->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:35 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:22 pm 

HI GUYS

Just a quick question to anyone whos fished this area, or others in the close range with flies.....whats a good size, colour and weight of fies to use for Mahseer in and around the corbett park area, also how best to use them in the pools and rapids....???

i have fished this area 3 times before but never with flies, the biggest fish of 42lb, came to a mepps number 4 with diffrent hooks and split rings, so would a small / medium fly spoon work???

cheers

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:06 am 

Hi Chris,
I've fished this stretch a couple of times upto Bykasein at different times of the year, April and October. However, I haven't managed to land a fish onthe fly although to be honest I haven't spent a lot of time oon the fly - as you say the lure and also deadbait/atta techniques have produced. But I'm not going to give up the fly due to the attraction of playing a mahseer (any mahseer!) on the fly really excites me!

We have caught Indian Trout though, which are lovely looking fish.

I have mainly used a floating line and flies such as Wolly buggers, Blackamoor, stonefly nymph, Salmon files like willie gunn. allys shrimp also fry patterns. I even tried Bone fish patterns like crab ( great bait if you can find them).

I'll be packing the fly kit next time I go, hoepfully next October, I've alot of unfinished business inhte North:)

Good luck, I'd be very intereested to hear how you fare if you try the fly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:33 pm 

thanks for your reply, i think i read about your trip on the angling direct site...looked good, i will try and get myself some of the flies you have mentioned, when you fished Bhikyasen did you see any big fish in the temple pools, and further upstream Masi and other places along the same road. i saw a fish in May 06 in that area that made me spechless, i couldnt even muster the breath to call to my friend who was at the bottom of the big rock and about 10 yards away, it was like someone had taken my voice away....i estimate that fish to be 60lb +....the very next day i landed a 42lb golden and my friend was broken in the same pool with 25lb Maxima....i thnk these fish move so much...one day loads of fish the next nothing and they cant be found.

one thing i like with the north is that if its going to happen it comes early, every big one ive caught has been on the first cast of the day....this fact alaone keeps you on your toes all and scanning the water all day for fish....because you never know whats going to happen, and whats going to hit the lure next.

take care and thanks for the help

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:28 am 

That trip was the first time they had run the tour. We did a rafting trip down to Marchula camping by the river & fishing likely spots, over 4 days or so. Then stayed on, thinking to raft again but the water was lowfor rafting and we didn't see very many fish either. Great funthough and a great way to explore the river. A few fish to 16lb were caught on spinners. Guides didn;t like the yellow/red combinations on the mepps and blacked them out with a lighter.

Unfortuanltery we didn't fish a great deal at Bykasyein, thats where the raft went in but after reading about your success it sounds challenging!!

Just as you say, the fish on their website came to first cast, to an ABU Koster borrowed from one of the guides ( sadly now hanging in a tree at Marchule although I expect some entrprising local has recovered it)

Peter Collingsworth filmed the trip and the capture too but as yet I don't think its been released. He fished almost exclusively on the fly and had a few small mahseer.

Two of us went back later last March organised ourselves and had some great sport and this time saw some fantastic fish, I hooked one on the last night and I too got smashed on 25lb big game. This time we concentrated on the lower reaches arounf Marchula to the boundary of the park. Can't quite get my head to use 40lb line as in hte south - & doesn't work very well with lures.

BTW We're off to Galibore in March, just after Mr Plummer leaves camp and I dead keen to bank a fly caught mahseer then.

All the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:20 pm 
Enlightened

The Cauvery is a much bigger river and 40 lb is the minimum I'd use due to the rocks - if you hit something sharp even that will cut like cotton. For lure fishing I'd drop to a minimum of 30, but you tend to be fishing bigger lures than you would on rivers such as the Ramganga so can get away with it a bit more without compromising the action too much. I mainly bait fish on the Cauvery, ragi, crab or chilwa as it is often still coloured when i go. Am flying out next Saturday for a month at Bheemeshwari or if the water drops enough might have a go at Galibore at the end of my stay.
A Malaysian guy i know, George, has tried on the fly when I've been out there before, think he has had small ones but it is hard going.