->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:07 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:29 pm 

Anyone up to speed on fishing prospects at Chisapani these days? Assuming present political difficulties dont prohibit travel, I'm hoping to visit next spring.

I'm aware of Mr Ashness's efforts in 2000 / 2001 through his excellent articles on Anglers Net - Kevin has been very helpful, but his information is now 4 - 5 years old. I'd luv to hear from anyone who has fished this location more recently ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Andy,

Have you any idea what kind of Mahseer they were catching there? And how big they got? I guess it was rafting/angling trips they were on.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:46 am 

the mahseer go big but just at the moment, so do the dangers. I was crossing my fingers that the political situation seemed to be easing, but i hear its all been kicking off again recently :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Yup, know what you mean about the scene there. I've a long standing open invite to fish in Nepal which I haven't used yet. Don't see myself going there this year. I guess it'll have to wait till I have the time and the political turmoil in Nepal ends.

Regards,
Mighty M.

Post subject: chisapani
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:12 pm 

Hi Andy,

I live in Kathmandu and have been scouting for Mahseer fishing prospects for a while now. We're currently exploring the Trishuli, Marshyangdi and Seti rivers for good fishing spots. Since not much has been written on Mahseer angling in Nepal apart from Kevin Ashness' articles, we figured that it's best to set out ourselves and find what we can.

I would like to know where Chisapani is - the only one I've heard of is down the Dakshinkali road from Kathmandu which the locals call "Chisay-pani" - are you referring to this same place ? If so, would love to know - in fact we'll check the place out asap. You see, chisay means cold and pani means water - so there could quite a few places in the Nepal himalaya named after cold water !

As far as the "political turmoil" is concerned, I am sure it's safe to fish in central nepal without any trouble at all - western nepal (bardia and Kevin Ashness' favourite spots) is not recommended right now. But even there, the worst that can happen is that you can be asked to pay the maoist rebels a sum of 7-15 $ (negotiable) for a complete clearance to fish, travel, trek wherever you want in Nepal for the entire tenure of your trip - heck, they even give you a "received with thanks" duly stamped and signed receipt !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Terence, the 7-15$ is the prize on your head !! Little game for them rebels :twisted: :twisted:

Will never take the chance, mate !!!

Post subject: heads or tails
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:27 pm 

:D No worries Gavin, come on over. Nepal isn't as unsafe as the media make it out to be. It's easier to fish in Nepal than it is to cross Chowringhee !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Agree on that point mate.. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:41 am 

andy,

here's a calculated guess about your chisapani - western nepal by the karnali river near the bardia national park.

haven't been there yet. but our last trip to the trishuli - seti confluence was a bummer. the only thing we learnt was after september it's fruitless to fish the trishuli, the seti and the marshyangdi for mahseer.

the good news is that after september all through until march, the narayani (which is formed downstream from these rivers) is full of mahseer and we have confirmed reports of one being caught everyday at devghat (by a handful of locals who are only just beginning to learn how to get them on a hook !) - just imagine the scene with pro anglers armed to the teeth with rapala and mepps ammo...or for that matter ragi or hing !

now this info is for central nepal - an area we believe that has not been explored for mahseer fishing as much as the western region has. we're still exploring here. with a little more digging and footwork along the rivers, we can come up with more on the mahseer movement here.

as far as the developing political situation is concerned the 3-word headline in the himalayan times 2 days ago sums it all up - PEACE AT LAST. the maoists have agreed to sign a UN arms monitoring deal and the country will be going in for elections to a constituent assembly soon. and no one except the (erstwhile?) monarch has a problem with that.

so if you're planning to make that chisapani trip - now's the time to do it.

here's to happier hunting grounds !

Post subject: Re: chisapani
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:48 am 

yakyetiyak wrote:
the good news is that after september all through until march, the narayani (which is formed downstream from these rivers is full of mahseer and we have confirmed reports of one being caught everyday at devghat ... now this info is for central nepal - an area we believe that has not been explored for mahseer fishing as much as the western region has. we're still exploring here. with a little more digging and footwork along the rivers, we can come up with more on the mahseer movement here.

Facinating stuff yakaty, I'd always assumed that the most productive fishing grounds for mahseer had been sussed out and written about many years ago.

Sure, K. Ashness wrote about the far west a few years back, but many others had recorded Chisapani as a notable fishing venue before then, not least Macdonald in 1948.

Bottom line is that the Karnalli has, and always will be, a far more productive catchment than the Trisulli for mahseer simply because of its geographical nature

Of course, heading further east to Assam & beyond is a different matter again : plenty of unchartered territory there ...

Post subject: Re: chisapani
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:09 am 

yakyetiyak wrote:
As far as the "political turmoil" is concerned, I am sure it's safe to fish in central nepal without any trouble at all - western nepal (bardia and Kevin Ashness' favourite spots) is not recommended right now. But even there, the worst that can happen is that you can be asked to pay the maoist rebels a sum of 7-15 $ (negotiable) for a complete clearance to fish, travel, trek wherever you want in Nepal for the entire tenure of your trip - heck, they even give you a "received with thanks" duly stamped and signed receipt !!

I hope ur right mate, cos I just signed up for a visit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:56 am 

http://nepalitimes.com/issue/326/BizNews/12924

With the PLA militia playing volleyball in the camps now you needn't worry Andy. Have a safe flight though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:14 am 

that's a good point actually, just been looking at the flight route, and alot of the airspace between London and Katmandu is controlled by people who dont particularly like englishmen at the moment :(