->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:57 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Galibore Fishing
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:47 pm 

Anyone know what the fishing has been like in the last 2 weeks at Galibore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:17 am 

No, but will be at Bheemeshwari wednesday for a week, will let you know after.
Still intrigued by your cryptic "project manager & pollocks" note?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:34 pm 
Enlightened

From what i hear from friends out there it is fishing fairly slow, certainly for big fish, and water levels are far lower than normal at this time of the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:11 am 

I was on the first DP Trip, my first visit to the Cauvery, I had a 20 and a 36 so was obviously well pleased with that. The best fish caught was a 56 to Colin, total of 23 fish over 20lb plus loads of small fish which Dave insists on logging. The second trip had similar tally of 20 over 20lb but there was a monster of 88lb caught. As you have probably seen there has been a 103 and a 96 caught in Dec. WASI anglers had some big fish to 70+ as well I believe. Loads of small Mahseer in the river easy to catch them. In the deep water around croc rocks all Deccan but Bola must have had 15 smalll golds fishing for chilwa with us up at Kengal so they are there just in the fast water. Hard fishing but plenty of fish to come on in future years. I loved it and will be back in spite of the hard work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:06 pm 
Enlightened

Well done on your fish, anything over 20 lb is a nice result.
It seems to have fished very well in general this year with some good fish caught early in the season as well.
Like you say, plenty of fish coming through as well so hopefully things are good for the future - unless of course plans to build the dam ever go ahead.
Had the same problem trying to catch chilwa, nearly everything we got in some spots was a small mahseer.
Expect you'll be going back for years, it gets you like that. I'm out there for a month next December and can't wait - might have to squeeze a few weeks in up in the north between now and then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:32 am 

Saw your piece in the AM, you had a good result. It ain't easy fishing though is it.
The main problem we found was a combination of the tilapia biting away at the ragi and the small mahseer taking chunks so in some swims it was gone in 10 mins.
I prefered fishing lives for that reason but the guides never let me put a big one on. I have other ideas for next year. and I'll be catching my own chilwa so they cant bag the biggger ones for eating. But the crabs seem to do well at the right time.Fantastic place can't wait to get back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:05 pm 
Enlightened

Definitely requires plenty of hard work most of the time, even when the fishing is good they still don't give themselves up easily.
I'm back out there for a month in December. Didn't really have any problems with small fish attacking the ragi when i was there, but we were getting them to loosefeed large amounts of it and I'm sure this helped - small catfish can be a real nuisance sometimes.
Crab is a great bait and bites seem to be fairly instant, but it can be difficult getting enough of them.

Post subject: Re: Galibore Fishing
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:04 pm 
Enlightened

[quote="mudslide"]Anyone know what the fishing has been like in the last 2 weeks at Galibore?[/quote]

hi mudslide , spoke to dave a few times since he got back said the fishing at galibore got better since we left , best fish 88 lb lots over 40 lb a couple of 60 s a few 50 s . the water level came up to levels it used to be 6 years plus ago . he said at least 8 huge fish lost , 5 at kengal he was 2 which would have gone 80 lb + . after we left nobody tryed with lures , we should have gone down for another couple of weeks !!! lets hope next year the river will get better and better . and maybe the return off a few more big fish again . spoke to goeff he wants to come again maybe he can repeat the 107lb caught in 2002 at misore mula ??? that was a great 2 weeks 2 fish over 100lb , best 118 lb and 12 more over 50 . do you have a spare copy of the video geof made .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:52 pm 
Enlightened

Sounds like the fishing has really picked up then and it is great to see so many big fish coming out again.
I fish up at Bheemeshwari and go a bit earlier inthe season, but that fished the best that it has done for quite a few years - it had got that bad that the camp had even 'lost' the books logging all the catches!

Donkey,
That must have been an amazing couple of weeks fishing, would love to even see a fish of that size on the bank and can only dream of one day catching one.
Roll on December, until then I'll have to be content with a couple of weeks in Thailand and maybe a trip to the Himalayas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:09 pm 
Enlightened

[quote="Gary Newman"]Sounds like the fishing has really picked up then and it is great to see so many big fish coming out again.
I fish up at Bheemeshwari and go a bit earlier inthe season, but that fished the best that it has done for quite a few years - it had got that bad that the camp had even 'lost' the books logging all the catches!

