->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:10 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:22 am 
Fishaholic

It’s a common phenomena that the first few casts will get you fish and thereafter all action ceases. The fish have either understood what you are up to or then just decided to move away. This move away is more applicable where the water is shallow and the fish can not find safe hiding places like in the depths. They may also seek safe hiding places amongst the boulders or the cuttings in the mountain side. So either you wait half a day or more for the action to restart or then you move along with the fish downstream.

The float tube is a beautiful device to enable you to follow fish as also explore the sides of the mountain/hill where you just can’t reach. You have to plan it all – how will you land the fish-how will you Anchor them to the float tube - how will you stop a joy ride which is what you get when you are on to a big one -and in all this fun and adventure will you be able to paddle upstream or then be wise to carry a pair of Nike sandals floating beside you(you can see them below the landing net-in the pics) to somehow get out either when the cramps come in or when the water begins to move too fast either due to narrowing or due to rain above.

Do a dry run sitting in the float tube in your living room on something like a peg table, and make all the attachments you will need and put them in appropriate pockets.Other than your self anchor everything to the float tube. The last addition I made was an anchor and a rope to anchor the float tube to the bottom /or with some tree or bush on the side in swift flowing water. It is better to be in pairs for safety – n - that’s also the psyche of the fish –safety in numbers.

On this last trip I was reminded of the old movie “Blow Hot Blow Cold” Waist down or say half belly down you are cold and above the sun sozzles you. However you remain cool overall. Beer before and after makes the going even better.

The float tube straps on to the back and is easily carried. To avoid cramps -do up you leg muscles on a cycle – which should have a fix wheel and your practice is paddling backwards with half brake applied.

You will get all the hits possible when fishing in where no one has been. You will find a lot of snakes where humans do not go – they watch you-but are harmless .It was a great Day !
Pics below show the river/stream –the float tube

Tight Lines - I had some of the best fun -pray the same for you
Hamdhingra

http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... allju1.jpg
http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... allmr5.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:27 am 
Site Admin

It's a good idea but unfortunately will not work down south due to the number of crocodiles in our waters :-)

IA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:55 pm 
Fishaholic

"will not work down south due to the number of crocodiles in our waters"

I was directly above Mr Croc in a coracle a couple of years ago when he decided that he'd rather be somewhere else. I was never in any real danger but a lot of water was displaced when he decided to skidadle. I don't think I'd have fancied tickleing him with my feet from a float tube.
I seem to remember Bops assuring me that they don't eat people though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, they don't eat people swimming in the water but I wouldn't try dangling just a hand or leg in the water!

IA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Hamdhingra wrote:
It’s a common phenomena that the first few casts will get you fish and thereafter all action ceases. The fish have either understood what you are up to or then just decided to move away. This move away is more applicable where the water is shallow and the fish can not find safe hiding places like in the depths. They may also seek safe hiding places amongst the boulders or the cuttings in the mountain side. So either you wait half a day or more for the action to restart or then you move along with the fish downstream.

Good idea Ham and as you fish in Himanchal, you will be knowing that it is a modified version of our truck tubes.

As for as fish disappering after few cast, the basic mistake we all do when casting is that we tend to cast as far as possible in our first cast. The best way, and freddi weill ditto me on this, is to start combing the waterbody you want to fish from insid to out. First make short cast, standing away from the edje and go on increasing the distance. This is the best way so as not to spook fishes.

Regards,

Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Youre right on Alibhai .. Ive caught a lot of my fish standing back at first and just flipping the lure out . Fish tend to stay close to the rocks through the night and ive had fish actually take at Bandstand and Madh , Bhatti wadi and Erangal 3 - 5 feet from the edge of the rock ... Inside out is the right way to go ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Completely Agree with the inside out method. Start with short cast and then thrash the water increasing the distance with every cast.

Here are a couple of other things I have noticed. The first is to walk down stream and not upstream. Most fish face the flow and if you walking upstream means you walk past them causing them to scatter and disturb other fish. The second is make sure your shadow does not reach the water before you do. This at times means casting from a few feet away from the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:13 pm 
Fishaholic

agree with you about the short casts first.I start when I am still a good 15m away from the water.The latest is that I put up a camo net when I am going to stay put in one place. Five to seven short casts and 5-7 long ones and then rest the water.Many times I have found fish coming in within a feet or two of the bank when one is behind the camo net .
Cheers
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:36 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Hamdhingra,

I admire your guts in using a float tube ,on a river. A pontoon boat/fishing kayak is a better tool for fishing a river, safety wise.

The float tube is actually meant for stillwater fishing. Do consider using waders (breathable for warm water, and neoprene for cold water).
You can wear moisture wicking thermals under breathable waders, to keep warm.

Another safety aspect is to use a PFD seat, which fastens to your float tube and also keeps you slightly higher (above water).

Thanks for your email on mahseer lures for northern India.

tight lines

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:55 am 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Yeah, they don't eat people swimming in the water but I wouldn't try dangling just a hand or leg in the water!

Yep, I emember some of the locals (not the doctor) swimming what we later dubed the "eat me" stroke and watching in a sort of horrified reverence as they slashed up and down in the water with all four limbs splashing wildly !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:07 pm 
Enlightened

Guru ji,

i think its safe only in placid Bhakhra, Pong and Ranjit Sagar. How about Uchhi Bassi? Now a days, the water is up and so are the new wire mesh crates.
And is worth buying? If yes, from where?

Regards and tight lines,

Harryxs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:37 am 
Fishaholic

Great Thread Guys.

Just going through the various comments made me realize why spinning wasn't that productive for me.

Thanx for the info guys :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:21 pm 
Fishaholic

Harry,
Hi, I am going to do this in Unchi Bassi - and you know the heavy flow there . Intend to anchor myself fron the left bank and float around the main flow and the backwaters. Besides the heavy amt of wire mesh we have some big monsters there (I would not be surprised if Goonj there was over 80-100 Kg's ) . My only fear is not of drowning or getting a severe ducking but of getting tandem hooked to the fish I play.Believe me - this plan of mine is gonna work and you will have some fine monsters which I will finally bring back to the left bank - conquered ,photographed and released.
Till now they had their way - lets get through to them
Cheers
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:31 pm 
Fishaholic

Harry America is the place to buy it.Front open is less safe than the round one.I have both.You can try them.Once you are in the water into one of them - you will never be happy fishing from the shore/bank - and by God if you have a beer or two in you and then get in - You"ll be in "Paradise"

Ofcourse I will put a life jacket around you which that day in all the excitement I forgot !

Cheers
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:39 pm 
Enlightened

Guru ji, i am game. Please let me know the date and time. Shall join you. By
the way, i have got my own PFD !!!!!

Regards,

Harryxs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:33 pm 
Fishaholic

Just an add on - I think it is foolish to use plugs when in a float tube - Tandem hooked is going to be a pain - so it has to be spinners/spoons.
Tight Lines...
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Harry, -hey - I am game the day U confirm the canal is bringing in clear water
Right now I am out to raid the Bias for Sol - busy collecting frogs
Tight Lines
Ham