->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:18 am

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:52 pm 
Fishaholic

If you were unable to get an uptide rod from overseas, what type of spinning rod would you opt for?

Tube / travel length not to exceed 43". Should preferably be a two piece rod.

This is for use on the Cauvery rather than in North India.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:25 am 
Fishaholic

Rustam,

Actually, there quite a few options, if only you can relax that 43-in limit!

IMHO, for Cauvery mahseer, you should opt for a 9-footer, no less. You will cast the bait easier, fight the fish in less time (the rod's doing more of the work, not you or the reel).

Why the uptide is a hit with mahseer fishing is because of its relatively softer tip but strong butt. However, a 'medium action' rod with strong butt will do as well.

So, provided you're game for 45-in, here's a list of rods that my group has been using (all 2-piece bar one):

-Abu Hypercast 9ft: it's mor tip action, actually! about 3000-3500 Rp. Now less common

-Penn Powergraph 9 ft. rated for 20 to 30 lb line. approx. 2500 Rp

-Ugly Stick Tiger 9ft; The softest, but with stout butt. The butt guide's too big, so need to change to smaller one. Rp2500-3000

-Ofmer Telescopic (what??) 9 ft; Rp1000. George has landed fish up to 30-lb, in the rapids too, no problem. The butt section's monstrous. but like all telescopics, you need to be extra careful with loose joints...

-The are many cheaper models from the China/Taiwan/Thailand companies that can serve duty as Cauvery mahseer rods; 9ft, 2-piece, ranging from Rp1000-2000, with decent ceramic guides.

If you want, I can scout around for you. If you cant settle on a model, just tell me your budget. I can buy it for you first, then deliver to you at Bangalore. No cost except for a pot of Bangalore's best masala tea for three Malaysian masala junkies!

Er, you still got that Languoile knife? Maybe you can consider a barter trade; I'm a knife collector too! :D

JB
><<:>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey JB,

Since you have more access to tackle than me...... what do you think of the Shimano T Curve Bluewater Spin Rods as a rod that can be used both for sea and for Mahseer?

The Bluewater Spin 10/15Kg, 7'6", 2 piece, cast weight 28 - 60grams
AND
The Bluewater Spin 15/24Kg, 7'6", 2 piece, cast weight 40 - 100grams

Regards,
Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Sorry JB, only just seen your post.

Many thanks for the suggestions. Vikram may bring down an uptide end of next September. If that does not materialise, then I may just take you up on your offer. Regardless of the outcome, you and your friends are welcome to all the masala tea you like. Bops is paying. :mrgreen:

I don't have a problem with a 45" take down length, it's just that I was hoping to keep it as short as possible for whoever brings it. In this case it was to be my parents since they refused to bring back a 6' rod tube from the U.K., however, after the recent scare there I am getting sweet bugger all from the U.K.. C'est la vie....

Rustam

P.S.: I'm afraid the Laguiole is no longer with me. Got a Kershaw Vapor II for it and a far more practical knife it is too. Next on the list is a Spyderco Manix or a Benchmade Rukus. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:50 am 
Fishaholic

MM,

Hmm...new to me! No worries, I'll email out the enquiries to freinds over here, will get back to you.

Rustam,

OK, will wait for your smoke signal. Now that Bops is sponsoring the masala tea, we'll definitely be in Bangalore by16Dec06 :D

I collect mainly traditional knives, but have a few of the Spydercos too. I wont part with my Native folding and Bill Moran Drop Point fixed blade! Those VG10 blades could circumcise a gnat! In fact the Moran follows me without fail on boating/coracle trips. The quick-release sheath makes it super handy in times of emergency.

I have this fear of falling into the drink and snagged to some rope or something. So, two essentials for me: the Sospender life jacket and the Moran!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:08 am 
Fishaholic

Hi JB,

Lady Luck smiled my way (wish she would do it more often) and I got an uptide rod day before yesterday.

I have had my eyes on the Bill Moran drop point Spydie but want to get a Manix first. Are Spydies available in Malaysia? If so, are there any urls or shop details you could give me? Particularly interested in the price of a Manix C95 Plain Edge.