Donkey,
That must have been an amazing couple of weeks fishing, would love to even see a fish of that size on the bank and can only dream of one day catching one.
Roll on December, until then I'll have to be content with a couple of weeks in Thailand and maybe a trip to the Himalayas.[quote]gary have you fished gailbore before i have been fishing there 12 years now very year / i no a lot of people who tryed bheemeshwari and not done well . i have caught and seen caught many fish over 80lb over the years it always does fish better than bbeeh [/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:37 am 
Fishaholic

hey !! can any of u old hands tell me wat to expect around mid april at galibore?
((exams should be over by then and im dying to wet a line))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:30 pm 
Fishaholic

Aaron wrote:
hey !! can any of u old hands tell me wat to expect around mid april at galibore?

Sunstroke.

Far from being an old hand though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:34 pm 
Fishaholic

pretty much figured that!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:21 pm 
Enlightened

Donkey,
Have yet to fish Galibore, whenever I've been out there in December the water level has been a bit high still. Would love to go January /February time but won't pay the sort of prices to go on an organised trip and prefer to meet anglers from other countries rather than spending the whole time with other English anglers.
I love the Cauvery for the chance of a big fish, but enjoy myself just as much when i go to the Himalayas even though the fish are generally much smaller.

Last year we baited heavily at Bheemeshwari whilst we were there and it fished much better than normal and i had fish up to 52 lb. There was one around 70 caught as well by a Malaysian (Shah) whilst i was there.
All these smaller fish - loads up to 20 lb - coming through are a real good sign for the future of the river.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:13 pm 
Fishaholic

ummm....
still my question remains unanswered..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:44 pm 
Enlightened

Aaron,
Haven't fished the Cauvery that late in the year. Imagine it will be pretty low by then and hot, but they must go somewhere so probably just a case of finding where they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:40 am 
Site Admin

I have fished Galiborai in April before. The rapid just below Haira and crocodile rock are your best bets that time of the year. The pool (beach) in front of galiborai camp should fish well at night.

IA

Post subject: Galibore Fishing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:09 am 

Hi Donkey and other mahseer anglers,

Yes, Galibore is the place to fish - I don't know why people bother with the other beats, such as Bheemeshwari. It seems crazy going all that way to fish a sub standard beat, even going business class. Dave Plummer has a good thing going down at Galibore, although some years have been boring fishing down at Crocodile Rocks trying to get through the catfish, I've only had a 60lb+ fish and a 48.5lb down there, all the others have been small ones around 30lb. The guides are excellent aren't they. Okay, the beer is not fantastic - this year I took 12 bottles of champagne and some tins of fois gras down to the camp so all was well.

This year I found lots of small fish, which bodes well for the future - I think my biggest this was only about 40lb.

Donkey, it appears you lure fish. Have you explored using surfaced poppers for mahseer? I wonder whether they would work in some circumstances.

All the best.

Mudslide

Donkey wrote:
Gary Newman wrote:
Sounds like the fishing has really picked up then and it is great to see so many big fish coming out again.

Donkey,
Roll on December, until then I'll have to be content with a couple of weeks in Thailand and maybe a trip to the Himalayas.
Quote:
gary have you fished gailbore before i have been fishing there 12 years now very year / i no a lot of people who tryed bheemeshwari and not done well . i have caught and seen caught many fish over 80lb over the years it always does fish better than bbeeh

Post subject: Re: Galibore Fishing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:02 am 
Fishaholic

mudslide wrote:

Yes, Galibore is the place to fish - I don't know why people bother with the other beats, such as Bheemeshwari.

this year I took 12 bottles of champagne and some tins of fois gras down to the camp so all was well.

The fish at Bheemeshwari really like Foie Gras, perhaps thats what was missing on your trip there. Next time make sure you prebait with some Beluga Caviar and Champaigne mix. Then bait your hook with the pate... Will surely work wonders :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:28 am 
Enlightened

Mudslide,
I fish Bheemeshwari because i like the place and also enjoy meeting anglers from other countries, rather than being stuck with a group of English anglers for the whole of my trip. Have made some good friends during my trips out there, especially some of the Indians that I've met and now stay in contact with.
Also, are you suggesting that the fish just stay at Galibore then and don't move up and down the river to the other stretches? Dodda Makali (sorry if I've spelt that wrong) the upstream camp used to do a lot of the big fish in the past. I'm still sure that big fish move through Bheemeshwari but it is more of a challenge as it is a big river early in the season when water levels are high and there are plenty of channels for them to move through.
I just enjoy catching mahseer and certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at 30s and 40s, and a 60 lb-plus mahseer is a monster. Size isn't everything, i get just as much enjoyment fishing up in the truly wild rivers of the Himalayas on lures, and on some of my trips the fish have barely broken into double-figures, but still great fun and a bit more of an adventure.

If you don't like the beer at Galibore just take your own fridge full of it like my mate Joe does! Although got to agree that a few glasses of champagne in the evening looking out across the river is a great way to celebrate a big mahseer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:38 pm 
Fishaholic

Hello,

Fished at Galibore for a day ( April 2 /3 ) without luck. For most serious anglers the season is over, but "joy fishing" for the sub 10 lbs fish is still on.

