->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:57 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:36 pm 

Hi, I am a crazy fishing dude from sweden who is very interested in trying out fishing for masheer someday.

What I wonder is, what time of the year is the "best" fishing season? And where in the country is (you can IM certain camps if you like) is the fishing at its best?

If you travel all the way from sweden in the europe to India, fishing for masheer you will most certain check up to fish somewhere rather effective :P

Also, I am not the guy to expects to have a tremendous fishing. But I would be grateful if I got any masheer at all. So, how big are the chances of landing one, really?

Thanks for looking at stupid questions ;)
/Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi There Sg,

You've come to the right place.

As for your first question - 'best' time. NOW! in the north. Through nov, dec, jan, feb in the south. and then back up north for march, april, may and june. Though the heat will knock over most of your party.

Then there is the second question - Your chances of landing one? Hmmmm slim to a maybe. Mahseer are not very cooperative. Get the right guide and place and time and lure and weather..... and your chances go up to a wee bit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi and Welcome'
I think M'Ken has explained abundantly - and once you are hooked on to a Mahseer - its really a lifetime trip
Cheers ... Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:35 pm 
Fishaholic

M'ken. Have mercy. Give him some names on river spots, licenses and lodging available and how to get there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:27 pm 
Fishaholic

Ashok! Would love to but the specific needs have to come from him. What I mean is that I could give him all the places in HP but the man could be heading for Arunachal. :D :D

Anyway, my mother told me when I was little, some time ago but not very long, not to talk to strangers.

So Sg get in to the flow and give a little before you take. :wink: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:37 pm 

hi mate

i hope this email finds you well.

ive now fished for mahseer 3 times in my fairly short angling career and i have caught a good fish on each trip, so dont be to worried about not catching and think big!!!!

for your first trip i would suggest an organised trip with people who can get you to the right places and give you the right outlook for this particular sports.....ive never fished in the south of India so i cant really comment on how good it is, but i do hear very good things and tales of epic fights in heavy water. but the north of India holds great facination for me in the fishing stories i have read over the years in many books from the days when the going was good...and this just totally started me off on the mahseer path,

my biggest fish from the last 2 years fishing was 42lb, 35lb and 22lb so not bad for a beginner, and when i caught the 35lb it was done with only 3 days fishing...so never be worried of the conditions, you can only do your best and if you dont happen to drag up a bigge, you get the knowledge and experiance of just being on the river and thats worth its weight in gold when Mahseer fishing...so think big!!!

take care

chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

Simon, North India is famous for the Golden mahseer ie. Tor Putitora which is a truly beautiful fish. The fish down south are mostly Tor Mussulah ie. Humpbacked mahseer and the Tor Khudree aka blue fin mahseer. The Cauvery river in south India holds the biggest mahseer with fish around the 100lb mark caught almost every year. If you are keen on just catching a mahseer and not really particular about weight it does not matter whether you fish in North India or in the South. If a trophy fish is what you want, then the Cauvery near Bangalore is your best bet.

Cheers
IA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:44 pm 
Fishaholic

Sg wrote:
Hi, I am a crazy fishing dude from sweden who is very interested in trying out fishing for masheer someday.

What I wonder is, what time of the year is the "best" fishing season? And where in the country is (you can IM certain camps if you like) is the fishing at its best?

If you travel all the way from sweden in the europe to India, fishing for masheer you will most certain check up to fish somewhere rather effective :P

Also, I am not the guy to expects to have a tremendous fishing. But I would be grateful if I got any masheer at all. So, how big are the chances of landing one, really?

Thanks for looking at stupid questions ;)
/Simon

Välkommen till Indian Angler Simon ;) !
Försök besök Gangtok i norra West Bengal där finns det en hel del Mahseer att fånga. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:28 am 
Fishaholic

Aircut64 wrote:
Försök besök Gangtok i norra West Bengal där finns det en hel del Mahseer att fånga. ;)

Duh!!!! What was that????? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:34 am 
Fishaholic

Tathagata wrote:
Aircut64 wrote:

I Welcomed him in Swedish ;) ! hehe pretty funny :)

and yeah I know... This is a English forum ^^.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the translation, just kidding buddy… :D :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:44 am 
Fishaholic

Aircut64 wrote:
Tathagata wrote:
Aircut64 wrote:

Nice welcome there .. hmm gangtok offers good Mahaseer deals.. please tell us more in ENGLISH. :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:38 am 
Fishaholic

santosh wrote:
Aircut64 wrote:
Tathagata wrote:
Aircut64 wrote:

Nice welcome there .. hmm gangtok offers good Mahaseer deals.. please tell us more in ENGLISH. :D :D

Yeah I told him that in Swedish :) !
Well I'll try to visit Gangtok and look for some masheer by myself to :D the next time !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:43 pm 
Fishaholic

Quote:
Välkommen till Indian Angler Simon !
Försök besök Gangtok i norra West Bengal där finns det en hel del Mahseer att fånga.

Fluffin kakas... Have just read a thread where a member wanted the carp ground bait recipe in Urdu.. Now we have welcome notes in Swede...

IA GONE INTERNATIONAL, LITERALLY !!! :lol: :lol: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:23 pm 

GLEM IKKE SALTVANDET, HVOR DER SERIØSE BARRAMUNDI + GIANT TREVALLY + "HORNGADDAR" OVER 200 CM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:13 pm 
Enlightened

The fishing on the Cauvery is far easier than on the Himalayan rivers and more predictable, but if you want truely wild fishing then head north.
If you go to one of the camps on the Cauvery or with one of the guides who offer organised trips then your chances of catching a mahseer are very high, it is rare that i get any totally blank days when I'm there, and there is also a chance of a real big one.
Bheemeshwari fishes well from the start of December onwards (sometimes earlier but water levels can be unpredictable then) and then Galibore tends to fish from January onwards after the water flow from the dam is shut off and the river drops.
The north offers some very interesting fishing and catching any mahseer is a result, when I'm there I'm just happy to catch and if a big one comes along then that is even better. The fishing can be unpredicatable though and any rain can wreck the fishing for a few days as the rivers colour up quickly.
It also depends on whether you prefer bait or lure fishing, if you like your lure fishing then head north.
I have spent around 14 weeks in India over the last three years, both in the north and south, and have enjoyed all of it. It is far more than being just about the fishing, waking up at dawn on the banks of a deserted Himalayan river and watching the various forms of wildlife as you drink your first cup of chai of the day before going out fishing can't be beaten.