What is the blade thickness on that Moran? There are a few fixed blade Fallknivens that have been calling out to me as well. :mrgreen: The Idun in particular.

Only have one blade in VG10 and that's the Hattori 2004 limited edtion. Can't really comment on it as it's a bit of a drawer queen. :roll:

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:26 am 
Site Admin

Hi Rusty,

Funny you mentioned a falkniven, an F1 is next in my shopping list :D

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Good knife by all accounts but if you are getting a Falkie you better learn how to maintain a convex edge.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:03 pm 
Fishaholic

My StCroix tidemaster is rated to cast upto 2oz (56g) and handled fish to just over 27lbs on my last visit to the Cauvery.
To be honest though, it was a little undergunned at times and ideally, I'd have had something with a bit more power.

A rod casting perhaps 100g would give you an extra safety margin and if it's a specifically designed spinning rod, it should be a lot lighter than an uptider.

There are lots on the market but I've recently bought a Grey's rod and found it very nice and good value for money. Have a look at the heaviest of the "Greys Grx Spin" rods here http://www.harrissportsmail.com I suspect that a 3 piece would also be less of a headache to carry.

Last edited by Ken L on Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:32 pm 
Fishaholic

Ken L wrote:
There are lots on the market but I've recently bought a Grey's rod and found it very nice and good value for money. Have a look at the heaviest of the rods here http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models. ... elID=13813.

Hi Ken,

The link doesn't show the rod in question.

Quote:
I suspect hat a 3 piece would also be less of a headache to carry.

No question about that. I will have to add a roof carrier to my car (Maruti 800) or go with someone who has a long chassis jeep.

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for pointing that out Rustam. As I can't get a link to the specific product to work, I've provided a bit more information about the rod and kept a basic link to the site because they have them on special offer at the moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:01 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks, Ken. Think it's working now.

http://www.harrissportsmail.com/Models. ... elID=13813

I am tempted by that 9' 3-piece rod.... :roll:

Rustam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:44 pm 
Fishaholic

MM,

Sorry, no luck with those Shimano rods; they're not in Malaysia!

Frankly, for the big Cauvery mahseer, a 9 - 10 ft rod with parabolic to medium action but with strong butt will do, brands aside.

Case in point; Pure Fishing gave me a nice rod (the Berkley Series One, 9ft with trigger grip). It was a joy to play with, but with limitations: I couldn't cast those fist-sized ragi balls, and distance was of course affected. The butt section couldn't handle it. So I reduced the ragi bait, and cast at nearer swims.

Then I hooked a 70-lb golden mahseer (at that straight run below Balumudhu rapids). The rod tip spent most of the next 30 minutes underwater! Luckily for me, the giant was hooked at dusk, so she probably didn't know where to go. Landed it after half an hour of huffing and puffing.

Verdict: that Series One rod is perfect for the smaller mahseer, but if you are expecting the goliaths, think BIG butts!

Also, be careful with rods of three-piece or more. They are more portable of course (there's a good reason why they are called 'smuggler rods'!), but many lack the power for casting or fighting big fish. Some exceptions to the rule can be found, but they usually cost an arm plus a few Spydercos...

RB,

Talking of Spydercos, the stuff found in Malaysia are mostly imported by individuals, from the US. Cost more of course. I got my Moran for about Rp2500 and Delica for Rp1800, through some shady dealings of course. Now they cost much more

The Moran is flat edge, sturdy but not too thick at the spine. The handle has this sticky rubber stuff that ensures superb grip. Been using it for two years now, have not had the need to sharpen it! But the killer part is the multi-positional quick release sheath. You can use it at your belt, vertical or horizontal (my favourite position) or as a neck knife. In an emergency, the knife's in your hand before he can say "Oh, S%$t!".

If you are hamfisted like me, I suggest you also get the Tri-Angle ceramic sharpener by Spyderco. Comes with simple instruction guide, to achieve that professional-level sharpening of your work knives. Those drawer queens don't matter!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:39 pm 
Fishaholic

JB,

I am probably even more hamfisted than you as I have been using the Lansky kit for the past 11 years.

