->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:59 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Thambi from Haira
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:14 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

Some of us from this forum are hardcore Mahseer guys who have done a majority of their fishing on the Cauvery. At some point most of us have fished or will fish at Haira. It's a small but beautiful campsite about 2.8 kms upstream from the present Galibori camp. Opposite Haira lies the small Muniappa temple where Thambi Anna lives.
I've spent considerable time at Haira and have had the privilege of meeting people like Thambi, who make the whole 'experience' complete. Sadly we don't often come across people quite like him and he's excellent company at a campfire with his tales about the forest and his life.

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Lovely Fish!! I love the colour especially of the 1st one..curious, what happened to them? Released or you tried to find out how tasty they were? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:12 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby, If by the 1st, you mean the largest one, then it looks to me like a Murral, the rest are Carnatic Carp. Thats the way the man lives his life Bobby, i have seen him there for over 20 years. Some of the anglers paid to get his eyes fixed and new specs.
He used to catch chilwa for us with his torn up net, and we used to give him coffe / tea / sugar / rice etc for his trouble.
Gawd i want to go home ! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Don't let his size fool you, he can drink you under the table.
He starts out his day with a packet at 6 and at 7 and at 8 and so on when the goings good.

Imagine this guy sleeps under his coracle all alone (he left his family at Mettur) to live a life of solitude or so he says. He doesn't even have a coracle anymore.

The spot that he chooses to stay (the far bank opposite Hiara) is frequented by wild elephants. They have broken down almost everything man made in that place.

Thumbi claims that one night he woke up and saw this elephant standing over him, and it had a foot raised to crush him. He just sprawled himself infront of the elephant with his hands in the prayer position, and the elephant backed off. Could have been the packets talking, but then it makes for nice campfire stories.
:shock:
This was at the "Muniyappa Temple" site. MM can give you more on that.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:50 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen/rest,

By "first fish" I meant the one closest to the camera.

Some years ago I read about this fish and wanted to see what one lookied like, finally got to see one, its a beauty.

Does anyone have any better pictures of this fish?

From what I gather, Thambi is something of a living legend among you anglers. Wish I could meet him, just to hear some of this campside stories. What language does he speak?

Post subject: The od man and the river
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

Haira can be a magical spot. Some of my most amazing times spent on the river have been here. Otters swim by sometimes, bobbing up and down, and I think they live somewhere in the banks on the right at Haira when you face the river that is.

Sitting under the trees here mug of hot tea in hand or better I would watch Thambi on the other side. He'd potter about or just sit there by the river. Given that on different occasisions there have been elephants, wild boar and other wildlife practically in the camp including one time when Ravi and wife had to run into the river becasue of the elephants, or pratap and myself practically walked into the herd on the other side while spinning... Iam sure Thambi has a few amazing stories to tell.

I "heard" that the STF would pick him up as well given that he knew Veerapan and his gang, who frequented these areas.

I wonder what his story is...why did he leave his family, what trauma or experience made him leave everything behind to live by the river.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:27 am 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
Lovely Fish!! I love the colour especially of the 1st one..curious, what happened to them? Released or you tried to find out how tasty they were? :lol:

I think Thambi shared in the carnatics that time.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:01 am 
Fishaholic

Hi Bobby,
Thambi is a Tamilian from the Mettur Dam area, which is downstream from where we fish the Kaveri, so he speaks Tamil, and also Kannada.

Regarding the Carnatic Carp in his hand, like with all fish they change colour rapidly after being taken out of water and turn a lot darker.

If you had seen an earlier post where Rustam had asked about what type of fish it was that he was holding, and i had identified it as a carnatic carp. Well as you can see from that picture which was taken in bright sunlight, that the fish is green on the top with gold on the side, running to silver at the bottom.

The colour variation in this photograph compared to Rustams fish is quite drastic, probably due to the difference in light conditions, and considering that Rustams fish looked like it had just been taken out of the water, while Thambi's were probably net caught and very dead. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:04 am 
Fishaholic

By the way guy's, i last saw Thambi in Galibori camp, i think he has been allowed to live there now.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:37 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Guys,

The fish Thambi's holding are Carnatic carp and a murral. All caught for the pot, the carnatic became cutlets and the murral 'fry' 8) We'd just reached camp, set up our tents and brought Thambi across. We decided to spin on the way back with Thambi rowing the coracle for us.
It's always helpful having him in camp. He takes over the ragi and blesses it before its used, finishes off the left overs and generally keeps us all entertained. I remember one night I had fallen asleep on a mat beside the fire with Thambi closeby who had curled up under the coracle. I was awoken by his deep voice 'shooing'away something and talking to himself as he fed the fire. In the morning he said we'd been visited by a sloth bear that night. No idea if it really happened, but that's Thambi!

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
Hi Bobby,
like with all fish they change colour rapidly after being taken out of water and turn a lot darker.

