->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:56 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

Post subject: My first big Masheer
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:28 pm 
Fishaholic

My Masheer 1973 .

There is a river in the Mountains about 40 KMs from my home in south India which flows through a stretch of lush topical forest. The waters are fast and furious interspaced with deep still pools. Those were days where you couldn’t find artificial lures like spinners or spoons in the market. Whatever fishing equipment we had came from friends and relatives living abroad. I got a Spinning reel and a seven foot rod loaded with 14 Lb line by Mail from the USA along with half a dozen small spinners suitable for Trout I presumed. I took one of These Spinners And sat down with a Black Smith/ Tinker to enlarge the spinner. The end product was a 4 1/2 inch copper beauty with a buck tail contributed by one of our hens.
Armed with my equipment I landed up on the river Bank. It was about 7 AM and the sun light was filtering through the Huge Trees above. The monkeys were kicking up a racket. In front of me about 20 yards in front was a still deep pool and a shaft of sunlight penetrated the water like somebody was showing a torch beam into the pool. I tied my spinner and made one cast. The spinner hit the water at the outer edge of the pool and exactly as the spinner entered the beam of light, every thing after that happened in slow motion. A Bronze Monster about 4 feet just materialized in that shaft of light and inhaled that spinner. I froze I couldn’t strike or crank the reel or any thing. The fish remained suspended in that light also frozen. Then Every thing happened in a blur the fish just turned around with a flick of its tail , the line went cutting through the water, and snapped ,without even a murmur from my drag.
I have been fishing that river every year since then, caught many a monster from there but still the memory is etched so clear in my mind and every time I cast into that River I expect that Bronze Monster to Materialize out of no where .

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:51 pm 
Fishaholic

HI Jeen,

nice one. Like diving into the memory bag & pulling out another classic.
Some of you guys better write these down & I'm sure you would get a best seller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:58 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey Jeen that was a nice read man! Thanks!
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:28 pm 
Fishaholic

Great Reading your experience.It was indeed well written.
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:35 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Jeen, enjoyed reading the story.
Cheers
Sualeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:04 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice memories Jeen .. great read too ... man of many talents ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:41 pm 
Fishaholic

Nice story, Jeen.

I always reflect on my first Mahseer, which was a "distance catch and release" :D

tight lines

Makarand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:12 am 
Fishaholic

Nice one Jeen.

I think every one has there first mahseer or first big fish burned into their memories. Thanks for rekindling mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:24 am 
Fishaholic

Great story Jeen,

Many an anglers dream, cing the fish take the Lure and that 2 a monster masheer. Wonderfully put

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:38 am 
Enlightened

Mr. Jeen.....pls let me know the location you are talking about...If it is somewhere near Athirapalli then i can make it sometime during diwali holidays as it is not very far from Valparai(My home town)...I remember you mentioning abt Sholayar dam in your earlier posts...wat kind of hooks work here???? ive been fishing almost all my life and have not caught anything close to wat i see in the pics in the forum...there s a nice place called Meenparai close to Sholayar and i heard of ppl catching huge ones from there.....i'll send pis of it soon...wat bait?? wat hook?? wat time?? cos i think ive been fishing in the worst possible combination of the above three...other ppl pls help me out too

Simon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Simon,

THe spot is between the Peringal kutthu dam and the Athirapilly falls.It has become very difficult to fish there as the Adivasi scouts employed by the forest dept chase all anglers away. They were originaly employed to protect the forests from weekend tourists and forest fires. However these scouts are the main poachers there. They indulge in major dynamiting and netting in all the prime spots.No one to question them as they are the gate keepers. However It is possible to fish there by keeping a low profile and fish early morning 6 to 7.30- 8 . you can drive down from valparai . ( avoid weekends and holidays to keep clear of tourists who will mill around you or tag you along, there by attracting attention. Also avoid taking non anglers with you or sight seeing family , you can do that some other time. )

Tackle to use:- Rapala floating silver or red and silver 4 to 7", jointed rapallas similar size , Mepps no 5 with the trebeles replaced.

If you are spinning ,17 to 20 Lb line if you are using lighter lures, and up to 30lb if your lures are heavier. If you dont get distance on your casts due to bush and branches behind you,just toss thefloating rapala into the main current and let the current take the lure into the deeper pools , all the time letting the line run off your reel . Once you see the plug in the desired spot start retrieving and hold on to your pants.

What ever you do, do it fast as the stretch is going to be submerged .They are building a dam across the river stretch there. There were many protests from enviornmentalists and friends of nature who were able to hold the govt at bay for almost 15 years and as I understand it the central govt has approved the project now.If you read my earlier posts on the chalakudy river you would know that the chalakudy river has, according to Wikipedia, the most no of fish species in a given stretch .Just google Chalakudy river and see...

I would have loved to kick up hell and organise protests.... But me being out of the country makes it very difficult. Any ideas ?? Any body??

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:05 pm 
Fishaholic

Simon ,

Give me location of Meen Parai.Is it Between Sholayar and Malaki parai ? Last month I had some work in Coimbatore .On my way back I drove back via sholayar- to Cochin. Did notice some good spots in the area.

Jeen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:57 pm 
Enlightened

There are two checkposts on the way to Kerala...one is after the dam and the other one comes much before the dam....It is at a place called Urallikal.....immediately after the checkpost you take a right..this road is again guarded by another checkpost. They dont normally let ppl inside cos there is a power station located closeby.....You'll have get permission in advance to enter there...Meenparai is about 12~15 kms from there....There s a guest house there and with proper permission you are allowed to stay there. A guide(forest guard) will take you around...Beautiful place provided you make it there at the right time..A few muggers have been released and during summer when the water level is low they are easily spotted...Amazing place with clear waters and full of fish(although i have not caught anything big there)...Getting proper permission is wat makes the trip a big process....you'll have send a letter to the forest office(pollachi) then visit pollachi to get the order....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:36 pm 
Fishaholic

Very nice writeup Jeen. Your writeup reminds me of the famous story of the guru of Jungle lore, Jim Corbett's "The Fish Of My Dream". The true beauty of angling is it takes you to places where going itself is a pleasure. Very intresting write up. Keep it up.

Regards
Ali.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:29 pm 
Fishaholic

That is one great story by Jim Corbett. Love every detail from how the reel's handle did not snag the line to the hanky on a stick to keep the otters away to the python in the still pool.

Which brings me to the question. In the 80s the ICSC and ISC had a book called 'Jungle Pictures' as part of the syllabus. It also had a story about an old man and the fish of his dreams. Does anyone remember and still have that book. I have looked high and low for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:13 pm 
Fishaholic

While on books anybody read the Emperor by Fedrick Forsyth, its in a book called No Comebacks.