->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:10 am

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: Trip to the north
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:31 pm 
Enlightened

Just got back from a trip to the Ganges and Ramganga. Enjoyed my two week stay although the fishing was very slow.
Blanked on the Ganges and had a 10 lb black mahseer on the Ramganga plus a golden of 9 lb, although saw bigger fish.
Was very disappointed to see that dynamiting is still prevalent on the Ganges. Whilst i was at Beas Ghat for five days dynamiting occured on two of them, makes you wonder what happens to the fish when they come back down the side river to spawn.
The highlight of my trip, other than catching a couple of mahseer, was finding the pugmarks of a leopard and her cub. Didn't manage to see them but found fresh pugs each day.
Back to the freezing cold of England for five weeks before i travel back out to the Cauvery for three weeks - just hope the water levels have dropped enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:06 pm 
Fishaholic

Gary, any chance of a picture of the black mahseer ?
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:41 pm 
Enlightened

Owen,
I'll try and work out how to post one up or alternatively could e-mail one to you. Have since looked at my pics and not 100 per cent convinced it is a proper black mahseer rather than a very dark golden one - it has black fins but the scales still have a golden edge. My ghillie was convinced it was a black mahseer.
Hopefully you'll be able to tell me either way, certainly looks different to the black ones I've seen on the Cauvery, but then so do the golden ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:35 am 
Fishaholic

Either way it is a rare one Gary.
Posting on image shack is not too difficult, but i will send you a PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:13 pm 
Fishaholic

Where on the Ramganga did you fish? Marchula? I second the call for pics :-)
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:55 pm 
Enlightened

Yaj,
I was staying at Bikyasen, right by the temple where Jeremy Wade filmed some of his Jungle Hooks series, second time I've fished there. Fished a few different stretches upstream as well.
Saw a few better fish as well, had two chasing my lure but one pushed the other out of the way and both missed it. Also had a goonch go for the lure. All of this was after a funeral finished upstream of us and the tipped the pyre into the river, the fish all came up onto the shallows and were going mad.
Will be going back next year for sure, probably tie it in with a trip up to Pancheshwar on the Kali.