->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:03 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:31 pm 

Hello all

Im on the camp on the Cauvery in February 2008, I need to know what your thoughts are re appropriate brands of Teminal tackle to use.

Ive heard of line to 40lb plus on a mulitplier to uptide rod.

But what sort of line , will the cheap sea fishing brands do or shall a go for the pre stretched expensive stuff !

same with hooks , what about the O'shaunessy pattern this is a very strong hook , for deep sea wreck fishing.

Is this sufficent ?

Do I need the OWNERS hooks

What about the sizes.

All you thoughts and help would be appreciated.

andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:09 pm 
Site Admin

These threads will give you a good idea about mahseer tackle.

http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.p ... eer+tackle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:23 am 
Fishaholic

Andy,

For line stick to 40lb mono.... its the standard for 'big fish'. You could go upto 50lb but its unnecessary. I've been spooled while using my Abu 7000 with 50lb.... had it been 40lb mono or even lighter, there's a good chance I'd have landed that fish.Guess you live and learn.

Use Berkley Big Game, Suffix or an equivalent. They're average lines.... No point spending all those $$$ coming to India and then skimping on line. Just not worth it.

I swear by the Owner cutting points. Size 8/0. On a 10 day trip at the VERY most you'll lose a dozen. If you aren't losing hooks at an alarming rate change them every day or if you get snagged (points are the first things that go). Gamaktsu Octopus Black is another decent hook in sizes 6/0, 7/0 and 8/0. For Mahseer avoid the 'Gorilla' hooks as they are too thick and don't bother with circle hooks.

Only piece of advise while fishing with ragi is wait for the pressure to come on, it's something you WILL feel, then strike as hard as you can :D

Tight lines and let us know how you do.

Regards,

Mighty Marlin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:04 am 

Thanks
Mighty Marlin,

The quality of 40lb Line here in the UK is pretty average , its mainly used for deep sea wreck fishing in the english channel, its generally a clear line with a diameter of 0.60.

does this sound appropriate ?

As for the Owner hooks I will have to get them from the US.

Thanks

andy

Post subject: Mahseer tackle
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:18 am 

Hi Andy

You want 40lb Big Game line (that's 40lb in the old rating), this is very abrasion resistant and still tough when it does get shredded on rocks. It is clear so may have an advantage over coloured line in clear water which you should have there in Feb. Take plenty of line as it can get damaged on the rocks particularly if you get fish that run a long way. Expect to have to re-spool at least once during your trip.
You need about 200 yards or so on your reel to be on the safe side. Reel should be a decent quality, good capacity multiplier which casts well such as Shimano Calcutta, Abu 7000, 9000 ambassadeur etc. Don't expect a cheap multiplier to survive scraps from big mahseer as it's tough on the clutch and the gears. You can get away with a very good quality, very large capacity fixed spool but this will probably put you at a disadvantage for bait fishing but ok for lure fishing.

Forget O'Shaunessy hooks and stick with Owner SSW cutting point hooks in size 6/0 to 8/0. I used to use both sizes but now stick with 7/0's only which will do for ragi and chilwa, a good, reliable and strong hook but not too thick in the wire. You can get these in the UK from Harris Angling as well as a few other places I'm sure but if you know anyone going to the USA soon ask them to get some as they will be much cheaper that way. You should take more than you are likely to need, expect to have to replace them twice a day due to losses and blunting but it will vary - you don't want to run out though. They need to be as sharp as possible so scrap them as soon as they show any signs of blunting as this makes a big difference in hook ups.

A 4 to 10 oz uptide rod should be fine as long as it's reasonable quality. You can get away with a lighter uptider but not if you have to be brutal with a big fish!
Have a look on ebay for bargains, the Greys uptiders with lifetime guarantee may be worth looking at - about £50 but I've not tried them.

For leads you want 4 to 6 inches of rigid boom tube with a spiral of half inch or less wide, roof flashing lead wrapped along it.
You need a bead below the lead and a power gum stop knot so the only knot on the line is the one to the hook.

The above is only a guide and you will probably get a few different opinions!

Good luck and have a fantastic trip.

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:44 am 
Fishaholic

I agree about the O'Shaunessy not being up to the job. The main problem is that the shank is to long for decent bait presentation.
If you want Owner, you don't have to order from the US as they're stocked by Veals.
If you're not fussed about brand, just make sure that the hooks that you buy are built from 4X wire because those stories of mangled hooks are all true.
If you don't want to spend a fortune, have a look at the third product down here: http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalo ... ks_65.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:24 pm 

A big thank you to Andy Pike and Ken L,

Hopefully, god willing and with every other superstious thing crossed and held. I will land a fish of a lifetime.

Im sure the tackle will hold, I have ordered the line and hooks and any other tips you can give me about the venue will be most grateful.

For me this is the trip of a lifetime.

many thanks

andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:58 am 

Hi Andy

This will be a trip of a lifetime for you but just don't expect it to be the last
as it is very addictive!

Are you going to Galibore camp with Dave Plummer?

Andy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:04 pm 
Enlightened

Andy,
Have just returned from the Cauvery having fished it a few times.
I wouldn't use any hook other than a size 7/0 or 8/0 Owner SSW. I have always used 40 lb Daiwa Sensor in the past as it is cheap and very tough - you cna afford to change it every day if you needed to, unlike the more expensive lines like Big Game. It is essential to have your reels as full as possible, and after a fish it is often necessary to cut off 30-40 yards of 'scuffed' line, which basically means you need to respool.
This trip i used 40 Gamma (clear) and it was brilliant, didn't have a single cut-off despite having it running around rocks whilst playing a fish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:49 pm 
Fishaholic

Just a few alternatives you may want to consider:

-Hooks: I use 7/0 Gamakatsu Octopus 4X. Have not failed me in the fish-hooking/landing dept, ever. Easier to re-sharpen with a ceramic stone. Hooks get blunt often in this rocky river. Normally, I press down the barb, to ease in the hooking. Have lost a good mahseer when the hook didn't penerate past the barb, so now it's standard practice for me.

-Lead: I use flat lead strip or large soldering wire (2mm diam.) wound over this sticky silicone tube. Twist the wire, and the tube grips the mainline. Thus no need to use Power Gum and such.

-I check line and hook everytime I reel in. In any case, I change the mainline after 3 days' fishing, max.

-I swear by Maxima Chameleon 40-lb (for me, price is not a factor when it comes to hooks and lines!). Diam. 0.60 mm. Have fought a big fish for an hour, it snagged among the rocks 5 times, then circled round a sunken bush. More than 30m. of line got "squared off" or flattened, and still it held. That's testimony enuff! Other good lines we have used are Sufix Synergy 10X (grey-green) 40-lb , and Berkely Ironsilk (green) 50-lb (about the same diameter).

-For spinning spinning reels, some good models: Shimano Baitrunner 6500 (big spool); Thunnus 16000; Penn Spinfisher 8500 or 9500; Daiwa BG90. These are robust reels with reliable drags.

><<:>