Rustam

Post subject: sharp knives
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:02 am 

Apologies for resurrecting an old topic which appeared to have run its course, but when I read this thread carefully a piece of advice came to mind which was passed on to me many years ago by an elderly Alution Indian whilst on a fishing trip in Alaska.

He swore by his knife sharpener. They're made by a US company, details at http://www.accusharp.com.

I bought one just before Christmas for the equivalent of US$20 - they have outlets in the UK, not sure about India, but they're good bits of kit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:13 pm 

At least two four-piece travel uptiders are now available.

One is made by Fladden - don't know much about it, but a Google search might yield something.

The other is the new (for 2007) ABU Garcia Conolon 4-piece 3-metre travel uptider/boat rod. Comes in a tube just a fraction over 32" long.

Just bought a pair for our trip to the Cauvery in a fortnight. They seem OK, but need testing!!

Will tell you how they cope when we get back from the trip in mid-April (we are going up into Assam - mainly to look at the birdlife - after the Cauvery )

Has anyone any information about fishing the Upper Brahmaputra? Permits, availability, accessibility etc as well as what to fish for. Many thanks if you can respond.

If I can get a bit of fishing in amongst the bird-watching in Assam I will be more than pleased.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Shoot Apoo a PM he should be able to help out.

Bops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:55 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vegabond,

The best place to go for bird watching is Jatinga in Karbi Along District of Assam. But if you want an angling and bird watching combo you will have to visit Nameri Reserve Forest. I am leaving for Nameri tomorrow and will post the pics after I return. I have already posted a few pics about Nameri but I was not allowed to fish as I did not have the permit. Now I am supposed to get the permit by tomorrow and lets hope for the best. It takes some time to get the permit in Nameri.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:43 am 

Thanks aloo - will bear that in mind for future visits

Our Assam itinerary is already fixed and bird watching permits obtained - we had to get special permits for some places.

(Route is Dibrugarh -Namdapha NP - Haldibari - Deban - Dibru NP - Kaziranga NP - Shillong - Guwahati)

I had hoped to pick up a local fishing permit somewhere, but it sounds as if by the time it takes to obtain one we will have moved on.

Looks like I will have to concentrate on the Cauvery that first week.

We shall be at St Marks Hotel in Bangalore next Tuesday 13th around midday, and again on the evening of the Wednesday 21st. So if anyone wants to join me for a drink and chat , send me a pm but soon - we fly Monday morning

Anyone clutching a copy of Freshwater Fishes of India will be doubly welcome !

Looking forward to the trip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:44 am 

Sorry, seem to have double posted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:10 pm 

HI vagabond,
We're trying to get a copy of the fresh water fish by Daniels, to you by 13th at bangalore-stay in touch with Owen, I have asked for the book to be sent by courier to him.
Best
Axx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:39 pm 

Thanks eljefe and Owen. Have sent you pms

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:56 pm 
Fishaholic

Vagabond wrote:
Thanks aloo - will bear that in mind for future visits

Hi VB,
aloo means potato in Hindi.
I remember there being a right old ruckus on the cricket field somewhere in Canada when one of the spectators called Inzimam (the present capitan of the Pakisthan cricket team) an "Aloo".
Inzy climbed into the stands with a cricket bat.
Hope apoo won't be coming after you with a fishing rod :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:24 pm 
Fishaholic

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi VB,

Though I have not been to Namdhapa NP and the Dibru NP, I have heard that Dibru NP is having some problems with the extremists out there. I think there is an army operation going there. The latest problems are from that part of Assam now. Please enquire as much as possible before you enter that park. I will also try to gather as much information as possible and let you know.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Owen,

Landing mats. Bank sticks?

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:21 am 

Oh my goodness! - My apologies Apoo...
'p' is just above 'l' on the keyboard but I should have checked my post more carefully.

Have given the keyboard a good telling-off on your behalf.

Yes, we heard about the troubles around Dibru - will take advice from the local guide when we get to Tinsukia as to whether we should change the itinerary.

Thanks for the warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi V,
I had also enquired about the Dibru NP. Same replies. One of my uncle's friend is there. Let me check it out . I will let you know about the whole scene.