I dont' know if any of you have caught a Dorado (Saltwater) also called Dolphin / Mahi Mahi. In maharastra, they call this fish "Rajesh Khanna" I believe may be relating to its profile. This fish is a beautiful bright yelow to olive green with splashes of irridescent blue spots on it. (let me see if I can find an image)

Like most pelagics, they die pretty quickly after you land them and once dead, it's colour changes very fast to a very dull slate grey:

The thing is if you cut a piece of the Dorado while it has not lost its colour, the piece you cut off will retain it colour even after the rest (entire) fish dies and turns grey.

Even cobia they are a striking white/black when just landed but quickly turn brown after dead.
Interesting Huh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice pic and an even better post, Marlin.

Thambi Anna deserves a post to himself. I have seen him from the opposite bank and heard about him but have yet to meet him.

It's good to hear he is now permitted to stay at Galibore camp because I was told he had nothing to his name. Wonder how he will cope with the tourist tamasha after staying alone for so many years.

Rustam

P.S.: Doesn't Thambi and Anna mean the same thing, viz. brother?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Rustam,

The last time I'd spoken with Basavaraj he told me they'd caught some poachers from the village(Mangla) acorss Haira from where Thambi used to get provisions, help etc. The villagers suspected Thambi informed the guards about the poachers as they'd spent the previous night at the temple and chased Thambi out of the village. Sundar allowed Thambi to stay at the camp as he had nowhere else to go.

His name always got me.... Thambi = younger brother and Anna = elder brother in Tamil :lol:

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:24 pm 
Fishaholic

Good on Sundar.

Rustam

Last edited by Rustam Bana on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm i wonder if i should start a thread on another character called Munswamy. He has been my cook whenever i camp on the Kaveri. He and Thambi make a right old pair. They used to swig up the booze and keep topping up the bottle with water.
We didn't catch on for a while! :evil:
But when we did, Thambi was banished to his bank and Muniswamy to his village. Both came back the very next day with worms and chilwa as a peace offering. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:48 pm 

Hi Owen,

Did you ever hear the story about Munswamy and the donkey???
:lol: :lol: :lol:

CC

PS - Am laughing too hard to type it out now. Also, Bops may not like it on the Forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:52 pm 
Fishaholic

CC,

Plez go ahead.. Am sure Bops is a real nice guy and wouldnt mind.. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

Hey CC,

I was thinking abt the same story before you posted but considering all the nice things ppl have had to say abt Tambi, this story would be going against the grain. However you could make the story as subtle as possible :lol:

Bops

Last edited by IndianAngler on Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Come on guys...you are like women flashing and leaving...

LET IT OUT :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:35 pm 
Fishaholic

I know the tale and think it will fit in very well. :mrgreen: No need to be subtle. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
LET IT OUT

Blimey, Bobby has a crystal ball!!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:31 am 

when there's adonkey involved, it would be safe to ask, whether bestiality is involved?? :twisted: :wink:
A fishy ass tale?(tongue firmly in cheek)
best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:33 pm 
Fishaholic

OK MM, the coast is clear !
Pray do tell all!
Let us hear this one so that i can decide whether Muniswamy stays on as cook or not, and whether he deserves a thread of his own or not.
He keeps telling some of my friends like Paul to come to his village and he will find him a nice 14 year old wife etc, to which Paul sticks out his chest even further than usual, but has chickened out whenever we mention going to Mumiswamys village. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Owen Bosen wrote:
OK MM, the coast is clear !
Pray do tell all!
Let us hear this one so that i can decide whether Muniswamy stays on as cook or not, and whether he deserves a thread of his own or not.
He keeps telling some of my friends like Paul to come to his village and he will find him a nice 14 year old wife etc, to which Paul sticks out his chest even further than usual, but has chickened out whenever we mention going to Mumiswamys village. :roll:

Hey Owen,
Its Cauvery Cowboy who has the dodgy story this time. A 14 year old wife did you say :shock:
Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Well since its story time on the IA forum..... does anyone know why Thambi has only 4 toes on one foot? :lol:
For those who don't know the answer to this one, its time to head down to the river, meet the man themselves and return with the answer.
It's a very interesting story he once told me after a couple of packets (arrack) which I'll never forget and won't tell 8) 8) 8)

Mighty M.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:02 am 
Fishaholic

MM, this is unfair, for a guy stuck in another country, he has to rely on his buddies there to relate the tale....I cannot take that walk so out with it mate :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:09 pm 
Fishaholic

First the ass tale :twisted: then we go and talk about the bride for Paul :twisted: and then we count Thambi's toes ... :shock:

So would someone please start off with the story telling or do I need to beat it out of you... Believe me I will ! :evil:

Rustam - Am sending a .22 bore-gun.. Shoot the buggers if there is no story in 24 hours !! [smilie=thumbdown.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:19 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Gavin/Bobby/Rustam,

I'm waiting for that absconding Cauvery Cowboy! He started off this dodgy story telling bit.

