[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 494: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5336: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3925)
Jain Kul & Mekadatu - INDIANANGLER ->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:48 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Jain Kul & Mekadatu
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi MM,
Heres a couple of pix that will set your heart racing !

Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,
No idea how I missed these. What beautiful water!? I'm sure they're a couple of 'submarines' lurking in this bit of the stretch. Would love to hook into a mulley or silund in these waters.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Great waters for all three MM!
Mahseer / Silund / Wallago Attu(Mulley), and would you believe it Giant Murral in one particular spot. Of course the butter cats are everywhere in this area, and i have even caught pink carp, rohu and kurrel from Jain Kul in days gone by. We used to take fresh shrimp with us to catch the above 4 species.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Why are these fish called "Butter" cats? Has it got something to do with their eating qualities?

Regards,

Bobby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

I can well imagine giant murral being in this spot. One one trip here Prathap pulled out a chap around the 4 kilo mark. I'm sure the resident population must be huge. Not 'ideal' murral waters if you look, but still will hold them.

Remember the mahseer chasing schools of Chilwa in the froth, the water was so wild and awesome. We just sat and watched the action in disbelief! Long long ago, pity I had no plugs then. :cry:

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:09 pm 
Fishaholic

Have tried plugs mate (Rapala), nothing doing, crabs they love, all of them.
The murral spot is just below the caves. Getting down is a bit of a night mare, but possible. The spotted variety live down there, have caught some big ones in the past at this place.
When you see the chilwa on the move it's a great time for mahseer fishing!
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:29 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Owen - Who's the cowboy in your pic ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:32 pm 
Fishaholic

That there dude is Bunty. The man with more luck in his little finger than i have in my whole arm 8)
Dude just needs to pee in the river and the mahseer climb up.
The day i go fishing with him, i am assured of a blank, while he is all smiles :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:18 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:23 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject: Masheer fishing
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Fred and Owen

I like the bit about Water Craft...I also think that's very crucial as the equipment available and a bit of practise can get accurate casts.

The very interesting point that Owen makes is the 'holding' of the bait - that's an art and obviously requires knowledge of the water..

We dont use live/dead/paste bait and prefer plugging..and getting the plug to retrieve thru the holding channel (which we hope is holding some fish, as we cant be sure), while wiggling thru the bottom of the channel is what I aim for..I need to work on this and understand water craft better..practise more

On the Rod/Reel combo, I spent two days working on this and tried several reels/rods, checked their balance and stuff and seriously recommend a Lamiglass 8'6'' MH and a Penn Slammer (the slammer does not come in 7000 or 6000, the biggest is in the 4000/5000 range) and this reel is really solid, compact and can hold 300 yds of 30 Lb fireline, which should be enough..what you have is a combo that balances perfect, feels like a dream, casts beautiful and is very light and extremely strong - so very little fatigue if you are spending the entire day on the water..

The reel/rod/line should come for $350 plus and is worth it. Another rod brand, esp if you want an excellent rod and snob value is Bruce & Walker - understand it's the H&H of game fishing and comes in various lenghths - have used a 10' 6'' and it should match perefect with a Penn 6000 or smaller - Most of my friends are using 7500, 8500 Penns and I find them too heavy and I think an overkill for even monster fish..

Sorry, dont know about the regulation of carrying in rods - have carried 6 ft rod cases w/o a problem

Thanks Fred and Owen :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Another point about the slammer - its built much tougher than the Penn regulars like the Captiva or the SS - so I figure that the smaller slammer can handle the 'slamming of a monster' far better than the larger 7500/8500s. When you handle the slammer the solid feel is the first impression you get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:10 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject: Masheer fishing
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:31 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject: Re: Masheer fishing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:37 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject: Masheer Fishing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:56 pm 
Fishaholic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

The rivers that we fish.

Tight Lines

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

Lovely pictures Jeen. How far would this place be from Wayanad?

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys ,

looks like I posted a picture twice.The wrong generation you see. "Too old to rock N roll too young to die"

And Steve-- You r damn right I do miss Munnar.
Coming to thinkof it I do about 2 trips a year to india. Thats probably one fishing trip a year as one of these trips invariably dumbs you into the monsoon.
NOw if you shift your focus to mathematics , this would mean anther 15 or 20 fishing trips in my life time!!
Holy Sh--- 20 trips!!. THats why I always hated mathematics. Mathematics is reality, no room for fantasy there.
Bobs I hope youn wont kick me off the site for straying--- I like your sitea lot and think you have done some terrific stuff. No wonder you have some great guys on this forum

Tight Lines

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:06 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Jeen,

Thanks for posting those pictures of that river in Munnar. As we all could see it's a beautiful little river and will bring one hours of joy spinning for Mahseer on light line. I guess at some point every river in India must have had Mahseer, it's a pity one has to look quite hard for a river like that these days.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:58 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Jeen.
when are you taking me fishing to Munnar mate!
Is there any fishing license involved, forest dept permission etc?
Leaving next weekend for Kodai, will try and meet up with Mani.
Regards
Owen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:57 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:39 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Seriously Freddie, I need Owen's job.. Had to tell my boss am going on a pilgrimage to squeeze out a few days :lol:

Owen's complaining that this is the first leave he has had in 20 years of service.. Imagine if the bugger had to do this every year :roll: :roll:

Seriously Owen - Any vacancies at ur place ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:23 am 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:50 pm 
Fishaholic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:15 pm 
Fishaholic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Dear Viraj,

This post for the Slammer vs.SSm and other Penn reels. I do want a reel which has solid engineering so thanks for the inputs. I wanted a big Mahseer reel. Can I use the Slammer 560 [the largest slammer] with 20 LB Berkeley Big Game. The line capacity is listed only at 15 lbs/ 240 mts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:46 am 
Fishaholic