No probs for the spelling mistake.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:25 am 
Fishaholic

hey i use a shimano 12' telescopic surf rod....but are telescopics really any good for medium sized masheer...with always the possibility of something big taking the bait..?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:16 pm 

apoo wrote:
I have heard that Dibru NP is having some problems with the extremists out there. I think there is an army operation going there. Apoo

Now back from Assam. There were plenty of armed soldiers on the roads, particularly in the Dibru area and on the Assam/Arunchal Pradesh border.

Everyone we met, including the soldiers, was very friendly. We enjoyed trekking the NPs and the local food. The bird life was fantastic.

Must return for some fishing in the near future!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:25 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Vegabond,

Nice to know that you had visited Assam and went back safely. You could have sent me a pm regarding your trip. Who was your travel guide during the trip? Was it from any travel agency from Assam? Please let me know so that I can make a trip with them in the future.

How was the trip? What is your feelings towards Assamese people? Pictures mate, pictures. Even I have not gone to those areas.

Cheers,
Apoo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Picturs mate pictures --- this bong sounds like me --- way to go apoo --- one picture speaks a thousand words :? :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:55 am 

apoo wrote:
Pictures mate, pictures.
Apoo

Alas, no pictures - decided to leave the camera gear in store and travel light, as we were trekking and camping, just took my binoculars.

The trip was wholly for bird watching, and I only ever use the camera for fishing photos. As there was no chance of fishing, left the tackle in store also.

Will try to look out the name of the outfit we travelled with - my wife did the bookings, but may have thrown the paperwork out now we have returned. Will ask her in the morning, as she is sound asleep just now (11.30 pm here in the UK)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:57 am 
Fishaholic

apoo wrote:
Hi Vegabond,

Nice to know that you had visited Assam and went back safely. You could have sent me a pm regarding your trip. Who was your travel guide during the trip? Was it from any travel agency from Assam? Please let me know so that I can make a trip with them in the future.

How was the trip? What is your feelings towards Assamese people? Pictures mate, pictures. Even I have not gone to those areas.

Cheers,
Apoo

HI apoo,

I have been to Assam a number of times while working with Schmumberger. I was a drilling specialist & often worked alone or with just 1 more companion. this gave me ample time to explore & go sightseeing. I cant really remember my drivers name, but I'll try & get that for you. I used to hire a tata sumo @ Rs.800 for 24hrs & the driver knew the inns & outs or assam. I spent a lot of time in Lakhwa, suffri, dibrugad (visited Guwahati, but not for long).

The people in Assam are very friendly & since they have @ 31 militant outfits there, almost every person belongs to some group, so dont mess with anyone. Another thing .....their favourite drink, 'RED TEA'. If ever anyone offers you tea, please do not refuse. They see it as an insult. Dont mix around too much, but just be friendly. Dont flaunt any valuables. I'll let you know once I get the drivers name & where to find him.

have fun & have a safe trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:05 pm 

apoo wrote:

Who was your travel guide during the trip? Was it from any travel agency from Assam? Please let me know so that I can make a trip with them in the future.

The outfit we travelled with was:-
Adventure Gurudongma,
77 Netaji Subhash Road,1st Floor,
Kolkata 700001

Telephone (from UK) 91-33-22431063

They looked after us well. The "Boss-man" was called 'Neil' from Calcutta. His father used to be a racing driver - raced MG TCs. Neil had a few stories to tell about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:12 pm 

Keyur wrote:
The people in Assam are very friendly & since they have @ 31 militant outfits there, almost every person belongs to some group, so dont mess with anyone. Another thing .....their favourite drink, 'RED TEA'. If ever anyone offers you tea, please do not refuse. They see it as an insult. Dont mix around too much, but just be friendly. Dont flaunt any valuables.

Yes, excellent advice - shake hands, smile, drink whatever tea you are offered.
We did all of those things.

Some of the tea tasted very strange to someone used to the UK style. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:40 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Keyur,

I have seen the blue slumberger trucks when they return from work or go to work. The drivers used to park their trucks in our petrol pump and stay for the night in our hotel. The drivers place is almost like a cocpit. The drivers bunk bed is cosier than the beds in our hotel.

Cheers,
Apoo