It has been raining and the water is not as clear as it should be. Will be there again on the weekend of April 19 /20 and will post thereafter.

Wildlife sightings have certainly improved. Gaurs have beed sighted.

Sandeep

Post subject: gailbore
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:21 pm 
Enlightened

any body been fishing gailbore yet hows the water levels any body no ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:14 am 

River was high, but not badly discoloured. We fished only our light rods on camp-beach for the small carps and catfish, catching these and small mahseer to maybe 5lbs. We were not even thinking about big mahseer as we guessed that there would not be any there this time of the year; the ghillies agreed I think. On the last day we hooked a much bigger fish that nearly spooled my abu 6500 (15lb line), and we ended up chasing in coracle 500 yards downstream before the fish made a 2nd run and got off due to a bent hook. The ghillies were all excited by this fish, and were talking about "running mahseer". Ghillie was Raju (the big guy there, brother of Bhasavaraj), and he said that the fish that got off was a big mahseer of "minimum 30lbs". Even if we are going to be fishing light rods, I'll never ever use weak hooks from thin wire ever again. I was gutted when I saw that the hook had failed, and I had all along in my tackle box UK catfish hooks in 1/0 that would have done better than the flimsy 1/0 hook that I was using. The rod was a 6 foot jerk-bait rod, and it at least coped fine with the fish, as did the abu reel, the line was fine so long as the fish kept clear of the rocks, and I am not being over optimistic in thinking that we might have had a chance of landing that fish if the hook was stronger.

Post subject: gailbore fishing
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:53 pm 
Enlightened

anybody else no what fishing water levels are like at gailbore ??? i will be there in jan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:37 pm 
Enlightened

Not heard anything about Galibore yet, but it is fishable at Bheemeshwari and apparently has done a few to mid-30s so far.
I would imagine that Galibore will be pretty similar to normal at that time of year, assuming you're going after they shut the dam (around Jan 12 i think it normally is). If it is fishable at Bheemeshwari at this time of year then it should be fine when you get to Galibore, assuming we don't have a load of rain in late December like we did last year - the river came up 3-4 foot in a couple of days when i was there!
I'm out there from December 6 until January 3, can't wait to get away from England and enjoy a bit of sun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:38 pm 
Enlightened

hope you have good trip i am of to panama , costarica and mexico on 2 december , popper fishing its so exciting come back on 8 jan then to gailbore on 27 jan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:41 pm 
Enlightened

Cheers, sounds like you should have some good fishing yourself, not going to Panama with Rich Foster by any chance are you, know he is out there around that time.
I'll post up what the state of the river is like when i get back and how it has fished so will give you some idea of what to expect when you are out there, although hard to tell with them shutting the dam.
Have been roach fishing here in the UK so will be a bit of a different fight when i hook a mahseer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:07 pm 
Enlightened

richard may be going i fish with him a lot over the years many times at gailbore

Post subject: Richarddd
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:28 pm 

Donkey wrote:
richard may be going i fish with him a lot over the years many times at gailbore

I hear that you met Costa Rican Carol with Richard - is that right? Anyone know how Galibore is fishing and what the water levels are like please?

Post subject: Galibori Fishing
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:26 pm 

Was at Galibori for three nights Dec 26th to 29th...and hence moved to Bhimeshwari for two nights 29th & 30th.

The fishing was indeed slow. Caught about 10 fish in the 3 to 10 pound range ...with the majority being in the 3 to 7 pound range. I had one 16 pounder at Crocodile Rock. Mostly all Silver mahseer.

On a few outings I came back to camp, without even a nibble...and the same was the case with my fellow anglers.

Javed landed a 55 pounder ...and that was the only large fish recorded during our stay.

Other anglers had some breakoffs, and dislodged hooks at Mukti Pool...from their accounts some of those could possibly fall into the 40 pound range.

All my chatches were on chilwa, with no action what so ever on Ragi...even crabs were given the royal ignore.

Same story mostly at Bhimeshwari, no bites what so ever on Ragi...untill I switched to chilwa and landed a 20 pounder at Dodda Marulu.

The wether ofcourse was fabulous...and conditions were good...the water was at the same level it was last year at this time..perhaps a foot higher.

