->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:21 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:17 pm 
Fishaholic

I would like to know from all you mahseer experts what your top 5 lures for Mahseer up North are? And what size/brand hooks do you use with bait(Atta/roti/chilwa)?
Area of interest Rishikesh,Ramganga(Marchula)
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:26 pm 
Site Admin

Rapala J13 Trout :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:41 pm 
Fishaholic

You can't go wrong with Owner Aki Twist 6/0 to 8/0 for use with chilwa.
There are other companies that make similar pattern hooks that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:47 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks for the input guys! Keep it coming :-)
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:03 pm 
Fishaholic

PLUGS

FAST RIVERS
Jointed 11/13 silver, brook trount, gold, Fire tiger and plain ole trout

Floating Magnums 9/11 for slow runs (no snags) Silver/ green back

LAKES n SLOW DEEP RIVERS
Shad Raps 7 Silver, Shad, Baby Bass, Fire tiger

Tail Dancer / Deep Tail Dancer Gold/Shad/Silver

Barra buster Silver / orange

SPOONS

Lil Cleo

Toby mediums

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:20 pm 
Fishaholic

Mahaseerken wrote:
PLUGS

SPOONS

Lil Cleo

Toby mediums

I swear by those two!!!

switch between bass and silver tobys' depending on the light conditions.... also try out kast masters while you are at it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:22 pm 
Fishaholic

This thread going to cost me some thousand rupees :D :D

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:56 am 
Fishaholic

kanwar76 wrote:

-Inder

why do you say that???? last i checked, home made spoons work for me... try eljefe... he is a master spoon maker!!! :-) :-) :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:00 am 
Fishaholic

Ken,IG thanks for the suggestions! Would love your input on the locations thread too
http://www.indianangler.com/viewtopic.php?t=1158
Thanks,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:52 pm 
Fishaholic

indiangypsy wrote:
kanwar76 wrote:

-Inder

why do you say that???? last i checked, home made spoons work for me... try eljefe... he is a master spoon maker!!! :-) :-) :-)

Nothing Much IG,

Was thinking of getting some gud plugs for north but didn't know which ones to buy and then this thread came along..

Aaaah Good doc's bathroom made spoons... :D recently lost a chance to try them but yep suggestion noted down..... Now where is doc... :D :D

-Inder

Post subject: Something new
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:02 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,
Doon forests are full of Sal trees and these are full of Cicada. The forests resonate with their sound at night.
The cicada dies naturally and is swept into the Ganges . the story at the Kumaon region would not be very different. this is obviously natural food for fish.
Accordingly these were brought in about 6 months back and though they have not been tried in above said areas - but in other areas there were 2 hook ups.
Needs to be worked on more .
in the centre is the cicada put belly up to show U how it will appear to the fish.see the fine markings on the wings.
Feel it will work for Sol aswell
WW....hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:10 am 
Fishaholic

Aha!

Yaj what i forgot to add to that list is the Hamdhingra Special. Probably the most effective lure up north. But it remains a mystery for good reason.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:40 am 
Fishaholic

In person I promise to give out all information-show U all the lures and those lures that not only work -but are all time killers. I have atleast 10 on the killers list and available with me.But then what happens to conservation ? I have never given a lure to any person other than anglers. I regard it as a sin to give lures to locals and sometimes when my lure is snagged and broken -I tell then I have got it out - so that they do not go after it.
WW ...Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:53 am 
Fishaholic

:D :D :D

Just kidding Ham. Will love to see the lures but I think there is more fun in finding your own sure shots. This way you get to understand things better.

Agree with you about giving away lures. I don't for two reasons. The first being that I love and collect them so I am a bit stingy. Second and more importantly coz they are misused and fish are killed. I think your ploy about telling the natives that the plug/lure came back is a good one. will start using that now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Ham, if you wish to keep your lure confidential send out a PM to those interested instead of posting on the main forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Hamdhingra wrote:
In person I promise to give out all information-show U all the lures and those lures that not only work -but are all time killers. I have atleast 10 on the killers list and available with me.But then what happens to conservation ? I have never given a lure to any person other than anglers. I regard it as a sin to give lures to locals and sometimes when my lure is snagged and broken -I tell then I have got it out - so that they do not go after it.
WW ...Hamdhingra

