->

INDIANANGLER

India fishing forum for all the information you require on angling, equipment, locations and trip reports.
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:45 pm

All times are UTC+05:30

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:45 pm 
Enlightened

central india is a place worth exploring and is now in my mind for some spring action ... looking for decent size rivers to hold the big ones ... narmada upstream high up, some rivers in the chatisgarh state, and the chambal when it comes into rajasthan... wont fish in MP Chambal even with an AK strapped on my back ...

any one with information - write in.

The search for gold in central india 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:03 pm 
Fishaholic

The Narmada should be good for some redfin mate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:08 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi BG...

The Chambal has some serious silund fishing.... gotta go there with local support or a T 72!!!

Try the area around Pench... good sized red fins there!

will ask around and try to get you some info...

Post subject: Narmada Spring 2008
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:03 am 
Enlightened

Look forward to your inputs guys.

The trip is pure exploration - small tight team with 2 light 10ft inflatables, 2 crew and 3 angler max. Looking for a bait fishing expert capable of handling a bit of white water rowing and catching all the feedstock for the red fins besides sharing in the red fin action.

The idea is to start from the source through the gorge area which will be where the action is till the river hits the flat sections fishing every section and mapping the fishing spots and checking the health of the river. Plan to spend 2 weeks on the river.

Thinking of early March - experience in march in the himalayan rivers is dodgy - unless there is colour through snow melt or rain in the water big fish wont take - small fish will be caught in numbers but the big guys will be lying very low.

Am concerned about the clear water in spring time for big fish.

Any information on water colour in rain fed rivers like Cuavery or any of the Plateau rivers and fish action during Spring season will be helpful for deciding the month of the trip.

Chambal - I know some senior people used to and maybe still fish the lakes around kota and the chambal. Rajasthan sections are fishable and a trip cud be done in February - weekend run - no problem. Id like to fish the river upstream before it comes into the lake - not much of a still water angler. No need for the AK here - the dacoits are all kin and the top cops are class mates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:22 am 
Fishaholic

where do i sign up as a deck hand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:31 pm 
Fishaholic

You guys need any cleaner or a bartender? I can be of immense help to you. :lol: :lol:

Post subject: Chambal
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:30 am 
Fishaholic

Hi,
we fished Chambal for silund and Mahseer last summer . Gandhisagar dam is one good place . The mahseer and silunds will only take when the turbines are working. We with all our tactics and the turbines not running -still got atleast 1 mahseer each. I moved out on a inflatable below G S Dam and though u can see big mahseer roam freely -they will not take till turbines are turned on . Beware there are a lot of crocs there and upto 15 ft in length.They blow the siren before they release water.From the bridge u can see shoals of mahseer below. Ur boat will at places get stuck on top of rocks -and u have to get down and push -and with the crocs around-it is gut wrenching .
Up the Chambal from Kota is again a massive lake with great potential. All lagoons and pools hold good Sol .U can use live frogs Since there are atomic / thermal power plants there,all over on the chambal the security is high. Hope this will help .......Cheers...Ham

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 3:53 pm 
Fishaholic

Hi Bagi,
I speak of the Kaveri.
As you know, the river is dammed at Srirangapatnam, and therefore during the monsoons the water outflow from the dam has to be increased so that max storage level is maintained, but at the same time the dam doesn't go bust.

The rain itself mucks up the colour of the water due to the silt that pours in from the banks, but that clears in a couple of days. What really colours the water is the combination of rain and heavy water flow in and out of the dam. And as you know that can be a real turn off for the mahseer.

I think it's safe to say, that you need to see your toes in 3 to 4 ft of water to have much of a chance of a mahseer take. Though at times a bright spoon or a chilwa can produce the odd good fish in slightly murky water.

High water levels usually mean colder water, and our southern bretheren aren't too happy about eating in the cold, so fishing is invaribly slower than when the water is of medium level.

Most of our southern mahseer tend to move up river (when rivers permit) just before the monsoons. As the water levels begin to drop, which is usually in december. they make their way down to their summer haunts in the rapids and deep pools.
As summer sets in and the water levels drop, and warms up a bit, the fish begin to feed more freely. But as summer progresses, water levels begin to drop rapidly and the shallow water tempreature begins to rise.
The larger fish move into deeper pools and lay low most of the time.
Due to water treaties between southern states, there are unexpected releases of water from the dams, which can make your entire calculations go haywire.

Then comes that magical moment, when they start to move up river again.

Anyone who has seen this mass movement of fish, will vouch that it indeed is a sight to behold.
The water is usually clear and shallow enough to see the fish gradually move upriver. Stopping occasionaly at the top of fast water stretches to take a breather.
I have been told by reliable sources that in times gone by, the bed of the river would be covered with fish in stretches, as they made their way up river, but they usually aren't too interested in a meal on their way up.

Thats it mate. Make what you will of it.
Regards
Owen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:06 pm 
Fishaholic

OB have u any personal experience of this migration of fish..?
any incidents or recollections u can share with us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:03 pm 
Fishaholic

Yes i have seen this happen just once on the Kaveri. If i remember correctly it was late in the month of May.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:41 pm 
Enlightened

interested in the section from on top of the plateau approx altitude 4500 ft to 1000 ft where there are chances of gold - also the gorge areas will be quiet, rapids and pools, nice swims - hopefully will be good terrain for gold. not recced as yet. need decent water levels for a raft though.