As always it was a great holiday , and a lot of fun...but as usual I have not been able to figure out this fish....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:43 pm 
Enlightened

Any body been fishin kengal haria mossella etc what did the english group catch up at bemesswi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:06 pm 
Fishaholic

I was at Galibore for 2 nights on Jan 4th and 5th,2009. My best fish was between 10 to 12 lbs caught on chilwa at the camp pool.As I was on a light rod using 15 lbs line I really had a good time landing the fish. The others were under 5 lbs.
Fellow anglers did have better luck with fish between 15 and 25 during my stay. Several sessions went without a bite or just some nibbles.
The water level is low enough to sit on Centre Rock and fish in the rapids above Rainer beach. One angler from Chennai had a break on 35 lbs line while fishing at Mutki camp.
The water level is dropping and some experirnced anglers who were there opined that the fishing should improve.
I don't think any angler used spinners or plugs during the time I was there. Baits used were ragi, crab(if your Gillie managed to catch one) or chilwa.

Sandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:49 pm 
Enlightened

have you any pictures of water levels do you mean the rock in camp pool or the centre rocks at camp rapaids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:26 pm 
Fishaholic

I mean the center rock upstream of camp pool and the rapids.

Sorry I have no pictures.

Sandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:29 pm 
Enlightened

how much of the rocks can you see , do you need the coricle to get to them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:45 am 
Fishaholic

I believe the Centre Rock is atleast 2 feet above water as I did see one angler sitting on the rock and fishing. Yes you need a coracle to reach Centre Rock.

Sandeep

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:28 pm 
Enlightened

anybody been down at gailbore in last few days hows the fishing and levels ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:01 pm 

I was at Galibore and fishing was up and down.
I ended the week with a guessed weight fish of around 50lb, weighed fish of 44lb and 46lb, others guessed at 25lb, 20lb, 18lb, 18lb, 12lb and plenty of others smaller.
My first trip and a truly unbelievable experience!
The 44lb'er was hooked in Kengal rapids and chased down in the coricle, what an experience.
The level was dropping but sometimes would suddenly rise again. The camp rock is accessable and surrounded by waste-deep water. We left on 15th but felt the fishing was really starting to pick up with 3 x 40+ caught on the 14th and some very big fish lost on the 15th......... Good luck to anyone visiting.

Darren.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:29 pm 
Enlightened

thanks darren sounds you had a good week , did most of the fish caught come up stream ie kengal mossella etc , i go there at the end of jan but really only lure fish i hope the levels don t go to low , any really big fish caught while you were there , thanks again for info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:03 pm 

Hi Donkey,

Best fish was a 77lb'er from below Croc pool. The camp pool produced 3 fish over 40lb but two of mine were up around and below Kengal. I also lost a huge fish below the Gorge and another below the camp.......
So generally fish coming from all over! Only two fish I heard of were caught on lures; 12 & 18lb from up in the rapids.

I'm sure you will have a good week, I can't imagine having a bad week there..... :D

Darren.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:37 pm 
Enlightened

thanks very much for info , i have been fishing there or 11 years now and caught many big fish on ragi , crab , livebaits , but i really want to catch a real big one on a lure , having lost 3 huge huge fish in the past on lures and landed many to just over 40lb , where do you mean the gorge ? any more info would be pleased to hear , thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:53 pm 

Not very good at remembering the names of all the pools/spots! I call the gorge the narrow gulley after the pool below Kengal rapids.

Darren.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:06 pm 
Enlightened

thanks sounds like the fishing is better for many a year , hope it carrys on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:59 pm 
Fishaholic

I leave for the river on Jan.18th. Will report fishing conditions on my return.

Sandeep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:30 am 

Can't really go to Galibore this year due to work commitments, but some of my tackle is. The Donkey is borrowing some of my gear so suppose it's the next best thing. However, love reading the reports. Still, I'm interested in any news of fish caught at Galibore, water heights and any tasty women in the camp! Well, you can but hope!

Yours Ugly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:37 pm 
Enlightened

has anybody got the number for gailbore camp , hope so need it asap , left all my tackle there last year i need to no that is still there

Post subject: Good news
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:27 pm 

Good news to hear a few fish are coming out, off to galibore myself in 4 weeks for my first trip.

I have always wanted to catch a mahseer and hopefully will fulfill a lifetimes ambition.

with barbel being my favourite species a big Barbus Tor would be fantastic

Post subject: What date
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:13 pm 

Hi, What dates are you at the camp. I am there from 12-27/2 for the first time myself.

:-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:23 pm 
Enlightened

i am there 28 jan for 2 weeks , this will be my twelth time in a row

Post subject: looking forward to it
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:50 pm 

I am there from the 12th to the 27th also Pete It will be my first visit as i already posted, a good mate of mine also from norfolk will be with me, he went last year and had a great time, so good he is going again, my wife is going but not fishing hopefully she will be taking loads of photos of us with fish.

Donkey we will miss you by a day or so please leave some fish for us