Hey Ham ,your secret will be safe with me! It will be strictly catch and release.Only an occasional trout if permissible (and if landed :wink: )maybe kept.Would'nt dream of keeping a Mahseer!
Those cicada imitations maybe tough to find here :-(
Regards,
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:24 pm 
Fishaholic

damn those cicadas are toight!!!! i wonder if home made cicada look alikes will work... what says you doc???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:52 pm 
Fishaholic

Hey M'ken,
Quote - "I think there is more fun in finding your own sure shots. This way you get to understand things better. "
I could not more agree with U - if we gave out all info too quickly - fishing would cease to be a sport of the mind.
Couple of yrs back took 3 kids fishing.First 3 casts and 3 fish landed and the kids said -is this fishing ? its so easy.
Next trip same 3 kids - God was on my side this time-same place - 4 hrs casting no fish- and the same kids remarked differently.
I feel when we do not get fish it increases our resolve to get to them !
Tight Lines
Hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:02 pm 
Fishaholic

Bops,
I like your idea .

Yaj- I will send out a PM to you. and please do fish and take your fair share of fish.I am not a conservationist alltogether. If I can contibute to making ur trip a success -I will be happy.
Cheers...hamdhingra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:16 pm 
Fishaholic

Dhingra Saab,

One PM from me too :)

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:00 pm 
Fishaholic

Thanks Ham! Much obliged!
Yaj.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:26 am 
Fishaholic

Hey I am confused abt the size of spoons for north ..please advice..

-Inder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:45 am 
Fishaholic

Hamdhingra wrote:
I feel when we do not get fish it increases our resolve to get to them !
Tight Lines
Hamdhingra

Hear Hear!!!!!! Mr Dhingra.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:58 am 
Enlightened

Surprised no one has mentioned Mepps No. 4 and 5 spinners (the weighted Aglia ones), they've worked for me on the Ramganga and work ok on a very slow retrieve, especially good in fast water. You need to change the hook on them though for a decent one
As has already been said trout pattern can be very good, such as the Rapala jointed.

You certainly need different gear to down in the south - took my large Rapala shad raps and my size 6/0 and 8/0 Owners (for bait fishing) and my ghillie laughed at them, he was right though as a more subtle approach - smaller lures and hooks - did work!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:26 am 
Enlightened

a decent fish - even a 10 lbs in fast waters will test the strength of the lure, split rings and hooks. we have had plugs demolished, split rings opened up, hooks straightened and spit out ... there is no mercy and no inch given in a good fight with a decent mahseer.

As the chances of a take with a decent size fish is for anybody with a plug in the water, some pointers to reduce fish damage/loss and more fish returned to the waters safely.

Split rings ... the most critical thing that actually holds everything together - no use for the hook or the plug without strong rings to hold the fish. Any strong tug or shake of the big head will take the hook off the ring. And if it is a big one, if the rings are not strong forget getting him in. Its the most crucial pressure point in the whole tackle beside the knot.

from experience, we throw all the split rings that come with the lures and the hooks. all the aluminium ones, even if they look thick and strong are useless. a must to change rings and hooks.

lures - stick to those that have a central wire running through and strong - one of the best exploratory lures up north is the weakest, always a tough decision to put it into the water - 50% chance of the plug cracking up. the jointed ones are tricky in big rivers - minimise the risks of anything giving way when you have a big one on ... and everybody has the same chance to hook the big one. the skill is in landing it.

there is a lot of discussion on lures with some crazy colourings out there - every week the river changes up north when the fishing season starts for mahseer and different lures work in different times. ones that represent the natural food habits of the fish work best with similar colourings.

look for decent weight min 1/2 oz for decent cast in bigger waters or even ramganga - easier to control the casts with this weight. Minnows and lipless crankbaits with a decent swimming action work best - some noisy ones and some silent ones.

its really a personal thing - collections reflect experience ... i guess every one has stories to tell with the lures over the years.

main thing is to have a strong tackle to ensure less fish lost with hooks and plugs sticking out of their mouths...

one learns by experience to handle a big fish but if the tackle is strong, you fish with confidence and can focus on the fight instead of worrying whats going to give when the fish is darting towards the rapid and the only chance you have is to put all the brakes on immediately ... reel screaming, rod bent over and the sound of the river.