to get to. Upstream from there the confluence of the Seti and Budhi Ganga is good, and all points in between.
I think you might struggle on the Sun Khosi. I rafted the whole river last year without scoring a decent fish. If I were you I would concentrate on the lower reaches where the Arun and Tamar enter the Sun Khosi. I've had success there in the past but timing can be a bit hit & miss - either the fish are there or they're not, and it might be getting a bit late (I prefer October). Still, you certainly won't catch anything if you don't try.
Good luck & let us know how you get on.
Ooops, just noticed the date of this thread and see my advice is 12 months late! (sorry guys, comments still hold good though)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:09 pm 

no worries!! :D
another place to add to my to do/see list!
regards