Mighty M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Rustam - Am sending a .22 bore-gun.. Shoot the buggers if there is no story in 24 hours !! [smilie=thumbdown.gif]

Got the hardware. Send ammo. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:

Got the hardware. Send ammo. :wink:

My .275's ready and waiting Rustam :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Mighty Marlin wrote:
My .275's ready and waiting Rustam :twisted:

Is that the plastic version available at Saphires? :roll:

:mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:45 pm 
Fishaholic

I thought they were still selling M16's at Saphires!!

Looks like there's only one way to find out Ruatam :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:50 pm 
Fishaholic

Hang on, Marlin. Let me find you a barn door first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:51 pm 
Fishaholic

Guys dont lose the plot... Its CC we are after.. [smilie=shocked.gif]

[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:54 pm 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Guys dont lose the plot... Its CC we are after.. [smilie=shocked.gif]

[/code]

Guess the heat was too much for him..... looks like he's headed for the hills :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:59 pm 
Fishaholic

Or he is at the trap range as AP have their State Shooting Championships this coming weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:04 pm 
Fishaholic

CC is more endangered than the mahseer !!! At least we release the mahseer..
CC - 24 hours till execution :twisted: [smilie=headfuck.gif]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Errr...ummm....Gavin...he's a better shot than me....

Couldn't you get Owen to do the needful? I mean he is 50 and.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:23 pm 
Fishaholic

Rustam Bana wrote:
Errr...ummm....Gavin...he's a better shot than me....

Errr...ummm....Rustam...you're a bigger target than him....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:26 pm 
Fishaholic

Wat u saying, man :shock: My hopes, my dreams , MY STORY - all dashed [smilie=shock.gif]

MM - Take Rustam for a ride.. I want him sleeping with the fishes. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:34 pm 
Fishaholic

Hmmm....

Looks like it's time to go to the mattresses (not what you are thinking MM, you pervert! :mrgreen: )

Don Banaeone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Don't worry Gavin we'll get that story for you..... if I remember right Bops knows that story as well.....

Hey Bops, where are you? We need to get this story to Gavin and Bobby soon.

However you could make the story as subtle as possible

I don't think Gavin and Bobby are looking for that version of the story....... Bops will be here soon

[smilie=giggle.gif]
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Subtlety - Wats thats :shock:

I want the un-edited version :twisted:

Bobby - Your choice ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:19 am 
Site Admin

Hi folks,

CC is in a muddle since he can't decide between a Penn 6500 or a Daiwa Emcast or a Shimano Spheros, so if one of you can help him out i'm sure he'll be glad to tell the complete story..... you see I know only a lil bit [smilie=holyshit.gif]

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:54 am 
Fishaholic

Hey Bops, a reel is a reel and a story is a story :?
MM what's going on dude! 8) I am just as anxious to hear this one.
Do one thing, send me a PM and i will edit it and post it.
That way we can save our bullets and guns and CC will still have his head when he gets back. Put all the blame on me.
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:03 am 
Fishaholic

Gavin Ridge Cooke wrote:
Subtlety - Wats thats :shock:

I want the un-edited version :twisted:

Bobby - Your choice ?

Want the UN-EDITED version 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:06 am 
Fishaholic

IndianAngler wrote:
Hi folks,

CC is in a muddle since he can't decide between a Penn 6500 or a Daiwa Emcast or a Shimano Spheros, so if one of you can help him out i'm sure he'll be glad to tell the complete story..... you see I know only a lil bit [smilie=holyshit.gif]

Bops

Go for the M-Cast...

Point to Ponder...Where do you think the above reels are made?

Shimano - most likely Thailand or Malasya
Daiwa - Same as above or China
Penn - USA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:07 pm 
Fishaholic

Bobby wrote:
IndianAngler wrote:
Hi folks,

Bops

Go for the M-Cast...

Point to Ponder...Where do you think the above reels are made?

Shimano - most likely Thailand or Malasya
Daiwa - Same as above or China
Penn - USA

Come on Bobby..... Emcast over the Spheros? :roll:

The Spheros can always be tweaked :wink: Power knob handle, HT 100 drag, carbontex.....

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 2:42 pm 
Fishaholic

MM,

No offence, for me it’s not just about features...it's about situations, suitability, durability and what you are going to make the most of in the long run.

I have had bad experiences with Shimano more than once and that is why I do not want to advise anyone to go in for a Shimano especially when the reel is going to be in India, living in Hong Kong I have had problems with spares etc. So for me, this is a genuine valid problem

Great Experiences with Penn, albeit a few problems with the spinning reels, but they were always there to rectify it and always got spares and more.

Daiwa, never had a problem

I am actually going to get one of those Emcasts myself, I will check her out for the drag of course but I expect it to be smooth given my past experience with Daiwa. Besides I will bet that the Emcast will outcast both the Penn SS and the Spheros, making the difference when you need to reach a fish.

You also got the realize the way Japanese manufacturers market their wares, up to a certain point all reels will come built in with the same features, ant-backlash, twistbuster, anti wobble etc etc

Leave aside a problem with spares, purely in a fishing situation; tell me where do you see advantage the Spheros offers over the Emcast?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:58 pm 
Fishaholic

WHERE ARE THE STORIES ???????? :evil: